Weekly Set Review: Fire Breathing Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Compared to any KK2 set, I'd rather have this one............... Its the lesser of the evils. At least Dragon Masters' sets are better than the Bulls sets
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I'm an avid fan of the DM faction, but not the sets. Especially this one. This is the worst castle, if it can even be called that. Also its just a rip off of DDD. We already had a place for dragons!

I'd give it a 4.5/10

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
tanzirian
Villein

Post by tanzirian »

For me DMs marks the beginning of the decline in quality of lego castle sets. And yes, I think this is a poorly designed set - looks like big pieces stuck together in a not too pleasing manner. Its not even the best of the DM sets - I like both the workshop and the tower better.

On the positive side, I think the introduction of the fantasy element adds more depth to the lego castle world (not counting forestmen as fantasy), and there are a respectable number of usable pieces. And although I generally dislike raised baseplates, the printed design on this one is perhaps the most attractive of the ramp and pit type (used well, for example, in the Brickmania windmill).

Overall, 6/10
Taki
Villein

Post by Taki »

Whaaaaaa!!!! 1993! Oh god I never thought that this set is so old. Well the fact is, that I'm getting old, but thats not the topic ;).

Ok I don't own it, but I had a friend, who owned it. I must say, that I don't like the whole dm-theme. And the fortress is not the best set of the series. Unrealistic, not medevil and so on. But the colors where ok and the builded dragon is not so ugly -> 7/10.
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

I have always liked this set.( never owned it) I like the dragon . I cant seem to be able to find any for sale anyware!

Dave
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

It's good for a some parts but not really good as a stand alone set...5/10
st1920
Peasant

Post by st1920 »

This was the first castle set I got. I don't really like the design, especially the dragon head above the entrance,
I love the figures that this set contains, because there is a great variation between the figs. This set also has some really great parts, like the brown treepieces.

design:4/10
figs:9/10
parts:8.6/10

Overall,7.2/10 for my first castle set
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Well, being a bif DM-fan you would thing I'd LOVE this set.

However.

I never owned it but I've gone over the 1993 catalogue, so many times (ahh, those happy days of childish dreaming:D) to know that I DO NOT LIKE IT!

The design is really poor, and the only real unique feature is the dragon head, other than that, it's just a bigger version of the 6076, wich is a much better set.

As for the raised baseplate, at least this type, I think it's cool, the printing and the colors are excellent, gives the place kind of a mystic aura. Very good.

Nothing special on the minifig side.

-JOEL§
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

It has a healthy amount of figures
I love wolfpack
I like dragons
Magicians are ok
I can't say much bad about this set, if you buy it twice you have a nice dragon master troop, but almost no good pieces to build a castle. This is more a big army builder to me
I like army builders :)
7/10
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Patsy: It's only a model.
Arthur: Well, on second thought, let's not go to the Fire Breathing Fortress. It is a silly place.

The good - a lot of figs and accessories, plus a dragon
The bad - elments I'd rarely uses like the printed walls, the prefab battlements, the roof piece and the baseplate
The ugly - the design. The dragon head would have been cool if it was a brick-built dragon set, but as a part of a building it looks silly.

Bruce
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

A great model, could be better but not much better 9/10.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

I like the asymmetric style a lot. Although on a first look it seems a little bit cartoonish like Jojo said before, it has some nice details imo:

First of all the interior is quite well designed; the stairs, the prison and the way "behind" the dragon's seems very realistic to me.

My favourite ist the little red roof on the corner near the prison - in today's sets there wouldn't be such a little detail because of economic reasons (or something like that). I also like the "long" way one brave knight hast to go, to conquer the wizards laboratory (I always imagined the tower as that) and the traps you have to escape for that purpose - it's not as dumb and juniorized as later models.

The opening wall I never recognized as realistic but in terms of playability you were able to open the caste in a way to have access to interior. Maybe you also could use it as some kind of gate to attack attackers in a Helm's Deep-style from behind.

All in all it's a well designed model - just one point (like all DM-sets) the gate-construction for the dragon's cave ist very poor. Not in terms of playablity but in design and being realistc. Too big and clumsey.

The DM-them was the last of the great and big themes and when looking at what followed, I get sick ):(

8/10 becaue there are better castle-sets out there like 6080, 6081 ect.
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

A great set, I wish I had it.
9/10.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

This is easily my favorite set. I had most of the Royal Knight and DarkForest sets in mint condition when I got this, so the play value was great!
It had (for my creations) the best parts and a wizard and a dragon!

99999999999999999999999999999999999999999/10