~Journey Among Thieves~ "A Long Overdue Celebration"

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Andared of Lenfald
Foot Soldier

~Journey Among Thieves~ "A Long Overdue Celebration"

Post by Andared of Lenfald »

This was a build for the Lands of Roawia roleplaying game, and it is also the beginning of a new tale...

~Journey Among Thieves~ Chapter One: "A Long Overdue Celebration"

=====

The leaves of the forest rustled under the soft northern breeze, and the trees gently swayed in a peaceful rhythm. Michael smiled as he strode across the forest floor, making his way back to the hunting lodge. His day had not been as successful as he had hoped (indeed, he had not caught so much as a hare on this morning), but he was not concerned about this. After all, his mind had been elsewhere during the entirety of his hunt. The day had finally come for the great celebration.
Four months ago, when news had reached Michael’s home, the city of Bladefall (which was barely more than a small town, by Michael’s estimation), that the war against the terrible wizard known as Maldrake the Silent was finally over, and that victory had been achieved, there was great joy. The victory, however, was short lived, for a terrible winter was coming. After having been occupied by the Dragon army of the false Queen Galainir for so long, the stores of Bladefall had been utterly depleted. This would have been a grim situation for any city, but particularly for Bladefall, given its location.
As the northernmost port and city in all of Lenfald, Bladefall had long been subject to harsh winds and bitter winter chills. Were it not for the expansive forests surrounding it, one might easily mistake it for a Garhim city during the winter, and not just for the chill. Bladefall was the port through which nearly all Lenfel-Garhim trade took place, and the population of the city was comprised of merchants from Garheim almost as much as it was Lenfels.
The citizens of Bladefall had neither the time, nor the resources to properly celebrate their victory when the war was first won. Now, however, with the last vestiges of winter at their backs and the promise of spring before them, the people of Bladefall were ready. This very night, they planned to pay tribute to the fallen and honor those who had returned from the war, and there was to be a merry party throughout the city, with great feasting and entertainment that should last well into the midnight hours.
Michael could hardly contain his excitement as he burst into the clearing where the hunting lodge resided.
“Ho there, Michael!” Came the friendly cry from Astaroth, a fellow hunter, who was seated near the outdoor firepit and whittling on a small wooden block. “How did you fare on your hunt this fine morning?”
“Not well, I am afraid,” Michael said as he laid down his bow and pack beside his horse. “But I confess, I could hardly focus on hunting when I knew that I shall be feasting in but a few hours!”
“Indeed! Well, let us be thankful that there are some hunters who are not so easily distracted, so that there will be food with which we can feast!” Astaroth replied with a wink.
Michael grinned, and gestured toward where Astaroth lazily reclined on the bench. “Yes, let us be thankful for the hard work of those such as yourself. I do not know what we should do without your never-ending dedication toward the hunt!”
Both of them laughed heartily at the friendly jab, and Michael promptly took up a seat beside Astaroth. The two friends began discussing what kinds of events and entertainment would go on during the festivities that night, and which of them would manage to eat the most. Their mutual anticipation and excitement for what was to come was a sentiment that was shared by most all of Bladefall’s citizens. Much planning and hard work had gone into making this feast possible, and at last they would finally realize the fruits of their labor. From above, the sun smiled upon them and the cloudless sky promised excellent weather for the long overdue celebration…

=====

Thanks to everyone who checked this out. I know the story was lengthy, but I hope you took the time to read it! This was actually one of the shorter installments that I have written so far, so reading this tale will not be for the faint of heart (I would like for it to be as similar to a novel as possible), but I will do my best to make sure that it is worth your time! I hope you all enjoyed it, and please feel free to post any critiques or comments down below.
LittleJohn
Admin
Admin

Re: ~Journey Among Thieves~ "A Long Overdue Celebration"

Post by LittleJohn »

Very nice build! I really like the tree and little stream :woo:
One critique would be to add some more plates/grass to the ground, to give it more of a grassy appearance :)
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

Very cool! My suggestions would be to layer more plates on the ground fluidly to make it look more realistic, and to make the transition to the brown patches on the roof a bit more smooth and patchy, instead of just jagged square blocks on the black. On the plus side, the tutoring looks good, as does the path :)
Andared of Lenfald
Foot Soldier

Post by Andared of Lenfald »

Thanks guys! Yeah, adding in layering for the grass has definitely been the number 1 critique for this build. I've never really explored that technique much, so I guess it's time to learn!
Justin M
Sheriff

Post by Justin M »

Wow, that building is massive! Excellent work! :)
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/86369329 ... 2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/112482494@N07/]Flickr[/url] [url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/79686]Mocpages[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Jbob]Brickshelf[/url]
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23