Mixing factions

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Re: Mixing factions

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

CVfan13 wrote: Here's a question for you all, though, do you consider everything post-2000 as being in the same canon as everything before it? For me, I only ever consider the classic Lions up to the Fright Knights, and everything after that are in their own little stories. I never would consider how the new Lions relate to the Royal Knights, for example, because they're just an updated version of the new theme, and their official sets would never look good next each other, nor their minifigs.
The way it makes the most sense for me is to split the factions into different "generations." The first generation is the famed "Yellow" Castle that came out in the late seventies to early eighties. The second generation is from the Black Falcons all the way up to the KK1 Lions and Bulls. Third generation is basically Crowns, Skeletons, and KK2 to present. Its easier to separate the factions like this so I don't have to explain the vast differences between them. The Lion Knights of Kingdoms are not the same as the Royal Knights or KK1 Lions. For the third generation I started the factions out on a new continent, different from the second generation. This allowed more leeway in backstory creation, which helped me "bond" with the Crown Knights and the new colors (for figures anyway). I just hope that it will be another twenty or more years before another "revamp."
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

See, that's almost exactly as I view it, with the generation thing! The only difference for me is that KK1 is separate on its own plane of existence and KK2 doesn't exist, or at least get acknowledged by me. :tasty:
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

I can't really be too picky, as all my castle stuff is post-Fright Knights, but I don't mind mixing factions, everyone needs some love. (except KK 2, the happy versions of the Space marine primarchs from 40k who got sent back in time :P ) For me, it's really simply. Either everyone is a Norman or Teutonic, or you have the fantasy version where the red, blue, and green guys fight each other and team up when the super-natural nasties come along to ruin the fun on the playground. I only have 1 KK 2 euro armor, and that became armor for a garish Lion noble who really, really likes red. So yeah, pretty much anything goes for faction mixing with me.
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good- Rom. 12:21

Little Bricks, BIG dreams
Redbullgivesuwind
Gong Farmer

Post by Redbullgivesuwind »

The way I Do it is they mix but its all humans against trolls and fantasy figures. The new kingdom knights are part of the force being led by the king and hence have better newer looking armour as the King doesnt like (and for what it costs the knights wouldnt want to let it) dirty armour. then each of the other groups except wolf pack, fright knights and the forrestmen are the retinue brought by an earl and arent a regular standing force and therefore there armour isnt as great and thus explains away the diffrences
Gatekeeper
Villein

Post by Gatekeeper »

I tend to break them up by noble houses.

Their crests are the house they belong too. So, regardless of the printing I feel that have a place. Granted this is probably because I have very small armies and can't really afford to have all of the new soldiers. That and I really like the wolfpack and the black falcons. :)
“Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.”

George Bernard Shaw