Mixing factions

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
krzyzak
Foot Soldier

Mixing factions

Post by krzyzak »

Is mixing old castle with new castle good or is keeping them separate better?
You've got to ask yourself one question,"Do I feel lucky?" Well do ya, punk?
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen1.bmp[/img]
Handar
Archer

Re: Mixing factions

Post by Handar »

It all depends on what you want to do. There is no right or wrong when it comes to how you choose to use your Lego.
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

Well, force-feeding the bricks to your younger sibling is wrong. But apart from that, you're golden.
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

Lego has no right or wrong, but I mix old and new factions in my MOCs and I love them together. They all are lego, and they all have simaler weapons and armor, and honestly I'd say that the crownies look no stranger next to the black falcons than they do next to the new Dragon guys.
Back to the front!
Thoriun
Laborer

Post by Thoriun »

Hi

As far as lego castle figures goes, i tend to mix them in a few parts or colours

Reds - Cruzaders, Royal Knights, Kingdoms(Lions).

Greens - Kingdoms (Dragons), Florestmen, Wolfpack, Dark Florest, Fright Knights, Orcs, Elfs.

Blues - Black Falcons, Black Knights, Dragon Masters, Crown Knights, Dwarves.

Brown - Civilians, wizards, others.

Black - Samurai, Ninja, Prince of Persia, pirates (the sailors only, not the soldiers) this ones are neutral or a merchant group.

Greys - The vikings (this ones work as mercenaries for the highest bidder).

Thoriun

p.s as far as mumbers goes, sometimes i mix the Red/Grey vs Blue/Green, bigger armys, more fun
Thoriun... No words are enough to express how i feel

Silvery, often with black tarnish

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Thoriun
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I keep my post-KK2 figures separate from my pre-KK2 figures. I don't think the styles match. I'm working on a story to explain the difference. As for the KK2, I keep them in a ziplock baggie and rarely do anything with them. Makes me wish I'd saved my money and not bought those sets.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Hoboman
Apprentice

Post by Hoboman »

Because my son and I are just coming to the Castle we have not had the ability to be picky in what we find/buy. So for now we mix freely. :)

As time goes buy I imagine we will shift towards having some faction specific castles and forces.
"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
svede
Villein

Post by svede »

I think that there were less perfectly matching armies in the real Medieval times, so I like a bit more variation and mixing.

That being said, you gotta have teams. The various sub-factions with each faction I view sort of as the houses/clans within the kingdoms. :)

I am actually working on a book in my spare time and thus try to model them after the peoples in the book - although I do not wish to restrict my book to LEGO factions, so it is not a perfect matching.

Anyway, these are the basic groups that I do:

Black Knights, Dragonmasters, Kingdoms Dragon Knights

Crusaders, Royal Knights, Kingdoms Lion Knights

Crownies

Falcons

Wolfpack, Forestmen, Bull Knights

Saracens (Arabs/Persians/Turks/etc)

I also use some of the fright knights, KK2 soldiers, Samurai/Ninjas, and misc pirates, etc for additional variation.
I really don't like using orcs/trolls/skeletons/etc so those end up being sold. :)
annie2200
Freeman

Post by annie2200 »

svede wrote: Wolfpack, Forestmen, Bull Knights
Saracens (Arabs/Persians/Turks/etc)
I use these mix-ups too!
I also like:
Trolls, Skellies, Vampires
Crownies, KK1
Lego is my first love, it will always be my last
H3LLB0Y3
Freeman

Post by H3LLB0Y3 »

Personally my factions make their allegiances based on their size ;)
Technically they are divided between Blue and Red groups with the groups that strike me as the mercenary type mixed in for balance.
You wonder why I'm not afraid?
There is no weapon
There is no blade
You'll never kill Him that lives inside of me.
Halberd777
Laborer

Post by Halberd777 »

Athos wrote:I keep my post-KK2 figures separate from my pre-KK2 figures. I don't think the styles match. I'm working on a story to explain the difference. As for the KK2, I keep them in a ziplock baggie and rarely do anything with them. Makes me wish I'd saved my money and not bought those sets.

Steve
yes I don't like most of the KK2 figures either. They are too colorful and almost He-manish fantasy looking. Vladek and his guys I think turned out pretty good for bad guys.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Athos wrote:I keep my post-KK2 figures separate from my pre-KK2 figures. I don't think the styles match. I'm working on a story to explain the difference. As for the KK2, I keep them in a ziplock baggie and rarely do anything with them. Makes me wish I'd saved my money and not bought those sets.

Steve
For me, this makes the most sense. The styles are, in my opinion, glaringly different. It also gives me the opportunity to separate them geographically, as in new planet or continent or something. The stores that describe the post KK2 factions are better as a result. For KK2 figures, I try to integrate them into the post-KK2 factions (Crowns, Lions, etc) area.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Merlin of Lego
Apprentice

Post by Merlin of Lego »

I Mix them. However in my mind the newer styles are the same factions that change over time and are some head of faction updating a family crest. There is a tradition that some military units that served a king with distinction will be granted the right to retain a given crest to set them appart from the standard army. My Black Falcons are a very ellite part of the Lion kingdom.
OverLoad
Steward

Post by OverLoad »

Considering I don't have many different factions (Dragon Kingdom, Lion Kingdom, Crownies, Orcs, Skellies, KK2 Jellybeans, KK2 Shadow Knights, Vikings) I don't "mix" in the sense that the factions are part of one another, but I do "mix" in the sense that I plan on using different factions to oppose each other. When I say I plan to, I mean I will in the future, the only two factions I use are the Dragon Kingdom soldiers and the Lion Kingdom soldiers. :)
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128569443@N02/]-New Flickr-[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrGray]-Brickshelf-[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=24758]-Tales of the Nortlen-[/url]
H3LLB0Y3
Freeman

Post by H3LLB0Y3 »

Halberd777 wrote:yes I don't like most of the KK2 figures either. They are too colorful and almost He-manish fantasy looking. Vladek and his guys I think turned out pretty good for bad guys.
Parts! KK2 minifigs arent entirely useless ;)
This set, for example, is a great army builder:
http://brickset.com/detail/?set=8813-1
But I also have some KK2 buyers regret after buying 20 of each of these:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=5998-1
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=5999-1
The latter being the MOST worthless...personally the only thing ive found useful was the shields :mad:
Merlin of Lego wrote:I Mix them. However in my mind the newer styles are the same factions that change over time and are some head of faction updating a family crest. There is a tradition that some military units that served a king with distinction will be granted the right to retain a given crest to set them appart from the standard army. My Black Falcons are a very ellite part of the Lion kingdom.
THIS is a fantastic idea! :D
You wonder why I'm not afraid?
There is no weapon
There is no blade
You'll never kill Him that lives inside of me.