Stupid ebay prices

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
evilnailman
Peasant

Stupid ebay prices

Post by evilnailman »

I understand and accept why people pay premium prices for collectable sets etc. on ebay, I've done it myself. But why would you pay £9.5 for a green baseplate or £14.5 for a grey one. Just don't see the logic in this, it's not like they're hard to come by :spin:

Matt
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Re: Stupid ebay prices

Post by JoshWedin »

I think it's because there are many collectors on Ebay who don't know about the larger community. Way back in the day, when I was new to the hobby, Ebay was the only way I knew to get the stuff I wanted. I found out about Bricklink (BrickBay back then) from a seller who sold stuff on both. Actually I think his Ebay auctions were designed as advertising for his Bricklink store.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
evilnailman
Peasant

Post by evilnailman »

Yes, I'm sure most people don't know about bricklink, or wouldn't even think about buying lego 2nd hand on the internet. I didn't myself until a couple of years ago.

I just don't follow why you would pay double the retail price of something that's not a colllectors item and IS STILL AVAILABLE in every toy shop plus online retailers, it's not like we're talking about yellow castle or guarded inn, or something. Why pay extra for a baseplate? If it's going to be a trend, I'll sell all my tatty old ones, then truck down to the local toy shop and buy double the number of new ones with my cash :lol:

Matt
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

I wondered that for a while too actually and always got a kick out of someone trying to sell sets that are currently available for quite a bit more than retail. And it's not just high-demand sets like Star Wars sets or exclusive sets either. The only thing I can think is the people selling that kind of stuff are targeting people who don't pay attention to anything else, or they are hoping to sell the set internationally, to someone in a country where that set may not be available.

I think my favorite so far has been the people who downloaded the barcode cheat-sheet .pdf file for the collectible minifigures off brickset and are now selling it on ebay for anywhere from $3 - 5.
eilonwy77
Archer

Post by eilonwy77 »

I didn't know about bricklink for awhile, so I can understand a reliance on ebay. But still... a quick google search can help you compare prices and realize when you're being swindled...
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

Okay well I'm going to approach this from the other side right now. I do use ebay...to sell MISB sets and individual figs. Why? Well its a fast sell for me. If I put those sets on bricklink, I could wait up to forever for someone to buy them. On ebay, I tend to make a GOOD sale, quick and even though people do complain about the fees that you have to pay to sell on ebay, I don't mind. I want these sets to sell, not stay around.

When I am looking for a set to buy for prizes for contests, I absolutely do not look at bricklink for that set. Bricklink's set prices are INSANE. No wonder sets don't sell that fast on there. There have been times where I have gotten MISB set on ebay for 1/2 what it is listed on Bricklink. Specifically the prize I used for the Job Muellers contest AND the one I donated to this year's CCC master builder prize.

Also, I find very rare and unique things on ebay for highly reasonable prices. They make great gifts. I use LEGO sheets to sew amazing things.

So while all of you can sit here and say negatives about ebay. I am presenting the positives. Is it great? Nah, I'm not saying that, but there are some really good aspects to ebay. If you are looking for individual parts? Forget it.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Bluesecrets wrote:So while all of you can sit here and say negatives about ebay. I am presenting the positives. Is it great? Nah, I'm not saying that, but there are some really good aspects to ebay. If you are looking for individual parts? Forget it.
I don't think we are bashing Ebay. I use it all the time. I think evilnailman's question was why people are paying so much for something that is available for much cheaper, from a variety of other sources.
evilnailman wrote:I just don't follow why you would pay double the retail price of something that's not a colllectors item and IS STILL AVAILABLE in every toy shop plus online retailers, it's not like we're talking about yellow castle or guarded inn, or something. Why pay extra for a baseplate? If it's going to be a trend, I'll sell all my tatty old ones, then truck down to the local toy shop and buy double the number of new ones with my cash :lol:
The other issue is that those inflated prices may not be selling. If you still see it, it wasn't sold. I'm sure some people have paid those prices, but only if they are too busy or lazy to look around. There are a number of rare items that I keep an eye on and I see the exact same auction reposted over and over, because no one is willing to pay the starting bid. Slightly different scenario, but I think it applies.

One other issue, regarding baseplates, is that they also may not be aware that you can buy stuff on Lego.com. More far fetched, but it didn't occur to me to check there for quite awhile at first. Also, my local stores seldom have a decent supply of baseplates. Just a thought.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Funnyham
Laborer

Post by Funnyham »

You also have to take into consideration that people who have little or no knowledge of LEGO but come by some are likely to sell things on Ebay, as Bricklink is not a "well known" site, and will also have little knowledge of the price. For instance, yesterday I picked up a "Gold City Junction" for £13.99, which is not to be sniffed at...
A MOC a day keeps the doctor away.
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

It is not the sellers who should be ashamed. It's not their fault and nobody is making people pay those prices. The worth of an item is determined by the buyers; not the sellers because said item is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. This world is completely chock full of stoopid people (we all have those moments) and it's the consumers problem that they did not do their due diligence to find out if what they are buying is available somewhere else for a better price.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Green Knight
Serf

Post by Green Knight »

I have seen a 1998 starwars set about the size of the gesture (Kingdoms) and it was $150. I will never forget that. ( there where no bids.I wonder why?)
My sword cries for your blood.
evilnailman
Peasant

Post by evilnailman »

evilnailman wrote:The other issue is that those inflated prices may not be selling. If you still see it, it wasn't sold.
Josh
No, they were final prices, they were items that I had "watched", then forgotten to big on until too late. I only remembered to check back when paying for another item I had won - ironically, other baseplates which I got for a bargain price. :lol:

Matt
KarenJ
Foot Soldier

Post by KarenJ »

I was researching some prices for Hogwarts Castle (4709) yesterday, and this is my result:

MSRP= 90.00

Amazon= 399.99-460.00 MISB

Ebay (completed auctions)=
97.00 (box, instructions present but missing pieces)
99.00 (missing brooms, accessories, wands, and boat)
131.50 (complete, assembled once, with box and instructions)

Bricklink=
85.00 (castle only, no minifigs or accessories)
145.00 (like new, with box & instructions)
Karen

Left dark ages Jan '07
eilonwy77
Archer

Post by eilonwy77 »

That just shows how important it is to do research and check around.

Ebay was really great for building up our duplo collection. Once we had the basic pieces I used bricklink to fill in the gaps with some special things.
Sir Osis of Liver
Villein

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

I've been guilty of paying what could be seen as inflated prices for LEGO sets off eBay. This is mainly due to a lack of local availability of the set (ie exclusives that are only available to limited markets), or to get a better price on the set. For instance I recently purchased a MISB Star Wars set #10195 (Dropship with AT-OT walker) from an eBay seller. The price was $249 USD which is the same as the current US S@H price for the set. However, I live in Canada where the price in the current S@H catalogue is $349.99 CDN. The seller was offering free shipping so my total cost was approximately $265 CDN after the exchange rate. If I had purchased this set through S@H I would have paid 349.99 + $45.50 in sales tax + $20 for shipping for a total cost of $415.49 CDN. I was able to save approximately $150 in this transaction. By looking at the math I could have paid a lot more than the current US S@H price and still gotten a bargain. That said, I can't figure out anyone buying common items like baseplates at higher prices either???
RiseBelow71
Serf

Post by RiseBelow71 »

I have also payed for alot of things on ebay simply because I never knew about brick link before a while ago, but however I have noticed that some items on ebay are cheaper than on ebay recently i picked up a black falcons fortress for only 50 bucks so it depends if you can find a good deal, alot of older and rarer items on ebay go for less because of the seller doesn't know how much that the set is actually worth and sells for alot less.