Which Golden Age Castle Is the Best?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

Which of these castle is the best for display and minifigures?

6080 King's Castle
35%
6085 Black Monarch's Castle
32%
6074 Black Falcon's Fortress
32%

Total votes: 31

SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Which Golden Age Castle Is the Best?

Post by SPACE MARINE »

I've always wanted to pick up one of the following three castles from the golden age, and with my birthday' round the corner I'll have the cash for one soon. Of these castles, which is the best of the three, figs-wise and display-wise?
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good- Rom. 12:21

Little Bricks, BIG dreams
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Re: Which Golden Age Castle Is the Best?

Post by davee123 »

SPACE MARINE wrote:which is the best of the three, figs-wise and display-wise?
Fig-wise, obviously King's Castle and Black Monarch's Castle have double the figs, so that's a big plus for each of them.

Display-wise, I'd go for either King's Castle or Black Falcon's Fortress, only because I never liked the all-black look of Black Monarch's Castle. Being all black, a lot of the details sorta seem to get lost-- plus it's not quite as iconic of a castle (IMHO).

Also display-wise, King's Castle and Black Monarch's Castle are really nice when displayed in their "opened-up" form. Black Falcon's fortress doesn't really have the same appeal when opened, unless it's paired with other sets, since it's kind of small, and doesn't give you the same broad width that you get from the other two.

So, I guess for my money, I'd vote for King's Castle, assuming that they're all the same price and all.

[edit]
Huh, I was surprised to see King's Castle last in the poll (granted, only 9 votes), so I was curious as to how it's fared in other contests between those 3 sets:

1) "Best Owned Set" thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18892

6 King's Castle
6 Black Monarch's Castle
4 Black Falcon's Fortress

- OR -

18 King's Castle
13 Black Monarch's Castle
9 Black Falcon's Fortress

2) Another recent "Best Castle" thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20551

1.5 King's Castle
1.0 Black Monarch's Castle
0.5 Black Falcon's Fortress

3) "Best Castle Set Of All Time" thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19124

20 - King's Castle
9 - Black Falcon's Fortress
? - Black Monarch's Castle (less than 9, never made the finals)

4) LUGNET set ratings:
94.60 - Black Falcon's Fortress
90.37 - King's Castle
89.82 - Black Monarch's Castle

5) BrickSet review ratings:
4.9 - Black Monarch's Castle
4.7 - King's Castle
4.6 - Black Falcon's Fortress

6) BrickLink last 6 month sale prices:
$113.96 - King's Castle
$110.23 - Black Monarch's Castle
$81.00 - Black Falcon's Fortress
[/edit]

DaveE
Redav
Artisan

Post by Redav »

I don't have a copy of the Black Monarch's Castle (yet) so I can't comment from having one. As for the other two, I have only owned them in the last 12 months. As a kid I always wanted the Kings Castle and I was pretty happy to have acquired one earlier this year. It's big and impressive however Black Falcons Fortress gets my vote because I always felt it looked more elegant.
Team Jesus

[url=http://www.brickset.com/search/?ownedBy=redav]My Brickset List[/url]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/redavthe1st/]My Flickr Photostream[/url]
krzyzak
Foot Soldier

Post by krzyzak »

Well I don't have Black Monarchs Castle :cry: , but by the looks of it, it looks awesome.
You've got to ask yourself one question,"Do I feel lucky?" Well do ya, punk?
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen1.bmp[/img]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I remember getting the King's Castle when it came out in the mid-eighties, ending a dark age. The other voting options are very cool as well, but the King's Castle (and supporting faction) will always be held as the pinnicle of the Golden Age for me.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Vrio
Villein

Post by Vrio »

I believe that Black Monarchs castle comes 1st in Minifigs since it has as many as Kings Caste but it also has bardings for horses. However black color is really unrealistic for a castle.
All in all, although i voted Black Monarchs, i believe the most beautifull among them in the 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress, but is small and has the less minifigs comparing to the other too.
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

I voted for the Black Monarch's because it's the one I have the less to complain about, mainly the black walls.
Brown horses, bardings, visored helm, platebuilt portcullis, plate based door (snot), round towers... What not to love about it?
Build it on plates and in gray, a little touch of tudor, some euro armors, you have the best lego castle ever!
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

I personally like the King's Castle best. I just think it's the most classic, plus you get 12 mini-figs! However, I have always liked the Crusaders best so maybe that's why I like it so much.
Gomur
Apprentice

Post by Gomur »

I'm sure this question has been answered a zillion times, but they all have their advantages. I had (and still have, and my son still plays with) a BFF and a BMC, and I personally always thought the BFF had a little bit more practical/fortress appeal and looked cooler, but as others have said, it's surprisingly small compared to many of the modern sets. Even BMC is only about 3/4 as large as the modern Crownie/Lion Knight castles. Great pieces in both, though.
SevFalcon
Laborer

Post by SevFalcon »

That's a tough call to make, guess that's why it's no surprise the votes are all even up at 9 apiece....

I have a certain affinity to BFF - it's got a timeless look and just looks beautiful all around. But you really can't go wrong with any one of the three....