MOC - BlueWater Castle

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Cesbrick
Peasant

MOC - BlueWater Castle

Post by Cesbrick »

Hey everybody

I consider myself a castle builder, but I have never build a castle in the real sense of the word, so I thought it was about time I build one.

As I’m working on a big display to my LUGs expositions (comunidade 0937) and having access to a lot more parts I could go a little wild. :)

This MOC stands on a footprint of 4x3 (48x48) baseplates and is more than 3 feet high. I had a clear idea of what I wanted to do since the beginning, but of course some modifications and adjustments were made along the build, such as the positioning of the various towers on the main walls or the shape of the half-timbered sections.

A few facts and thoughts that I would like to share:
- Its viewable from the 4 sides and completely modular so it can easily be transported.
- Despite having access to more parts, I still had some limitations. So, for instance, I had to use more LBG 1x2 plates and 1x2 masonry dark tan bricks on the walls that I wanted but nevertheless I think it turned out Ok all the same.
- The colors used on the landscape terrain are not the ones that I would like to use, but again, due to its size, I had to use more common ones.
- I build this at home and took me about 250 hours in 50 or so days to build this MOC.
- I have no idea how many parts it’s made off! If someone as a rough idea, please let me now. But I can tell you that just on the landscape alone and on the castle interiors I used around 10000 2x4 bricks of various colors and on the walls I used at least 4000 round 1x1 bricks.
- The landscape was not my priority as it will sure suffer some changes and adding’s when integrated on the full display so I spend just 5 days on it and is not yet as I want him to look.
- Also, the trees are somewhat simple as I need them to be brickbuild (for easier transportation and also due to time restrictions) but I kind like them that way.

- Naturally, I’m a BIG noob in taking good pics and these are total crap (overexposed, poor lighting, poor focus). Taking reasonable ones was a huge #$#/&%$ pain and it looks so much better in person :)
Hope you all like it. It sure was an immense fun to build these one :)

I will try to upload more pics in a few days before I get this huge thing in card boxes :)

ImageBlueWater Castle

ImageBlueWater Castle

ImageBlueWater Castle
AardWolf
Apprentice

Re: MOC - BlueWater Castle

Post by AardWolf »

Well, this is nothing short of astounding. Not that anyone would expect less than that from you :wink: . I think you did a splendid job combining angles, round towers, and height to create a very visually appealing castle. The fact that this is your first actual castle also makes me feel uncomfortably incompetent. I'm with you about the trees- I think they look really good here. My only complaint is the lack of thicker vegetation around the stream, but like you said there will be changes made and I tend to go a bit plant-crazy :tasty: .

As for your photography, it looks just fine to me here, and I don't think cameras will every fully capture the awesomeness of real-life Lego builds.

Anyways, exceptional work and you have raised your already-very-high bar another notch!
LittleJohn
Admin
Admin

Post by LittleJohn »

:shock: Breathtaking! :twitch: :shock: The layout and bridge are amazing, as well as the roofs! Superb rockwork too!
RedBrick
Freeman

Post by RedBrick »

I only rarely see something where modesty is so misplaced than for this castle: its absolutely fantastic! :)
The detailling and composition are highly impressive, it looks perfectly balanced and is simply a beauty. Also I dont really mind that its not more vegetation. Having some clearance around a castle means a unobstructed line of sight.

Also the photos are really (really!) good, the only things I am missing are interior shots. Im looking forward to see this brilliant building from inside! :)
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

Truly awesome!! I love all the details, levels, towers, and colors. As you already know, I blogged it :)
David FNJ
Villein

Post by David FNJ »

This is nothing short of a masterpiece! The details are extremely well done, and the scale adds to the build's impressiveness. Magnificent!
For the Glory of Loreos!
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/97537]MOCpages[/url]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidfnjlegoproductions/]Flickr[/url]
Justin M
Sheriff

Post by Justin M »

Definitely one of the most detailed, large-scale castle I've seen! :twitch:
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/86369329 ... 2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/112482494@N07/]Flickr[/url] [url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/79686]Mocpages[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Jbob]Brickshelf[/url]
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23
K3G
Freeman

Post by K3G »

Well, this is a truly great build, you are high talented in a lot of building techniques and you have a great sense of space and colors. By the way, as other great builders such as Deferl Cadarn or others, those castles sound to me more Walt Disney castles than real ones. You know guys, I'm a lot into architecture and story and a lot less into fantasy.
But this is still a masterpiece! Congratulations!
Non nobis, non nobis Domine, sed Nomini Tuo da gloriam!
Wilfred of Ivanhoe
Peasant

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

So very cool! I would love to play with... er... uh... admire the castle from a safe distance. You really did a great job. I love the realistic variety you put into the vegetation and landscape. You put a lot of cool detail into the castle itself too. I am impressed and inspired. ...and I still want to play with it. :)
bobbir
Gong Farmer

Post by bobbir »

This is amazing. Your first castle build, too!

Seriously can't stop looking.
richardanthonyc
Reeve

Post by richardanthonyc »

Simply stunning.... the level of detail :twitch:

Reminds me of the castle in the sword in the stone
SIlent enim leges inter arma

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... asant4.jpg[/img]
Graham Gidman
Laborer

Post by Graham Gidman »

:twitch:
Spherical
Serf

Post by Spherical »

This is one of the most beautiful lego castles I have ever seen, the amount of detail is incredible! I really like this wall building style. Using all these different bricks combined with a lot of SNOT gives a very nice ancient, weatherworn look. Also the detailed brick-built doors are impressive! Excellent work and thanks for sharing these pictures!
Medieval Michael
Serf

Post by Medieval Michael »

Nice model! I love all of the shaping and texturing you got in that castle. :)
TheLordOfBricks
Foot Soldier

Post by TheLordOfBricks »

Wow, I can't stop looking at this for inspiration, I love this a ton! The landscape is great, but the castle is amazing, especially the cool Dark Blue roofs, and the stonework is pretty good! Keep it up!
"I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”" Psalms 91:2

My Flickr: [url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/158415872@N02/[/url]