CCC 19 - The Question Thread - and FAQ

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

CCC 19 - The Question Thread - and FAQ

Post by Bluesecrets »

Here it is...the place for questions. I promise I will answer you as soon as I can. Some of the amazing people helping me out may answer for me.

Please note that this year's rules are different than in the past. Having said that, there will not be a naughty list.

I really really want this to be fun like it used to be.

And we are working on the prizes.

________
FAQ
________

1) Images do not have to be hosted at any specific website, but they do need to be organized so that we only see the images of that specific build.

2) No digital entries.

3) No former image rules. The white background requirement is gone. Any size restriction is gone. The number of photos is gone.

4) The castle movie category is movie only, not tv, anime, comics, or other forms of digital media.

5) Customizing is defined for this round of the CCC as any building or physical change to the minifigure.

6) Your build should not have been seen online prior to the start of the contest. This is an old rule that is still in play.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Bishons
Apprentice
Location: The land where the sun beats hot and the kangaroos bounce 'round

Re: CCC 19 - The Question Thread

Post by Bishons »

What folder can I put my photos on? I don't have a Flickr account, but could I use my website?
Bishons,

The key to good MOC building is a large brain and a kinda big wallet

My website: https://sites.google.com/view/bishons-lego-creations/home
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Bishons wrote:What folder can I put my photos on? I don't have a Flickr account, but could I use my website?
1) You can. It's just really better for us to click on a link that has all of the images you want us to see at one time. And without images from other builds.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

anotherParrot
Villein

Post by anotherParrot »

Does "photos" mean to present real constructions?

Can we present a creation by rendering (with Stud.io for example)? And if not, can it be accepted if the construction takes into account stability and feasibility?

My main concern, would be the lack of bricks/elements, and especially the fact that I don't have a way to make quality pictures.
[url]http://lego.patatoide.com/[/url]
valerius_maximus
Serf

Post by valerius_maximus »

Just to clarify: is there no need to post a photo with a white background for entries to CCC XIX?
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

anotherParrot wrote:Does "photos" mean to present real constructions?

Can we present a creation by rendering (with Stud.io for example)? And if not, can it be accepted if the construction takes into account stability and feasibility?

My main concern, would be the lack of bricks/elements, and especially the fact that I don't have a way to make quality pictures.
2) I will get back to you on this one.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

valerius_maximus wrote:Just to clarify: is there no need to post a photo with a white background for entries to CCC XIX?
3) No white background required. No picture restrictions at all.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Bluesecrets wrote:
anotherParrot wrote:Does "photos" mean to present real constructions?

2) I will get back to you on this one.
Circling back with the answer. We are not allowing digital entries.

The thing is...a huge entry does not guarantee a win in any category. A small build, that meets the 3 judging criteria, can take down any giant that doesn't.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

anotherParrot
Villein

Post by anotherParrot »

Bluesecrets wrote: The thing is...a huge entry does not guarantee a win in any category. A small build, that meets the 3 judging criteria, can take down any giant that doesn't.
For my part, it was not the intention to build huge/giant, but rather to have a means of presentation (produce an image). Secondly, to have access to some parts that may be missing from my inventory.
I prefer a small build too, and rather classic in style.
[url]http://lego.patatoide.com/[/url]
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey,

Just in support of what Blue said above, as someone who has judged a ton of LEGO contests over the years, it's never been a question of who has the really rare parts in obscure colors, or about who just has the sheer volume of bricks to pull off a ten foot tall tower.* It's about the cool idea, well executed and presented well.

*Small caveat - collection size can make a difference if, say, the category requires a full castle at fig scale. Me as a kid would just not have had enough bricks to pull that off. But that's why the CCC has always included a variety of categories, from as small as a single fig, a wagon, or a microscale scene up to as large as a town layout with multiple buildings, or a castle with a keep, outer walls, and a gatehouse covering multiple baseplates. This way everyone can find categories to compete in. Looking back over the last 18 contests, even when we've had a "misc." category with no size restrictions, it's never just been the biggest thing that won.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
kongutahu
Serf

Post by kongutahu »

For category 2 does it have to be based on a movie, or can it be based on a tv show? Or even other visual media (comics, videogames).

Is category 6 looking for custom painted figs, purist custom figs, or both?
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

kongutahu wrote:For category 2 does it have to be based on a movie, or can it be based on a tv show? Or even other visual media (comics, videogames).

Is category 6 looking for custom painted figs, purist custom figs, or both?
A movie scene has a lot room for freedom and creativity, so please keep it limited to a movie scene.

It says build or customize your crew. So painting is customizing.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Hi Blue! Any chance we can get the questions pasted into the first post, as sort of a "FAQ"? That will save people scrolling through the whole thread, and might help reduce duplication of already-answered questions.

If there's a way for me to help out with that (editing permissions?) I am happy to do so.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Great idea! I can try to put some time aside to do that.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

What limits are there with regard to submitting entries that were built outside the timeline of the contest duration? Is there a rule that you have to build the MOC between say Nov 5th (announcement) and Jan 5th (end date)? Or can you submit something which was built earlier in the year?

I believe we've always stuck with the former (with the exception of "if you've started working on an entry (like a big castle) but haven't posted it anywhere yet, it's fine"), but wanted to clarify since a few other rules have fallen away this year.

Thanks!
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!