New Castle Set #5929

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

New Castle Set #5929

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... d=10912358

It appears that this little set is now available to the public through Toys 'R' Us. It's being sold as a brick box for younger builders, comparable to set #6193 (http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/6193-1) which came out a couple of years ago. From the images, and assuming it's comparable to 6193, I expect that this ought to have a decent spread of basic bricks and specialized pieces.
Lethke
Serf

Re: New Castle Set #5929

Post by Lethke »

Looks nice.

Getting a door like that relatively cheap aint bad. :)
Shame about the white window's though, would have preferred if they came in either grey or brown.
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Oooh looky! I think this is far superior to the creator castle set from '08 but that may be my preference for red instead of yellow. Maybe it's the new door. I could even be the Kingdoms chainmail fig which probably is in my top five all time castle minifigs. I really hope they give us another version of that door with the hinges on the opposite side. The old mold was a bit more versatile.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Evil Ben
Freeman

Post by Evil Ben »

Good spot! That dragon build is absurdly cute.

I quite liked the 6193 set (nothing wrong with yellow castles...) but this does look better in terms of the colour scheme, and seems to be a good selection of useful parts. Lethke's got a good point about the windows, but, speaking purely selfishly, this actually makes the set more appealing to me - I've managed to build up quite a stack of brown and black ones, but have very few of the white, which until now seem to have appeared mainly in quite expensive sets.
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

For $11 this ain't a bad set! It has some really neat parts, especially the door.
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

Well, it's a nice little set, for sure, it has less price per fig value than 7949, but has some interresting parts, enough to make a nice cart, the door and windows are the nice part, plus, there are the bars instead of the grille most seen recently to fill the frames. And, last but not least, a barrel, which is always welcome, one can never get enough barrels, since it is reddish brown, it would have been nice to get the according cover too. Too bad there are not much extra parts, except for cheese round 1x1, and the key (2 on sprue).
Also, I think it is an exclusive, the helmet is bluish gray (med stone gray).
All in all, it has more castle-useable specific parts than the 6193, this is quite an improvement over the previous one.

I wanted to make an oven for the milled flour I will get off of my forecoming windmill, so I made an attempt off only the bricks from this set.
I'm quite happy with this, note that the building techniques are not very impressive, but it is the level I'm probably gonna settle for a while, MOCs that are Lego-able, built such a way it could have been created by TLC for a set or an alternate.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
Zilberfrid
Villein

Post by Zilberfrid »

Seeing as this set contains a suit of mail, a door and a few windows, I'll add quite a few to my collection (I have one, and found it adequate).

I was a bit peeved at first because the helmet is grey instead of silvery, I guess I have been spoiled, but the grey helm will make for a nice element in buildings, for statues, and Conwy like crenellation ornaments.
Fraslund
Robin Goodfellow

Post by Fraslund »

I have found this set a great source for parts (after we built one for my son of course) I have managed to get 4 of these sets for the parts on sale from my local Fred Meyer.
Hikaro Takayama
Villein

Post by Hikaro Takayama »

Yes, I also recently picked up one of these handy sets, as others have said, definitely chock-full of useful parts (and a good torso).... As for the Helmet, it would be great for those seeking to replicate the old, classic, Yellow Castle era of Knights (iirc, they had light gray helms of this type), but I use custom helmets anyways, so it's no big deal either way... Definitely worth the $11, if I don't say so myself! (Might have to get me another couple sometime in the near future).
Captain Darling: "Look, I'm as British as Queen Victoria!"
Capt. Edmund Blackadder: "So, you're telling me that your father was German, you're half-German and you married a German?"