Weekly Set Review: Royal Joust

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Royal Joust

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6095 Royal Joust.

Royal Joust was released in 2000 for the Knight’s Kingdom. One of the King’s knights jousts against a Bull’s knight. A rotating axe and shield device is in the middle of the joust. The rest of the set is a pavilion with a stained glass window, King Leo, and accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

I rather like this set, really, it has a lot of very good pieces. However, it is just too overpriced to be useful for much
pwnage
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

A downgrade from joust sets before it, an upgrade from the one after it. The swinging ax was a good idea, if you don't care about accuraccy that is.

But all in all a great set if you want the stained glass window and barding, without getting the castle.

7/10
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

While nothing compared with the more classic castle sets, and certainly not the best joust TLC has made, I like this set. It has a certain nostalgic quality for me. It was the first KK1 set I remember seeing, and the first one I bought following their release.

I was very pleased with the rerelease of Castle, having in my innocence, assumed it to be dead. And I was well pleased with the set itself. It came, after all, with two knights, a king, a stained glass window, and abundance of weapons, extra shields, a BARDING!, and several lion heads.

One has to remember that the only Castle theme I had really ever had experience buying was Fright Knights. The older themes had mostly been gifts and big saving-up ventures. So I was even more pleased. (I still think KK1 beats FKs any day.)

And if one jumps ahead to today, and compares it with its more or less direct descendent in KK2, it only looks better. Perhaps it can't compare to Legoland jousts, but it was a well-priced, well-equipped set, and I wish to high heaven that I had bought more. The only thing that really disappointed me was that the good knight came with a visored helmet, but no armour. Still, he had a great torso! I was also a little miffed that neither knight had a sword of their own, but that was easily remedied by my Fright Knight accessories.

To review:

Parts: 8/10 (needs more bricks)
Minifigs/Accesories: 9/10
Design (then): 7/10
Design (now): 8.5/10

Overall score: 8.125/10
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

I have been waiting to talk about this set. :D

I remember this being my first Lego set after my dark age. I remember walking into the shop, looking at the set, and thinking to myself 16 pounds for 2 figs and 2 horses, holy #$%@!! But I ended up buying it anyway. I liked the look of King Leo and his horse barding quite a lot initially (probably because I've never seen bardings before going into my dark age), but the novelty soon wore off. Still, if for no other reasons I'll still cherish it for bringing me out of my dark age in the first place. :wink: And the tan lion heads and stain glass panel I still regard as good and useful pieces to this day.

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I regard this set as one of my wiser Lego purchases. It was nice to get two horses in one set (a rarity then and more so now) and a barding. I loved having the extra shields and I think that the lion heads and stained glass pieces are so cool. I also loved King Leo's head.
It's really no use complaining about the set design. We haven't seen good Castle designs in quite some time, and I almost always use sets purely for pieces anyway. However, I am wondering what knight in his right mind would participate in this joust. It seems to me that unless you're going really fast, those axes will slice both you and your enemy in two at the same time. King Leo must be a sick, twisted individual if that's his idea of entertainment.

Parts: 8/10 (I don't like the raised bases much, and I hate having so many of those roof pieces)
Minifigs/Accessories: 8/10 (Needs more weapons and armor; the Bull's horse needs a barding to balance out the chanfron)
Design (Then): 6/10
Design (Now): 6.5/10
Overall: 7.125 (8/10 if you choose to disregard set design)
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

I always kinda liked this, the minifigs and horses were good as were the decorative pieces (something that I've never minded as "juniorized"). I'd imagine that it was playabe, were I 20-25 years younger. The pavilion looks festive, with the twin flag spires giving a pleasing profile.

These sets were great buys on half-price clearance, as I found a large stack of them! ;-)

Above average for the KK series: 6.5/10

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I don't like this set. When the first KK series came out, I was not interested in LEGO, so I don't own anything from the series.

Looks like all the pieces are prefabricated. The only good thing is the black visor. Too bad he didn't come with Euro armor!

I WANT NON-PURPLE EURO ARMOR!!
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

At first this set looks very promising, got very nice parts in it, 3 minifigs, 2 horses, barding etc. and this set could have been great. It's probably still the best set from the KK I sets and it's of course mcuh better then the current joust set. Still I can't ignore the fact that all the pieces are bulks and altrenative nice model from this set is impossible to achive.

This joust idea for this set is based upon the idea from ideabook 250 (see part III of the article).

Overall this set is not bad but could have been much better 7.5/10.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Knight's on horses?!? What a novel idea :twisted: Yes, that was the cynicism towards KK2 and the wheeled horsish thingies.... I got this one for my son, not interesting to me at the time. Neat in a childish way. My kids have been building MOCs for a couple of years now, so this did not stay in it's original form. Fun for the kids and some decent parts 7/10
Troy T. Moore
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Hmm...probably one of the best of the KK line. While it's not as nice as some of the other joust sets that preceded it, it's really a fairly decent set. And in light of the most recent joust set, it's amazing.
Overall, I give it a 5/10.

Cm2
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

Juniorized. Very poor even for KK.

2/10
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I like it very much. The actual design was a bit crappy, but it has great pieces. You get a barding, stain glass window, horses, lots of weapons, a couple of good figs. All around a good set. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This is not that bad a set while miles away from the classics 383 and 6060. Too few parts and figures at a way too big original price. (OK, prices shouldn't be a category in a set review but still... )
I wonder why Cedric the Bull, being not a nobleman but a robberer, is allowed to participate in a royal joust?

The front cover of this set's box and instructions shows two brown chests. Only one is included, though :-)

Bye
Jojo

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Jojo wrote:I wonder why Cedric the Bull, being not a nobleman but a robberer, is allowed to participate in a royal joust?
Cedric's not a nobleman? I always thought of him a vassal/baron under King Leo. To each his own, I suppose...