Brickfair Virginia 2014 Coordination Thread

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Re: Brickfair Virginia 2014 Coordination Thread

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

SSchmidt wrote: Fantastic thought. We need to start preparing our characters, even now, to all make a grand entrance at this thing. My character, in-game, was just knighted. In his story-line, he's going to become a commander of a small force of troops. As his story progresses, he is going to continue to gain fame among the queen and eventually receive huge promotions.
By the time the convention rolls around, he is going to be a huge leader in the Queen's army. I am thinking that Silas (my LCC character), could be stationed to Maldrake's fortress after news of this major assault catches wind. My character can take his sizable army to the fortress and defend it. Or, if that is too much, then he could be arriving with a huge host of reinforcements sent from the Queen herself? Any thoughts?

Ultimately, as Lord Mercat has stated, I think we need to have a story with this, and plan out just how each one of our in-game characters got involved.

I think we need a firm idea on how the battle will take place by the end of this month, that way we can plan accordingly.

Would there be any combat, if a fortress is sieged?
Or, would a battle be taking place outside the fortress with both forces? If the battle is outside the fortress, then there would be a need for heavily armored trolls and warbeasts for the Outlaws.
Well I don't really have a story tacked down well in advance for my character, it's more or less a general idea as to where things should go. In this case I don't know by what means my character will get there, or why he will be there, but I mostly likely will be there. Maybe Silas and Boethius can "bump" into each other during our adventures sometime. :eyebrows:

As for the battle plan, if we intend to use all of our Outlaw forces maybe we should have the main group of Outlaws, the Queen's troops and Maldrake's henchmen in the tower/keep area, but have the "dirty, hairy, mindless" outlaws, Orcs, Goblins, and Trolls camped outside of the tower. Maybe Maldrake has convinced them to fight for him; either through coin or magic.

Or as I suggested earlier, the other outlaws, orcs, etc. are the reserves for battle, and can be running into the battle to encircle the other three factions. :twisted:
royalbrickcustoms wrote:Hey guys,

How many collaborators plan to go?

I was going to make up some custom cape (and banner) "treat bags" for collab participants.

Can one of you PM me an estimate?

~RBC

I'd try and PM Sir Haymar as he is the head of the display and probably has a better head count. :)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/56307748@N02]Flickr[/url]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... ttorso.jpg[/img]

Check out Lands of Roawia!
Lord Mercat
Laborer

Post by Lord Mercat »

Okay, I think the overall dimensions should be maybe the same size, or a mite larger than that other war collab everyone keeps linking. Does anyone know the exact dimensions of it? The one that Caelan did back in '11.

As for how the battle will play out, I think it should be a combination of both a siege and a ground battle. This would make for the greatest amount of interest I think. Here is my idea- we have the allied Roawian initiated an all out assault on the fortress with Maldrake on the ramparts blasting them with his magic, the walls manned to the brim with the Queens army, etc. Now, in order to catch the allies off guard, the outlaw forces have secretly deployed a large secondary force out of sight before the arrival of the allied armies. At the time of the Moc, we have this ground based force, complet with armored rancors/battle trolls etc attacking the allies from the side. This way we can have the best of both worlds. Yes, it is pretty much the same as everyone else is saying with the reinforcements. I just think, story-wise it would be better if Maldrake, or his brilliant general Silas thought to deploy these forces beforehand. Can't make it too easy for us good guys now.

And I have no issue with Schmidt's character [Silas] being head general under Maldrake or whatnot by the time of this battle. I mean he IS kind of supplying pretty much the entire outlaw forces. I think it works, and it'll make for a good story.

Either way, here is what I'm thinking- as there is no way that an army this large could travel to and assault Maldrake's fortress without someone hearing about it, the allies make it sort of an open secret, knowing that Maldrake's arrogance will prevent him from simply abandoning his stronghold- He IS currently the strongest wizard in Roawia so this would be understandable. Either way, the Queen, not wanting to lose such a powerful stronghold, and wanting to make Maldrake's victory a sure thing, sends her best troops under the command of Silas to serve under Maldrake in the battle. Silas deploys half his troops secretly outside the fortress in a ploy to trap the allies between a large ground force on one side and the walls of Maldrake's fortress and a verifiable hail of magic and arrows on the other. Of course, the allies will have their own surprises and whatnot presumably, but that's all I've got right now.
Caelan
Aquarian

Post by Caelan »

Lord Mercat wrote:I think we would also benefit from building this up over the time period towards Brickfair VA in each of our character's stories IF your LCC character will be present at the showdown...
YES YES YES! Absolutely, it's what LCC is all about. Sir Caelan will be there, with his Scout Snipers. I will buy more figs and create enough to have at least 30 of those sharpshooters present. They could go up against those amazing Queen's Armored Trolls. After all, they have some experience bringing down large beasts 8)
SSchmidt wrote:I think we need to bring a vignette of each faction, just to show the four factions outside of combat in their respective zones (Loreesi in desert, Garhims in snow, Lenfels in trees, Outlaws in swamps)
That's exactly what we do in our Civil War collab. John likes vignettes but doesn't like big battles, so we bring both. This year, several of us are setting up a Battle of The WIlderness alongside John's vignettes; it all works fine. One thing we do to set them apart is to have a rule: every vignette MUST have a black border of some kind. This then provides flow to the theme as they can collectively be identified by that border. Sir Haymar, Lord Mercat and I are Lenfels. I will definitely be bringing multiple Sir Caelan vignettes. So either way Lenfald is covered.
SSchmidt wrote:I had hoped to build one MOC for the Civil War theme with my Union and Confederate troops, but if the LCC collaboration gets going full steam, I would say my full attention would go in that.
:shock: Hey SSchmidt, I didn't mean for this to cause casualties to my nefarious Civil War collab plans! :cry: You can still participate in it by contributing those troops to the cause, if you have them. We only have a total of 250 Union and 190 Confederates so far for the Battle of the Wilderness. Not much compared to your Outlaw horde!
Lord Mercat wrote:Okay, I think the overall dimensions should be maybe the same size, or a mite larger than that other war collab everyone keeps linking. Does anyone know the exact dimensions of it? The one that Caelan did back in '11.
Yep. That was 12 wide of 32x32 baseplates, 6 deep of of 32x32 baseplates. It required double-deep display tables which must be accounted for on the BFVA map, which means the sooner we get that in the better. Does anyone object to me registering "Battle of Maldrake's Fortress" as a MOC within the LCC collab on the BFVA site? Same dimensions as above, 12 x 6?
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/80813941@N08/]My Flickr Account[/url]
John 3:16
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

Hey Gary,

I fully support your registering the MOC now, if you do not have a problem with it.

What kind of LCC Vignette builds for Sir Caelan do you have in mind? Is it too early for that, or have you been thinking on a few?
My civil war soldiers, unfortunately, are all fleshies and have very little uniformity. The Feds are all mismatched (kindly how I envision them, though I know that's not completely accurate) but the Unions are uniformed from the Cavalry builder. I only have about 20 of each though; small forces. I had anticipated during a small scale (32x32 battle) with them if time permitted, based on one of the reenactment's I try to visit every year.

I still may be interested in doing this, though I am quite unsure if my time will permit it now.
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
Lord Mercat
Laborer

Post by Lord Mercat »

I think registering the MOC now would be a good idea as well. That way we don't run the risk of waiting too long and not getting enough space to set everything up.

That said, I think we also need to decide how exactly to divvy up this project. Caelan, when you all built that Napoleonic battle, did everyone build a few baseplates of the landscape, or was it all one person? How did that work out?
Caelan wrote:YES YES YES! Absolutely, it's what LCC is all about. Sir Caelan will be there, with his Scout Snipers. I will buy more figs and create enough to have at least 30 of those sharpshooters present. They could go up against those amazing Queen's Armored Trolls. After all, they have some experience bringing down large beasts 8)
Excellent! 8) It should be a good battle then. Have your men be wary though, armored trolls are a mite tougher than your average Loreesi War Elephant. It won't be easy, they have very tough skin, you'll likely need some special, very sharp arrows to be able to pierce it.... :twisted:
Sir Haymar
Villein

Post by Sir Haymar »

Hey, guys, sorry I took so long to answer, I was busy with a train show, and then I got distracted with some MOCing, :D But now I'm back.
Lord Mercat wrote:Okay, I think the overall dimensions should be maybe the same size, or a mite larger than that other war collab everyone keeps linking. Does anyone know the exact dimensions of it? The one that Caelan did back in '11.
As for how the battle will play out, I think it should be a combination of both a siege and a ground battle. This would make for the greatest amount of interest I think. Here is my idea- we have the allied Roawian initiated an all out assault on the fortress with Maldrake on the ramparts blasting them with his magic, the walls manned to the brim with the Queens army, etc. Now, in order to catch the allies off guard, the outlaw forces have secretly deployed a large secondary force out of sight before the arrival of the allied armies. At the time of the Moc, we have this ground based force, complet with armored rancors/battle trolls etc attacking the allies from the side. This way we can have the best of both worlds. Yes, it is pretty much the same as everyone else is saying with the reinforcements. I just think, story-wise it would be better if Maldrake, or his brilliant general Silas thought to deploy these forces beforehand. Can't make it too easy for us good guys now. And I have no issue with Schmidt's character [Silas] being head general under Maldrake or whatnot by the time of this battle. I mean he IS kind of supplying pretty much the entire outlaw forces. I think it works, and it'll make for a good story.
Either way, here is what I'm thinking- as there is no way that an army this large could travel to and assault Maldrake's fortress without someone hearing about it, the allies make it sort of an open secret, knowing that Maldrake's arrogance will prevent him from simply abandoning his stronghold- He IS currently the strongest wizard in Roawia so this would be understandable. Either way, the Queen, not wanting to lose such a powerful stronghold, and wanting to make Maldrake's victory a sure thing, sends her best troops under the command of Silas to serve under Maldrake in the battle. Silas deploys half his troops secretly outside the fortress in a ploy to trap the allies between a large ground force on one side and the walls of Maldrake's fortress and a verifiable hail of magic and arrows on the other. Of course, the allies will have their own surprises and whatnot presumably, but that's all I've got right now.
I agree one-hundred percent! I like the idea of having both a siege, and a field battle in one. The plot ideas are perfect! I think we should suggest them to the KC for the global storyline. As for the allies having their own surprises, I have invented a new weapon, (not a cannon!), that I think will help even the odds a little. :twisted:
Lord Mercat wrote:I think registering the MOC now would be a good idea as well. That way we don't run the risk of waiting too long and not getting enough space to set everything up. That said, I think we also need to decide how exactly to divvy up this project. Caelan, when you all built that Napoleonic battle, did everyone build a few baseplates of the landscape, or was it all one person? How did that work out? Excellent! 8) It should be a good battle then.

It was mostly Magnus's terrain, with a few buildings from John.
Lord Mercat wrote:Have your men be wary though, armored trolls are a mite tougher than your average Loreesi War Elephant. It won't be easy, they have very tough skin, you'll likely need some special, very sharp arrows to be able to pierce it.... :twisted:
I think my new weapon can take care of them! :twisted:
Now, as for divvying the project up, I can't do anything until I know what Maldrake's castle looks like. Does anyone have a drawing, some concept art, or a micro version? Or am I supposed to design it myself? If any of you know, please let me know, as it is very important that I know ASAP.

One thing, my brother is thinking of joining LCC as in Outlaw. Would any of you have a problem with his troll forces being allied with the faction forces for the assault on Maldrake's fortress? (His character is a troll.)
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

Sir Haymar wrote: Now, as for divvying the project up, I can't do anything until I know what Maldrake's castle looks like. Does anyone have a drawing, some concept art, or a micro version? Or am I supposed to design it myself? If any of you know, please let me know, as it is very important that I know ASAP.

One thing, my brother is thinking of joining LCC as in Outlaw. Would any of you have a problem with his troll forces being allied with the faction forces for the assault on Maldrake's fortress? (His character is a troll.)
Well I suggested and had envisioned something like Barad-dûr. Here's some mood setters -
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 ... 5cazm.jpeg
http://www.wetanz.com/assets/Uploads/lo ... rclrg2.jpg
http://www.lotrscenerybuilder.org/image ... _large.jpg

Here are some other's that aren't LOTR for flavor -
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Iful ... Tower2.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4ub-vEDRlcw/T ... /Tower.jpg
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs42/PRE/f/2 ... begami.jpg

I would link to the images directly, but CC rules only permit 4 per post.

