Weekly Set Review: Knight's Challenge

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

For 20$ then: Two horses w/ bardings, 7 men, 1 woman, racks of weapons, and kegs of ale... A recipe for disaster for the minifigs, perhaps, but a blessing for us castle-lovers...

For 30$ now: 2 jellybean knights, two real weapons, two big cardboard shields, a little king sitting on a high, high chair, and two wheeled horses. "Hello. Would you like some cheese?"

Hmmm... The competition? I just coughed up all my cash on ebay, so I won't be getting this anytime soon... But if I scrape up some $$ from somewhere and see a decent deal, the men can brawl over their ale forever at my place. Great set, 10/10
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

This is the pinnacle of the Jousting sets and I have always liked it. The fig count and the overall design of the set make it one of the best sets ever made by TLC. The inclusion of two bardings was a great bonus and sadly something that has not been repeated since. 9.5/10 then and it is too far off the scale from the sets they make now for me to rate it. I would have given it a 10/10 then, but I would have loved to see some euro armor in that set.

Yes I do know they hadn't made euro armor yet. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Silent Arrow
Villein

Post by Silent Arrow »

.... Nice set. The only problem is that the figures are painted in colors that don't match well with the figures of other sets, for example the type of the axeman (blue color - black knight) is not met in other sets.....
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Magnus wrote:If they released this as a lengend I like to think it coud fly off the shelves. Was it released in Europe? I don't remember it when it came out.

This set was only sold as set 1584 in Europe and was limited to Denmark. A year later in 1989, it was released as set 6060 in the United States.

My review: My favorite part about this set as a child was the bright colors. I like the use of primary colors of red, blue, yellow, and green to make this tournament. The pavilion is the best of any LEGO joust sets. Other small sets like 6035, which probably is a tournament tent (or a castle guard shack for a gate), work well with 6060. Playability was nice because of all the figures. Finally, this set has one of my favorite sub models, a snot boat with sails :wink:

Ben E.
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

................... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
10000000000000 trillion out of ten.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
legodude101
Peasant

Post by legodude101 »

nice wish i had it though
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This Knight's Challenge is a worthy successor of the former 383 Knight's Tournament. The sheer amount of minifigs seems to make it even better. In any case this set brings colour into the Legoland Castle world. If only technicolor had been invented during the dark middle ages we would see it's not been that darkish then.

It's a shame they didn't sell this everywhere as a regular set. Even if 1584 was available in Denmark most kids in Europe never knew this model existed until they discovered some set databases in the internet like I did in the year 2000. Sometimes I hate TLC for their sales strategy.

Bye
Jojo

Poshwa
Villein

Post by Poshwa »

If only the ebay prices for this didn't go so high....
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I think that this set would have sell very well if it has been available everywhere. I'm not sure it wasn't available in Canada, but I didn't seen it in store.

This set is another perfect set. There is not much perfect set, but this one is one of them. It's one of those I don't have. It's price is very much too high on the market. This is a good reason for a rereleasing !

The colors are great and the playability very high. There is enough minifig to play (not as KK1 and KK2 tournament).

Nothing would have make this set better expect that it should have been available in every country. :cry:
gormadoc1
Artisan

Re: Weekly Set Review: Knight's Challenge

Post by gormadoc1 »

This is a wonderful set with great accesories, I just love it. :D 8/10
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.