What to do with the mercenaries?

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Aviah102
Laborer

What to do with the mercenaries?

Post by Aviah102 »

I have a question for anyone who is willing to offer some advice. When using mercenary groups in one of your armies, but you have no room in your army's castle, where do you put your mercenary groups? Do they really need some place (as small as it may be) to call their own? What do most of you do with your small groups of mercenary soldiers?
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Build them some tents like the ones Jojo designed, they can camp outside the fort before the battle.

This should be in MOCS by the way!
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

Build a Mercenary Post outside the castle walls...
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Thet're mercenaries: their very nature calls for mobility. Tents, or at the most, wooden palisades (or something like that) would be my recommendation.

[True, they might want a base to call home between jobs, but what do they do when they get one? I mean, who guards the homestead? Other mercenaries?]
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I had always envisioned mercenaries living in wagons and tents with their women folk. These wagons would follow at a distance as they raided or warred and once they days festivities were done, the mercs would return to their wagons and tents. Wagons have a few advantages, they are very mobile, you can abandon them quickly and there are many traveling people from which you can steal the wagons. :D

Most hired mercenaries if it was a large army lived under their cloaks like any other soldier. Tents were for the nobility in times of large scale warfare.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Re: What to do with the mercenaries?

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Aviah102 wrote:...where do you put your mercenary groups?
The forefront of battle. Always. You don't have to pay dead mercenaries.

Oh...I'm editing your question for cheap laughs? Busted. :D

Okay, hopefully I'd have them looting the opposition's turf and let them sleep in what house they don't feel like burning down. :shock:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I might have to try a mecenary camp creation. Sounds like an interesting project. Though right now the BrickTower is taking up all my space, and then some...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Yes, I was thinking of tents and pavilions also. I imagined them as living in forests, but since they are defending a castle, it wouldn't be too covinient.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Sir Terrance wrote:Yes, I was thinking of tents and pavilions also. I imagined them as living in forests, but since they are defending a castle, it wouldn't be too covinient.
That is wrong Sir Terrance, it cowld be well for a ambush wen is time.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Aviah,

Welcome to Classic-Castle :)

I want to let you know that the LEGO Castle forum is for official LEGO Castle sets discussions. Questions about armies would belong in MOC or perhaps stories. So I will move this topic there. Thanks!

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Aviah102
Laborer

Post by Aviah102 »

Will, you made an interesting statement when you replied to my topic. Is it a true or believed historic fact that mercenaries "lived under their cloaks?" If so this would help out a lot because i spent most of my lego resources on building a castle and have no real barracks or area for troops or mercenaries. As creative and cool as Jojo's tents are, i unfortunately do not have the lego's to build such elaborate dwellings for my soldiers, thanks for the inspiring tip, lol,

Brian
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

It is a true/historic fact that many armies during Medieval times were poorly equipped especially conscripts and mercenaries. Sleeping under your cloak was quite common. Only nobles could affor the fancy tents Jojo built.

The only real time mercenaries would have spent in tents during a times of war would have been with female camp followers and the like. :wink:

Regular professional soldiers like the Royal British and French armies would likely have had tents for all their mounted soldiers and men of rank.

Probably the only mercenaries with tents would have been their battle leaders or whatever tents their women folk made for them. Keep in mind tents sodden with rain would have been hard for infantry to carry with them. Armor, weapons and food would likely have been the priority, that and something to hunt and make fire with.

If your castle is under seige, you can start with men under their own cloaks and then progress to more and more tents as time progresses. Many seiges lasted weeks or months while the seige forces waited to starve out the defenders. TTK or others may give you better info about that.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

The middle of the castle, between the walls
If it gets really bad they can't just run off, they will be trapped in the middle of the castle and will have to fight :)
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"