It's great that your brother is thinking of joining the LCC, plus he's thinking of joining the most glorious faction of all! I say the more figures the better! :twisted:

EDIT: So I was looking at the hotels that BF rents out or has coupons for and saw that there are alternatives that are cheaper than the Holiday Inn. I've got no bias towards the holiday inn, it's just that for a student on budget and currently unemployed $104 a night can quickly add-up. So my question is, has anybody ever stayed at either the Fairfield Fairfield Inn or the Wingate Hotel? I mean I'll obviously look at the online reviews and such, but I thought it'd be good to ask here too. :)
Last edited by ZacharyIslazy on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caelan
Aquarian

Post by Caelan »

SSchmidt wrote:What kind of LCC Vignette builds for Sir Caelan do you have in mind?
I will bring my surviving Castle MOCs:
Go Where No One Else Will Go
The Ice Wizard Misses His Mark (Friends in Low Places Part 1)
A Knight's Reward (Rewards and Regrets)
A Hostile Invite
...and I will simultaneously be displaying for WAMALUG at the Tyson's Corner Lego store:
Restoring a River Guardian

And in addition, I will eventually add The Black Swan to this BF list but right now it's just a WIP.
SSchmidt wrote:My civil war soldiers, unfortunately, are all fleshies and have very little uniformity. The Feds are all mismatched (kindly how I envision them, though I know that's not completely accurate) but the Unions are uniformed from the Cavalry builder. I only have about 20 of each though; small forces. I had anticipated during a small scale (32x32 battle) with them if time permitted, based on one of the reenactment's I try to visit every year.
By 1864, Confederates wore whatever they could get, so a miss-mash is actually accurate. Yeah, the fleshie thing is an issue. John Rudy in particular hates them. If you have any left over Outlaws, you could switch heads/hands temporarily for the display. Still, I encourage you to pick a skirmish from 1864 and participate!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/80813941@N08/]My Flickr Account[/url]
John 3:16
Sir Haymar
Villein

Post by Sir Haymar »

ZacharyIslazy wrote: Well I suggested and had envisioned something like Barad-dûr. Here's some mood setters -
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 ... 5cazm.jpeg
http://www.wetanz.com/assets/Uploads/lo ... rclrg2.jpg
http://www.lotrscenerybuilder.org/image ... _large.jpg
Here are some other's that aren't LOTR for flavor -
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Iful ... Tower2.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4ub-vEDRlcw/T ... /Tower.jpg
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs42/PRE/f/2 ... begami.jpg
It's great that your brother is thinking of joining the LCC, plus he's thinking of joining the most glorious faction of all! I say the more figures the better! :twisted:
EDIT: So I was looking at the hotels that BF rents out or has coupons for and saw that there are alternatives that are cheaper than the Holiday Inn. I've got no bias towards the holiday inn, it's just that for a student on budget and currently unemployed $104 a night can quickly add-up. So my question is, has anybody ever stayed at either the Fairfield Fairfield Inn or the Wingate Hotel? I mean I'll obviously look at the online reviews and such, but I thought it'd be good to ask here too. :)
Wow! Those images are seriously spooky! Thanks for the settings to my nightmares for the rest of the year.:P
I did a little searching of my own, and came up a few things you might like, the links are below:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/ ... godeep.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3691/9900 ... d838_z.jpg
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2 ... 4t219f.jpg
http://www.thelandofshadow.com/wp-conte ... astle4.jpg

And here's couple of LOTR ones:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2839/1007 ... 0b45_b.jpg
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2 ... 4nwh0m.jpg

This one isn't creepy, but I'll include it anyway:
http://qhquf2.assets-01.cdndrive.com/wp ... lpaper.jpg

I'll try to work on some preliminary drawings, but I'm really bad at art, so I don't know how good they'll be.

I don't know about the hotels, as we're not that far away from the convention hall, so we've never had to stay in a hotel. I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Yeah, he's looking forward to participating in the collaboration too.
"Plus he's thinking of joining the most glorious faction of all!" He's not joining Lenfald. :P
Lord Mercat
Laborer

Post by Lord Mercat »

ZacharyIslazy wrote: EDIT: So I was looking at the hotels that BF rents out or has coupons for and saw that there are alternatives that are cheaper than the Holiday Inn. I've got no bias towards the holiday inn, it's just that for a student on budget and currently unemployed $104 a night can quickly add-up. So my question is, has anybody ever stayed at either the Fairfield Fairfield Inn or the Wingate Hotel? I mean I'll obviously look at the online reviews and such, but I thought it'd be good to ask here too. :)
While I personally have not stayed at either of these hotels, I can vouch for them. My grandparents have stayed at both on various trips down to visit us, and had no issues or problems whatsoever. They seem to be perfectly respectable hotels.

