Daily Set Review: Ghost Key Chain

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Daily Set Review: Ghost Key Chain

Post by architect »

Here is a daily set review because I was gone at BrickFest last weekend. Look for the WSR tomorrow.

-------

Join the second daily Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

Today’s set is KC668 Ghost Key Chain.

Ghost key chain, currently available for $2.99 in the US, is the only glow in the dark key chain. The ghost minifigure has not been in a castle set since 1995 and can only be acquired from LEGO through a Pitsco-Dacta accessory pack. So the ghost is a surprising but welcome addition to the castle key chains. I hope none of you are taking this review too seriously :)

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Playability: Poor. What good is a ghost by itself? It needs someone to scare.
Piece selection: Not so good. Once you undo the screw, all you get is a ghost-sheet with a hole in the top. May as well buy a real ghost.
Design: Not bad. Basically the same as other keychains. Etc.: An excellent keychain. Is a Lego icon, and unlike Wolfpack or such keychains is unlikely ever to be taken apart, should I acquire one.
architect wrote:Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!
I think that most keychains would crumble in shame if it wasn't for that metal rod down their middles.
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

A glowing keychain may help to find the keys into a bag, or to find the keyhole in the dark... The Harry Potter keychain can't!

Playability: better than a Maglite keychain or a led keychain!

But poor ghost! A ghost must have a chain around his ankle (with a ball), not on his head (with your keys)!!! But your keys may be a very good weapon!

:lol:
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Re: Daily Set Review: Ghost Key Chain

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

architect wrote:I hope none of you are taking this review too seriously :)
Ummmmmmmmm.... 8)

Where did I leave my keys? Just turn out the lights, and there is your smiling little ghost showing their location. Unfortunately, this requires it to be night, but at least you can find them half the time.

On the other hand, the glow function only works after the ghost has been exposed to light, the more intense, the better. And the place you are most likely to keep your ghost keychain? In your dark pocket. If you do happen to have it charged up and take it out for a spin in your car at night, there it is gyrating wildly and distracting you from the business at hand.

So, the glow function is a hit or miss affair. However, there is one reason why I'd recommend the Ghost as an extremely suitable keychain over most other figures:

If you actually use you keychain as such, it means it is being assaulted by loose chain, the acttual keys, odd ticket stub, piece of candy that was come unwrapped in your pocket, etc. Keychain figs take a terrible amount of abuse, and suffer for it. Hands crack and fall out, individual legs fall off, and any printing gets worn away. With the Ghost, there is no printing and the legs are protected, and thus is very survivable - my current Stormtrooper is white as a....well, ghost!

And, of course, you can always practice minifig neurosurgery and extract the keychain post and have a ghost that shows its cause of creation!
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

A very nice, set one of the best. If I were to get a lego key chain it would probably not be this one, but never mind that bit of trival detail. I think the whole idea of a keychain is cool, and it would take one like this to stay together. A better one would be taken apart right away. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

If you can get another ghost sheet for it then it's a pretty good set...
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I figured out that if you get a glowing ghost, stick him in a pitch black room, and stare at him. He'll disappear. Look away, and you can see him again. Try it.

So, the ghost is kool. :D

Cm2
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:there it is gyrating wildly and distracting you from the business at hand.
That is quite possibly one of the greatest phrases I have ever heard.

Playability: Well, it's more fun than most other keychains. It's also much spookier. Heck, I'm getting scared just looking at the picture!
Piece Selection: I have nothing productive to add here and nothing clever to say.
Design: As far as plastic ghosts with chains screwed into their ethereal craniums go, this one is a cut above the rest.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

At least you can do something with this guy, like scare certain siblings by hanging it above their bed at 2 AM, glowing. When that Mad scientist's lair set came out last year the prices of ghost sheets on Bricklink went down, but I'd still get a few of these.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

doctorsparkles wrote:
TwoTonic Knight wrote:there it is gyrating wildly and distracting you from the business at hand.
That is quite possibly one of the greatest phrases I have ever heard.
Calm down! This is a glowing ghost, not a hula doll. :wink:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

Does this keychain even count as a castle set?

Well, I guess I like the ghost keychain because it is much better than the NBA basketball player keychains.

-The Josh
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Does this keychain even count as a castle set?
Of course it does. The ghost is a castle element just as is King Leo, the Blacksmith's wife, or even the newer wolfpack key chain. If it has a number (this one is #668) then it is an official product. It would be like saying that the one to three minifigure packs which are being sold now at SAH arent sets. Adding a chain doesnt change it.

Plus you will notice that this review was meant in fun, there isnt much to review. Although several members have given valiant efforts :wink:

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

What really makes this set for me is the alternate models. No set can come close to this one, IMO.

Bruce
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

What really makes this set for me is the alternate models. No set can come close to this one, IMO.

Bruce
My favorite alternate is flipping the arms around backwards 8) But hey, does LEGO even do alternate models anymore?
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

architect wrote:

Bruce
My favorite alternate is flipping the arms around backwards 8) But hey, does LEGO even do alternate models anymore?
From my way of looking at it, the "official" designs of today's sets ARE the alternate models. They aren't good enough to be the real thing, surely...

:D

I don't have this keychain, but I wish I did. It looks like a great army-builder. :wink: