New York Toy Fair 2011

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Re: New York Toy Fair 2011

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

I quite like the idea of one piece chickens. What I used to build, I was always afraid that they just looked like little blobs of LEGO and nobody would know what they were unless they could draw the proper context. The chickens from MMV were better in this respect but still use some really nice building elements that I can put to use elsewhere. To me there's nothing worse than pulling out some chickens to use and finding that Col. Sanders has already taken the breasts or wings off them.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

Very funny Trevor! I certainly add to this problem by only purchasing white meat chicken when I go to KFC...

I love all of the new animals and agree they look appropriate compared with the horses now. Now I wait another year or two for a sheep.
elondisc
Laborer

Post by elondisc »

Yea, I see what everyone is saying, something about them just make me feel like they are cheap or non-lego looking. It's probably just me fighting back against the new lego sets (which I don't know why I am doing, since I love all the new sets.).
Halberd777
Laborer

Post by Halberd777 »

elondisc wrote:Yea, I see what everyone is saying, something about them just make me feel like they are cheap or non-lego looking. It's probably just me fighting back against the new lego sets (which I don't know why I am doing, since I love all the new sets.).
It's true the chickens do look a little out of place, however they look more like a chicken then the lego horses look like horses honestly. Think about it the horses are not quite 3 dimensional looking. They are a horse that is a block. Compare the cow to the even the cow is more rounded than the horse and not as blocklike. I am not sure if they would pull off a good chicken if they made it like the traditional lego horse. True I am still trying to get use to the chickens however lego is at least trying to make farm animals that look like the are farm animals, unlike the ones in MMV.
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

Ye Olde Republic wrote:Papy is right. I just goes to show how often people acutally read the topics here. ;) Since these Gizmodo pics are probably the images we'll find on the s@h website soon and really don't show anything we haven't seen before, this topic is getting merged with the NYToyfair thread.
I feared to look too much outraged, I was just a little annoyed to have to follow three or more topics about the same subject, and not beeing able to remember what I've read on which one, and same goes for what I have written.

Did somebody mentionned the 6000-ish ref. number for the Blacksmith?
What do you think it is meant to mean?
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
LordZode
Apprentice

Post by LordZode »

Well instead of being concerned about chickens looking out of place, I'm just going to be happy we're GETTING chickens and civilian castle sets!
P.S. If you need help making MOCs, making posts, or don't know what to do next, please, let me know! I'm here to help! ;)
H3LLB0Y3
Freeman

Post by H3LLB0Y3 »

Halberd777 wrote:however lego is at least trying to make farm animals that look like the are farm animals, unlike the ones in MMV.
Hear hear!
Also- Because of your avatar in my head i always hear your post being read by Cary Elwes :lol: its quite enjoyable
You wonder why I'm not afraid?
There is no weapon
There is no blade
You'll never kill Him that lives inside of me.
Halberd777
Laborer

Post by Halberd777 »

H3LLB0Y3 wrote:
Halberd777 wrote:however lego is at least trying to make farm animals that look like the are farm animals, unlike the ones in MMV.
Hear hear!
Also- Because of your avatar in my head i always hear your post being read by Cary Elwes :lol: its quite enjoyable
You know I never thought of that. True him talking about chickens would be funny!
H3LLB0Y3
Freeman

Post by H3LLB0Y3 »

Halberd777 wrote:True him talking about chickens would be funny!
Indeed it would. Its very off-topic but you should check out his guest appearance on Psych. The man has gain weight but hasnt lost his flair :)
There is no weapon
There is no blade
Halberd777
Laborer

Post by Halberd777 »

H3LLB0Y3 wrote:
Halberd777 wrote:True him talking about chickens would be funny!
Indeed it would. Its very off-topic but you should check out his guest appearance on Psych. The man has gain weight but hasnt lost his flair :)
I think I will do that then, and wow these sets are really great I will own at least one of each (see how I brought it back to the topic).
H3LLB0Y3
Freeman

Post by H3LLB0Y3 »

Halberd777 wrote:I think I will do that then, and wow these sets are really great I will own at least one of each (see how I brought it back to the topic).
Smooth bro ;)
Ive already started a list of which sets and at what quantity i plan to purchase. Anybody heard any word on final pricing yet?
There is no weapon
There is no blade
Kosh
Foot Soldier

Post by Kosh »

I suspect the prices that are in the first post currently *ARE* the MSRP, however some retailers will vary their pricing from MSRP via whichever whims and formulas they use to set their prices.
Build? I merely Acquire atm.
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

I thought I would copy this post from the other thread as it seems pertinent.

Here is a breakdown of the cost per piece for this years sets in USD.

6918 Blacksmiths Attack $9.99
104 pieces
9.6 cents per piece

7187 Escape from Dragon Prison $19.99
185 pieces
10.8 cents per piece

7188 King's Carriage Ambush $39.99
286 pieces
14 cents per piece

7189 Village Mill Raid $69.99
663 pieces
10.6 cents per piece

In reality only the King's carriage ambush seems to be lacking in the value department. Considering the carriage set seems to have gotten the least warm reception, I predict it will not be a great seller. (Just call me Nostradamus) It is too bad... I really like the design of the carriage and the King. But how many King figs can a guy use?

The rest of the sets seem to be quite a good value. I will be buying many multiples of all of the sets but likely only a pair of the carriage sets.
H3LLB0Y3
Freeman

Post by H3LLB0Y3 »

^Thanx so much Dale!
Hmm. Pricing seems to be pretty fair IMO. Personally I'll probably buy a carriage or 2 for those horses and a few tree pieces, the unprinted new bottle piece, etc...of course that would bring my current pile of monarch figs to...hmm...I'd say about 50! :?
There is no weapon
There is no blade
OverLoad
Steward

Post by OverLoad »

H3LLB0Y3 wrote:of course that would bring my current pile of monarch figs to...hmm...I'd say about 50! :?
Better than my sad pile of 2 official monarch figs. The rest are my own creations.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128569443@N02/]-New Flickr-[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrGray]-Brickshelf-[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=24758]-Tales of the Nortlen-[/url]