Now, my 2 cents on the castle is this- I think it is best that we have one person assigned to build the castle so that we can avoid having to match up different building styles, parts supplies, etc. I think it is only fair that the person assigned to build the castle should be allowed to come up with the design (so long as it fits the general atmosphere), as they would best know what they are capable of pulling off. Once we have that person and their design, we can roll from there. Thoughts?
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

I think that is a good idea Lord Mercat, but I also think we might have a hard time securing someone to build this castle. I am currently building a castle, but it is nothing like the one we are wanting. I imagine a castle like this will take months to build. My current castle will probably be finished in the middle of April (hopefully sooner, I should have about 8 hours to work on it Saturday), and if that is the case, I might be able to pull off building another castle. Then again, I don't want to get burnt out.

If the conflict is taking place on the field of battle, it is the field, then, that has to be big as opposed to the castle, right?

***EDIT - if the battle is to take place on a scale of 12 wide by 6 deep, then that is 72 32x32 green baseplates, right? How many baseplates does everyone have?
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

Lord Mercat wrote:
While I personally have not stayed at either of these hotels, I can vouch for them. My grandparents have stayed at both on various trips down to visit us, and had no issues or problems whatsoever. They seem to be perfectly respectable hotels.

Now, my 2 cents on the castle is this- I think it is best that we have one person assigned to build the castle so that we can avoid having to match up different building styles, parts supplies, etc. I think it is only fair that the person assigned to build the castle should be allowed to come up with the design (so long as it fits the general atmosphere), as they would best know what they are capable of pulling off. Once we have that person and their design, we can roll from there. Thoughts?
Thanks for the info!

I think one person per castle is definitely the best idea. No conflict, no drama. As for build style I also agree. If you build the thing feel free to build it as you think it should look, keeping in mind our basic vision.
SSchmidt wrote:I think that is a good idea Lord Mercat, but I also think we might have a hard time securing someone to build this castle.

If the conflict is taking place on the field of battle, it is the field, then, that has to be big as opposed to the castle, right?

***EDIT - if the battle is to take place on a scale of 12 wide by 6 deep, then that is 72 32x32 green baseplates, right? How many baseplates does everyone have?
I can't build it because I don't have the bricks or skill needed to achieve such a feat. If I could, I honestly would.

I assume the battle will take place on a mix between a swampy marsh and flat grass covered field. I have 3 green 32x32 base plates. I can certainly get more though, and since the terrain ins't that hard to build I could probably build around 10-15. I think we should get a working grip layout going for the project, and assign spots. What do you guys think?

Sir Haymar
Villein

Post by Sir Haymar »

Sorry guys for not posting in a while, I got distracted, building a couple of LCC MOCs.
Lord Mercat wrote: Now, my 2 cents on the castle is this- I think it is best that we have one person assigned to build the castle so that we can avoid having to match up different building styles, parts supplies, etc. I think it is only fair that the person assigned to build the castle should be allowed to come up with the design (so long as it fits the general atmosphere), as they would best know what they are capable of pulling off. Once we have that person and their design, we can roll from there. Thoughts?
SSchmidt wrote:
if the battle is to take place on a scale of 12 wide by 6 deep, then that is 72 32x32 green baseplates, right? How many baseplates does everyone have?
ZacharyIslazy wrote:
I think one person per castle is definitely the best idea. No conflict, no drama. As for build style I also agree. If you build the thing feel free to build it as you think it should look, keeping in mind our basic vision. I assume the battle will take place on a mix between a swampy marsh and flat grass covered field. I have 3 green 32x32 base plates. I can certainly get more though, and since the terrain ins't that hard to build I could probably build around 10-15. I think we should get a working grip layout going for the project, and assign spots. What do you guys think?
Well, if you all are decided on this, I'm willing to build the castle, with the help of my brother (who just joined LCC...Outlaws :( ). Since we live in the same house, we can easily pool our resources for this. Everyone in favor of this course of action, PM me.

If you all still want to jointly build the castle, I've posted a couple of example modules, one terrain, one castle, in my photostream. Here's the link:https://www.flickr.com/photos/95309146@N06/?details=1. I'll try to write up some guidelines, so everything fits together perfectly. Everyone in favor of this course of action, PM me.

Finally, I am moving this discussion to Merlin's Beard, under Events there will be a thread for this collaboration.

Thoughts?