Idea Book 250: Week III Reviews

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Idea Book 250: Week III Reviews

Post by architect »

Check out the medieval fair! See the Sedan Chair, Princess' Coach, Keg Stand, the Golden Barrel, the Barbeque, Knight's Training, and Knight's Tent.

Article:

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/arti ... k250c.html

Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Wow, I like them all a lot. My favourite is the last one, since I really like the black and red on the tent. The little chicken on the fire is a neat design too. Very cool models.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

This just got me thinking how TLC would implement the sedan chair today:

http://www.carlnelson.com/images/lego/newchair.jpg

Image changed to link by admin, please see image posting policy in the administrative forum. Thanks

Blech.

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Linus
Freeman

Post by Linus »

These are great! My personal favorite is the Barbeque.
Keep up the good work! :D
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I love all of these!

These are better than the others.

I love the bar. (If I may be so modern as to call it that.) And the tent.

And the rest of it.

These would make better sets than the real ones we have today. Maybe spruce them up with civilian figs and a few additional pieces. Maybe change the faction symbols to KK2 (SIGH!!!), but you've got some good sets here.

Pity TLC doesn't look at it that way.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Ben and Yaron,

You guys are doing such a great job on this. Its nice to see the models separate and with a bit of a description, the little ones can be overlooked when taking the pages as a whole.

What I love about this week is that it is absolutly essential stuff. One of my qualms about the "Golden Age" was that there was rarely a barrel or piece of food. These look nice alongside the often hollow castles of the age.

Sadly, TLC has since lost all sight of this realism.

DM

PS Yaron and Ben should make all the idea books (except the last one).
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

cnelson wrote:This just got me thinking how TLC would implement the sedan chair today:

edited out image for space

Blech.

Carl
What really scares me is how right you are. The comparison is 'night and day'. I'm loving these 'new' old models. Three cheers for unbridled imagination.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

I want instructions for the barbeque and the pub...
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Redwine: "Let's go the Golden Barrel first!"

Two-Tonic: "Keg Stand!"

Redwine: "Golden...wait, BABES!"

Two-Tonic: "I like the one in carriage."

Redwine: "You're not sober! The one in the sedan chair!"

We leave our rascals to their arguments and delights, and pause only to compliment the creators of the source of their pleasure...
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

These are awesome. I would like to see tlc try to do one of these with kk2... they would very much regret using all of the baby blocks.
pwnage
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

While all of these models were nice to look at, I was never able to build them well enough to make myself happy. These were well before the Internet was on the horizon and waaay before Bricklink. I love the inventiveness, but the use of all those rare slopes and non-castle pieces did take away from the enjoyment I had as kid . I had the idea book and only castle sets to make these alternate models with. So I love the designs, but I have to give it an 8/10 because I had the book and not being able to make these fine models was disappointing.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

I love both the beer stands. Live, from Black Falcon's Fortress... Oktobrickfest!
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
tanzirian
Villein

Post by tanzirian »

The chair and tent are beautiful little creations. Some of the early castle system would benefit from colorful additions like these. For instance, if I was dictator of TLC and rereleasing 6080, I would put that tent on the outside (and add red/yellow and blue/yellow horse barding!).
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Let me start by saying thanks for all your comments. Ben and I are glad that you liked the article so much. We never expected such a great response...

I have to agree with you guys that the models this week are probably the best ones.

Cnelson Wrote:
This just got me thinking how TLC would implement the sedan chair today:

http://www.carlnelson.com/images/lego/newchair.jpg
To our horror you are probably correct. So I wouldn't give TLC idea's like that :lol:

Dragon Master Wrote:
Ben and Yaron,

You guys are doing such a great job on this. Its nice to see the models separate and with a bit of a description, the little ones can be overlooked when taking the pages as a whole.
Thanks
PS Yaron and Ben should make all the idea books (except the last one).
I don't see us doing the other books in the next short period, however we might make a few selectable models out of them

Sir Vincent Wrote:
I want instructions for the barbeque and the pub...
The Barbeque model is really easy to make, don't give up :lol:

Wlister Wrote:
While all of these models were nice to look at, I was never able to build them well enough to make myself happy. These were well before the Internet was on the horizon and waaay before Bricklink. I love the inventiveness, but the use of all those rare slopes and non-castle pieces did take away from the enjoyment I had as kid .
I know eactly what you mean. Nonetheless even though I workede really hard to get those parts, those models just worth it.

Thanks again everybody for the great comments

I hope this article will give you inspration to build. Nowdays thanks to BL and Ebay we can get our hands on weird unavailable bricks...

Enjoy
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

These posts got me thinking (therefore I'm probably off topic)...

This probably sounds strange coming from someone who's working on a modular castle where the average module is 1,000+ pieces, but true skill is building something on a small scale that is elegant, clever, and makes good use of bricks. These Idea Book models show why the designers work for Lego and not I. ;-)

Take, for example, the cat in the brick built beasts article--5 pieces, yet eloquently evokes the spirit of what it represents.

That is why Yaron and Ben deserve heartfelt thanks for making these Idea Book creations.

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market