Your favorite faction, and why?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

About the glass window.

Glass existed in Middle Ages but nobody makes window with it. It was too expensive to make window, even for the most richs.

I'm agree that the Blacksmith shop(3719) is out of scale in comparison to castle line. I think it's more about 1700 than middle age.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

That was my poll - I didn't want the actual sets interfering with the poll, it was strictly about the minifigs themselves. My personal favorites are the Black Falcons, Wolf Pack, and Forestmen. My least favorites are usually predictable: anything with yellow/red/blue (or black) as their color scheme is a candidate for a sticker.

As to the poll results itself, I figured that the Forestmen and Black Falcons would be at the top. It was no surprise to find them there. However, I expected the Dragon Masters to be at the bottom. They are truly ugly. The Fright Knights have a number of rather useful, if generic, figures. But that's why I ran the poll - I was curious to see how others viewed the various factions.

I suppose it is all rather moot for me in some ways - I use the figs for gaming (Fantasy Rules! or it's specific medieval variant, Days of Knights) and I find myself using the more generic figures rather than specific liveried ones. I'm also up to about 40 different shield stickers, so I'm pretty much creating my own factions.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Re: Your favorite faction, and why?

Post by JoshWedin »

My favorite is the knight's procession (677) guys too. They were my first castle set, so they hold a special place in my lego heart. I think I have about twelve of them, but I'm adding to them fairly consistently. My second favorite is the Falcons. I also have to say that the fright knights do have some really good figs. Leave out the witch, of course. I avoided them until recently but "discovered" them at a Shell station. Not to bad, really.

Josh
Knight Of Weaselton
Gong Farmer

Post by Knight Of Weaselton »

Mine woulds have to be the Black Knights, and Black Falcons.Black Knights because they just had a lot of nice castles and castle walls. And a couple of sets with fully armored knights(Black Knight, Black Monarchs Ghost, Black Knights Castle). Black Falcons, because they also had good castles and wall sections. Think Knights Castle:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6073
It has as many figs as BFF, and all sorts of good parts.(And green flags)
Sorry if my reasons are kind of no-duh, but I had to have somthing.
"Hey stupid looking kid! How would you like to make your fortu- Nah, kid, I'm down here..."
-The Amazing Maurice (Terry Pratchett)
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

FORESTMEN ALL THE WAY!!

I also like Wolfpack and Dark Forest, but those tree-hugging Forestmen kicked the %#$@!* out of the Crusaders :lol: :twisted:

I loved to build tons of booby traps into my creations, almost all my Forestmen camps had pits or falling trees or axes that swung out of nowhere. Secret entrances were also a must!

Sighhhhhhhh.......those were the days.... :roll:
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

:lol:
Yep.

C
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"
CJXXX
Serf

--

Post by CJXXX »

I always preferred the Black Falcons, personally. I just recently (three days ago) separated all my old castle figs from their helmets and weapons so I could make more uniform armies. I was surprised to find that I had 1 more Black Falcon than Crusader!

That leads me to a question for you all. What is everyone's opinion of combining Crusaders and Falcons into one royal army? Is it better to leave them separate?

I would also say that the original Forestmen are really high on my list. thanks.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

That leads me to a question for you all. What is everyone's opinion of combining Crusaders and Falcons into one royal army? Is it better to leave them separate?
It depends on what scale you are approaching your army. If it's an individual lord's army, then they should be a single livery. If it's a national or coalition army of some kind, then that would be a collection of lords' troops and combining the factions makes more sense than a single faction.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

Black Falcons. They use good colors, and I have always liked them. They are the rogues and underdogs, but I have never thought of them as bad, but better than the tyrannical lion knights of that time. The forestmen come in at a close second.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

re.

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

I have always been partial to the Crusaders. They were what I had mostly when I was a kid. I also really like that they use primary colours...red, yellow and blue just look so great together. IMHO, you don't get any more "LEGOish" than that.:D
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

Actually, my tastes change. Right now I still like the Falcons, but the Black Knights (none shall pass) are rising in favor. Sometimes I like the Royal Knights. I like previous Knight's Kingdom for the Bulls and the Lions, who are corrupted, and I like the new K.K. because of the sweet colored Knights: good for leaders.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Rs_Conqueror
Peasant

Post by Rs_Conqueror »

they really don't count as a faction but my favorite is the crossed axes. They were my first castle minifigs, even before I had any castle sets I had those minifigs (and a few crusadors) I inherated them from my cousons when they "outgrew" lego. and I LOVED the design. then out comes the guarded inn legend set... Yeah, crossed axes are my fovorite 8)
~ RS
lack of parts = innovation
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Hi, I guess I'm the new guy here. I like a good discussion, and this is a good discussion! I think my some of my favorites are the Black Falcons, but I like the Forestmen too. I also like the look of the Royal Knights and the Crusaders. What I like best, however, is custom designs. After all, if you think about it, each knight had his individual coat-of-arms. I think that there was the regular army, though, and they would wear the insignia of the king or lord that they were fighting under. Could somebody help me out; were there cavalry other than knights? Thanks. By the way, DM, I like you defence of you favorite faction. I tend to think of the Dragon Masters as villains or mercianarys, but I think this somewhat because, in storys, the job of a knight was to slay the dragon. In the Dragon Masters line, you have guys that use the dragons for there own ends instead of killing them. So, they seem like bad-guys to a lot of people. However, that's not to say that the Dragon Masters could be using the dragons to defeat evil instead of good, making them underdogs (because most people are afraid of dragons and assume that those who partner with them are bad as well), but not villains.

Sorry about the long post,

Mr. D

P.S. How do you attach a picture
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Welcome to Classic-Castle Mr. D :D

You can add a photo as a signature in your profile section - add a link to the image which is hosted online somewhere.

I dont know about the cavalry question so I will let someone else answer that.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
CC Sets Admin
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Architect,
Sorry if there's any confusion; when I said "add picture" I meant ad one at the end of my mesage, a coat-of-arms sort of thing (like you and Dragon Master have, for instance).

Mr. D