WARHAMMER?

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Green Fox
Bailiff

WARHAMMER?

Post by Green Fox »

Anyone tried playing Warhammer with lego figs? I do it myself, and it is considerably cheaper than buying the actual models... :wink:
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

I couldn't say I've ever tried, but it sounds like a good idea.
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

Yes.

LR
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Yup, since some of my friends lost interest in LEGO and began Warhammer. They had there Warhammer army against my LEGO army, and it was fun.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

We have real live Warhammer via Lego battles in this house....on the North side of the study lives my Hubby`s collection of Warhammer/Napoleonic/AK47/etc figures....over thirty years worth of buying and painting. And on the South Wall is my collection of Lego/Playmobil....also amassed over a lengthy period.

In the middle of the carpet lies the Neutral Zone.......

We`ve used all sorts of rules for playing scenarios with Lego but frankly I don`t recall any of them because he`s always the Gamesmaster and usually it was when our wargaming pals were round and we had consumed a trifle too much beer.

Our kids like playing with their LOTR GW miniatures on top of sets built from Lego too.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

never heard of warhammer. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

Never heard of WARHAMMER?? well well http://www.games-workshop.com/tabletop.htm here it is. now to explain cuick. its really small miniatures you first hawe to paint and then you can play whit them, its a game whit a lot of rules but its quite fun.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I kind of like to explain it as a advanced game of chess. Guys can do different things, move bigger or less distances and you have a 3D playing area with trees, hills, cliffs, castles, villiages, rivers, etc. Brikwars is somewhat based on it.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
msucymbal
Gong Farmer

Warhammer Basing issue

Post by msucymbal »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else had done this....Hallelujah! Quick question, though. I want to build a Brettonian army, but I have no idea how to reasonably fit each minfig on a 20 cm base so that I can get 5 across in a standard unit tray. And let's not even talk about the horses! Any ideas? How do you folks do it? And do you play against folks who use just GW minis?

Lots of questions, I know....thanks for any answers you can provide!

T.J. Mitchell
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Re: Warhammer Basing issue

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

msucymbal wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else had done this....Hallelujah! Quick question, though. I want to build a Brettonian army, but I have no idea how to reasonably fit each minfig on a 20 cm base so that I can get 5 across in a standard unit tray. And let's not even talk about the horses! Any ideas? How do you folks do it? And do you play against folks who use just GW minis?

Lots of questions, I know....thanks for any answers you can provide!

T.J. Mitchell
Could you give the correct dimensions (width and depth) for a base and all information pertaining thereto (minimum figs per base side-to-side and front-to-back, must it be able to be broken down as casualties mount or does it stay a fixed frontage, etc.). I can give you some ideas if I have those numbers - I don't actually play Warhammer, but I've already run through the same kind of thing for Fantasy Rules.

(20 cm would be about 7.8 inches or 57 studs on a Lego baseplate, which is tremondously oversized for a mere five figures, and Lego figs are wider than 25mm metal figs for the most part, so I think you left something out or got something wrong).
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
msucymbal
Gong Farmer

20 mm

Post by msucymbal »

Let me ammend my post....20 'mm' for a base, not 20 'cm'.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Re: 20 mm

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

msucymbal wrote:Let me ammend my post....20 'mm' for a base, not 20 'cm'.
Ahhh, that's what I expected you meant. 20mm is awfully small for a Lego minifig. 30mm is just under the size of 4x4 studs, and that's the best size to comfortably mount a fig facing forward with no overlap. It gives you some room for shields and weapons. 3 studs can be done but it gets really cramped especially if you use shields. But 3 studs is still more than 20mm. So, you are down to staggering the figs front to back or turning them sideways and have their head face forward. Either that or simply expand to a larger scale and only play Lego against Lego (which will look better anyway).

One of the things I was looking for in a set of miniature rules was the ability to reasonably handle Lego figs. Warhammer really doesn't do that.

What I would do is mount the figs on a 2x2 baseplate. Then I would use double-sided tape to attach that to a small flexible magnet (you can find them in strips or sometimes sheets - they can be cut to fit easily). Then you can attach the figs to a correct size metal movement plate (thin tin works). The magnet allows easy removal from the movement plate and you can position the figs as tight as possible.

Dunno about mounted figures, though. They take at least six studs in length, not counting any tail or head overhang. You don't mention base depth, but six studs is just over 45mm.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

Well, I would do this if I could be bothered to lern the rules!
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
Aviah102
Laborer

Post by Aviah102 »

Ahhh warhammer... I started that game about 5 years ago. The first bad thing that happened from this was that by taking up warhammer as a hobby, I started to lose a small amount of interest in my legos. A couple of months ago, after spending an unimaginable amount of money (Because I tryed out many warhammer armies in both fantasy and 40k, usually getting a lot from an army and deciding not to be them), i finally came to the conclusion that i would have been much better off if i had stuck to collecting legos. Now with that money lost and only about 14 battles of warhammer played, I have decided to stick with legos as they are much more fun. When doing anything with legos there is less to think about and more to do. How does this lego roleplay game work?
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

I use Risk figures, which is very easy, you just call the black and the green guys the 'Uruk-Hai', draw Helms deep, and the red army are the 'Rohhirim' or something like that.
And it is very cheap, too, altough you need more imagination you do get around 60 figures for each army.
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"