CC Set Review: 6095 Royal Joust

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

CC Set Review: 6095 Royal Joust

Post by architect »

Join the Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6095 Royal Joust.

Royal Joust was released in 2000 for the Knight’s Kingdom. One of the King’s knights jousts against a Bull’s knight. A rotating axe and shield device is in the middle of the joust. The rest of the set is a pavilion with a stained glass window, King Leo, and accessories.

Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Re: CC Set Review: 6095 Royal Joust

Post by Athos »

The new millennium began Lego's precipitous slide into mediocrity. These sets were the penultimate line before the nadir of KK2. And it shows.

The design is, charitably, uninspired. The piece selection juniorized. And the construction is a mismatch of uncomplimentary colors. Even the brick baseplates, which I didn't like at first, but have grown to love for landscaping, makes the sets seem cheap and juvenile.

Nice to get the barding. When I bought it, I was also interested in the stained glass window... though, in 12 years, I've never MOC'd with it. It was also nice that it included three lion shields.

Both knights need armor though.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I didn't like this set at the time, but compared to what came immediately after it...it was awesome.

I, too, was excited about the stained glass window...and never used it. I think I have 3 or 4 of them too.

I can pretty much second Steve's review.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

It wasn't really a "set", as there was little more than a loosely connected assortment of parts in the box. I think to me it seemed more like a parts accessory set for Castle theme builders. Parts is parts was a common thing said of this set and others like it, best purchased on sale or clearance.

I liked the lion sandstone piece, the columns, the helms, swords, shields, torsos, barding, the window and all the assorted bits, but building them to the instructions was just plain rude looking.

All the sets in this series it should be noted were made to interact with the raised baseplate design of the castle 6091, sort of to fill in it's wall gaps.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Not a great army builder.

Not a parts pack.

Not a good looking set

So in essence, this is not a set anyone would want multiples of. Two or three, maybe four, but after that you start getting way to many King Leo's, stainglass windows, and only a few pieces to offset it.

I never hanled a copy, so I shall rate this as a 7/10. Two horses with some pretty cool figs, plus three shields gave this set a respectable rating.
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
captainamerica
Peasant

Post by captainamerica »

The mashup of colors makes this a very ugly set and the rather uninspired overall design doesn't help. But it was a cheap way to get the full barding, and it included actual horses, unlike the gawdawful 8779 Grand Tournament.
'more Legos than sense'