Weekly Set Review: Dwarves' Mine Defender

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Rick-Ricks
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Weekly Set Review: Dwarves' Mine Defender

Post by Rick-Ricks »

I bought this set twice. This was a large source of my goblin/troll/orc/whatever you call them army, and my only source of dwarves. As a set, I dislike it, but since I buy sets for parts this is a nice haul for the low price I got it at.
Pros:
Brown Slopes and Plates
Chain
Figs
Price
Cons:
Saw Blades: They aren't very useful in castle MOCs.
Tyranus
Serf

Post by Tyranus »

A neat little set. The minifigs are the main attraction, and I like the orc (ahem - troll) banner. The dwarves are always cool, but it's odd that this one has no weapon.
The machine itself is decent. I never found the blades very capable, they never really rotated smoothly, but it's a nice design overall, and you can indeed play with it.

So:
8/10 for figures
7/10 for design
6/10 for function
7/10 for playability

So that's a 7/10.
When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth -- George Bernard Shaw
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

I think I bought at least five of these (great for parts and three figs for $10). I actually found a way to make two of this set (and like 10 other common parts in my collection) into a decent bipedal steampunk dwarven warmachine. I admit I'm not a fan of the set design, but in small sets for me it boils down to value per piece, and this set wins big here. 8.5/10
Back to the front!