A reminder about double and triple posting

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

A reminder about double and triple posting

Post by Bluesecrets »

Good day all you wonderful members of CC.

I spent a good hour this morning "cleaning" the forum and I'm not done. Both Bruce and I put a lot of effort into "cleaning" the forum regularly. Today I noticed a new trend that is discussed in our TOS. Here is the link for you if you haven't read the TOS, and if you haven't, please do. And it never hurts to reread and refresh yourself on these every so often. I know I do.

http://www.classic-castle.com/tos.html

Now lets discuss this one please:
7. Double posting Do not double post. Posting two or more times in a row is not necessary. There is an edit button for all posts you make, and it should be used. (There are some exception regarding the Classic-Castle RolePlay)
Like I said, this is becoming a strange trend that I have noticed in the last couple of weeks. And while that seems to be a minor concern, there are more than one member doing that right now.

So if you could all help us out, it is the "busy" season for the admins and none of us can be on this forum 24/7...we have families, lives, jobs..etc...and try not do multiple post, even if you are quoting multiple threads, we would be grateful.

If you need help learning how to quote multiple posts in a row, anyone on the staff would be more than willing to help you.

Thank you much for listening.

Blue
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
ffilz
Foot Soldier

Re: A reminder about double and triple posting

Post by ffilz »

I guess I'd like to understand the purpose of this (apparently being one of the offenders).

I get that if you have an "oops, I should have also said that" moment, that it's desirable to edit your post (on the other hand, and I don't know how this board software handles it, I have been horribly confused trying to understand what was added to a post that was edited, and some boards don't highlight edited posts as new).

On the other hand, at least one of my posts that was combined was in response to a different post, and the combination feels to me like it confuses things, because only one of the posts I was responding to was quoted, and so to some extent, the text in response to the other post could seem in response to the first post. And expanding on that, had I wanted to quote the second post, how does one do so easily? The first post I can click on the quote button and get that post quoted. Now I edit quotes all the time (splitting them up and trimming them), but creating the quote attribution manually, that isn't so easy.

I also have to say that it's challenging dealing with varying etiquette on different boards (I used to be active on a now defunct board that so abhorred editing posts that the feature was actually disabled, very frustrating when you had that "oops" moment, or hit "post" with a half typed post).

I will do my best to follow the etiquette here, but it doesn't always make sense to me to combine posts, and I'm sure I will slip up in the future....

Frank
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

ffilz wrote:And expanding on that, had I wanted to quote the second post, how does one do so easily? The first post I can click on the quote button and get that post quoted. Now I edit quotes all the time (splitting them up and trimming them), but creating the quote attribution manually, that isn't so easy.
Actually that is quite easy, just look at the code when you use the quote button. For example, when quoting you now, I got this:

Code: Select all

[quote="ffilz"]And expanding [...] that isn't so easy.[/quote]
If you would want to insert another quote, just use the same quote-tag, and put another name there, for example:

[quote="Hamlet"]The time is out of joint. O cursèd spite,
That ever I was born to set it right![/quote]
Which would give:
Hamlet wrote:The time is out of joint. O cursèd spite,
That ever I was born to set it right!
You could also skip the name and simply use the quote-tag as it is:

[quote]The time is out of joint. O cursèd spite,
That ever I was born to set it right![/quote]
The time is out of joint. O cursèd spite,
That ever I was born to set it right!
Also, I might add, don't underestimate the preview button, especially when dealing with code, which I admit can be a bit tricky before you're used to it. Just experiment a bit, try the preview and then try to change it if it doesn't work.

I hope that helps!
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey Frank,

As I recall, the rule was in response to some very noobish behavior in the early days of CC, where there were some people who would add a series of one-line responses in a row to a single thread.

As to differing etiquettes on different forums, I think that goes to different views of a forum - is it a more real-time conversation, like a chat window, or more of a permanent record, that someone could come back and read months later? I can see if it is more like a real-time conversation, then highlighting edits or even banning them makes all kinds of sense, since you assume that your readers have already read the post between the original and the edits. If, however, your reader is coming to the post for the first time after all of the editing has been done, highlighting what has been edited is completely superfluous. It would be like getting a book, and instead of reading the final draft, you would get the first draft with all of the edits scribbled in the margins. I guess we've always seen CC as less of a chat and more of a record, in that you can go back and read threads from years ago (I often do when looking for specific information).

Maedhros had some tips on editing. What I do is I just always have multiple tabs open in my browser, so quoting from different posts is easy (very necessary, for instance, in my responses to CCC questions, where I'm addressing a lot of different questions).

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Just to add an easy trick that is something that I do when quoting multiple posts...

I'm guessing that most people hit the "quote" button to reply to a post, which automatically takes you to a reply with the quoted text already populated. If you want to add another quote, you can actually scroll down in the reply page to read the thread (in reverse order) below the reply input field, and by clicking "quote" in another post, you can easily quote multiple people in one reply without having to go back and edit it several times.

Example:

Bruce N H wrote:Hey Frank [....]
Bruce
Maedhros wrote:Actually that is quite easy [...]
I hope that helps!
ffilz wrote:I guess I'd like to understand the purpose of this [...]
Frank
All of the above was done without opening an extra browser window, cutting/pasting, or navigating away from the reply page.

I hope that helps :)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
ffilz
Foot Soldier

Post by ffilz »

Bruce N H wrote: As to differing etiquettes on different forums, I think that goes to different views of a forum - is it a more real-time conversation, like a chat window, or more of a permanent record, that someone could come back and read months later? I can see if it is more like a real-time conversation, then highlighting edits or even banning them makes all kinds of sense, since you assume that your readers have already read the post between the original and the edits. If, however, your reader is coming to the post for the first time after all of the editing has been done, highlighting what has been edited is completely superfluous. It would be like getting a book, and instead of reading the final draft, you would get the first draft with all of the edits scribbled in the margins. I guess we've always seen CC as less of a chat and more of a record, in that you can go back and read threads from years ago (I often do when looking for specific information).
Actually, on the board that blocked editing, it was BECAUSE they wanted a permanent record. The problem was that folks would get pissed at the response to their post and delete their post, rendering the thread now a confusing mess because there's all these out of context responses. I've also seen folks decide to trim their online visibility and delete all their posts on boards.
Maedhros had some tips on editing. What I do is I just always have multiple tabs open in my browser, so quoting from different posts is easy (very necessary, for instance, in my responses to CCC questions, where I'm addressing a lot of different questions).
Oh, as I said, I'm comfortable with editing the BBCode, but it's an extra step to add an attribution. Oh never mind, I just realized I can scroll back through the history while creating a post and quote additional posts... On the other hand... that history is NOT there when you edit a post...

And of course I saw that feature was noted... But right now as I'm editing this post, I can't see the history... So in order to go back and revise a post to add a reference to someone else's post, you need to cut and paste (and open a second window if you want to read the history other than in what you pasted into the post you are editing...).

Perhaps that's a feature that can be turned on...

Frank