I just want to vent

Discussion of general LEGO topics
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

I just want to vent

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Ok - so when I first saw this part Image I thought to myself "hey what a great part!" and I bought a few sets that had that part. So from the very first time I got one though - I find its a pain in the neck to actually try to use. The angles are wrong, it doesn't seem to line up right with the other castle walls, and it just doesn't really work for me.

SO

tell me... what part out there did you first think "wow what a cool part!" and then find it wasnt that great? Did this ever happen to you?

Am I MAD??!?!?

:D
Jennifer
Queen Jenn the Hottie

Post by Jennifer »

Freak says:
Am I MAD??!?!?
Do I have to answer that in terms of the topic involved? :wink:
Because, the answer is - Duh!

Seriously, though, why didn't you tell me before I ordered like 15 of those in a BL order? I can see where they are hard to work in...NOW that I have some.
Last edited by Jennifer on Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I also thought that was going to be a great part when I saw it in the catalog pics. I was thinking hey a new castle wall style and in dark grey. :D

Then I bought a bunch of sets with that dang piece and I couldn't even get my money worth back on Bricklink. Dang rotton part! :x

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Those turret top pieces are right up there too. Cool on a set like 6086, but useless in a larger castle with massive walls and towers (I find it a bit silly to have a tower that can only hold 4 archers :P )

Sadly the new wall pieces introduced in KK2 will be somewhat limited due to the sloped out portion on the bottom of them. Stacking them to make a taller wall might not look that great. Oh yeah, and they are bley :evil:
Troy T. Moore
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

I do'nt like this part at alln and that's not only because of the fact that it's pretty useless in the building of bigger castles.

Now, I only own ONE of these parts so far (the one I got in 8799) but still i can honestly say that I've found no use for it.

If you see it from The-lego-scale-perspective, it's really a whole floor of a castle wall, or you can put it on top of something like the big ugly wall pieces with windows in 8799: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=8799_1&v=z

And that is basically the things you can do with it.

I'll come back if I find some revolutionary new use for it...

_JOEL_
I'm back, and so is Castle!
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Jennifer wrote:Seriously, though, why didn't you tell me before I ordered like 15 of those in a BL order? I can see where they are hard to work in...NOW that I have some.

A couple months ago, somebody named Jennifer bought all of those parts from my BrickLink store. :)

Despite being a castle guy, I have no interest in using this part. It's too big and too small at the same time. I think if it was only 2 studs deep, it would be far more usable for creating small facets in the surface of a wall or something. Likewise, since it's barely wide enough for a minifig to stand inside of, it cannot be used to create a small tower or anything. It was just a waste of engineering resources...

...unless...

...you think kids are fooled into believing that one of those turret parts with a cone on top really looks like a castle tower? It seems like the part was created for the sole purpose of making castles look bigger than they really are by sticking those little towers all over the place. I greatly dislike that trend.
Last edited by rogue27 on Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Re: I just want to vent

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

LEGOFREAK wrote:Am I MAD??!?!?
Yes.

:twisted:

I've seen worse parts, but yes, this castle wall is pretty hard to work with. However I was able to get three of them into my Bell Tower:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/5292

Hmm...a future Seed Part perhaps...?
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: I just want to vent

Post by Formendacil »

LEGOFREAK wrote:Am I MAD??!?!?
This is a trick question, right? :D

Of course you're mad.

Fortunately for me, I only have one of these pieces. It's about as useful by itself for my Castle creations as, say, a steering wheel.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

That piece is one of the worst!

In fact I've only ever seen one really good use for it:

I really wish I knew this guy's name, he's brilliant.

Other than this the piece is so bad. You can't even connect it to flors and such without adding a separate layer of bricks.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hallo!

I really wish I knew this guy's name, he's brilliant.
He is. His name is Takeshi Itou IIRC.
This is his BrickShelf-Folder:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=hachi

Bye
Jojo

Jennifer
Queen Jenn the Hottie

Post by Jennifer »

Rogue said:
A couple months ago, somebody named Jennifer bought all of those parts from my BrickLink store. :smile:
Guilty as charged! Bought those, and some monkeys, if I recall... and I was wrong, not 15 of them. 17!!!!! *rolls eyes*
I was going to try to do something fancy for when Henry got here. Instead, I have these in a drawer, LOL.
Thanks again for bringing it up, Freak.

And also, LMAO at Jojo and the completely yellow fig in the sig earlier.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Here's Takeshi Itou's website as well:
http://home.att.ne.jp/apple/hachi/ce_top.htm
Yep, he's probably my favorite castle builder out there.

On the piece, I agree it's pretty worthless. I like Nathan's use, and Poshwa recently posted this MOC:
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=97987
so maybe in the future I'll pull this one out of my "worthless parts" bin and try to incorporate it.

Bruce
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

I immediately noticed that castle wall thing is pretty useless. It's too deep, too narrow to combine with any other angled brick, and no matter where you'd use it, it'll never really integrate with your moc, rather be a part sitting on its own :evil:

However, I did make the same kind of mistake.. with this part. I bought tons of Sopwith camels and ordered those at BL, but i only use a few of em succesfully, the ones in the roofs of my stave church are all to be replaced with something else that'll increase the coolness/accuracy of the moc with at least 25%, according to me :P (but pictures of that will be taken soon..)
Same goes for the 6x4 version, pretty useless. The 8x4 wings i use in the roofs as well are also useless, only handy for this particular moc - after that I'll have ALOT of them and i have no idea what to do with it :cry:
Whatever you do, don't.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Teup wrote:I immediately noticed that castle wall thing is pretty useless. It's too deep, too narrow to combine with any other angled brick, and no matter where you'd use it, it'll never really integrate with your moc, rather be a part sitting on its own :evil:

However, I did make the same kind of mistake.. with this part. I bought tons of Sopwith camels and ordered those at BL, but i only use a few of em succesfully, the ones in the roofs of my stave church are all to be replaced with something else that'll increase the coolness/accuracy of the moc with at least 25%, according to me :P (but pictures of that will be taken soon..)
Same goes for the 6x4 version, pretty useless. The 8x4 wings i use in the roofs as well are also useless, only handy for this particular moc - after that I'll have ALOT of them and i have no idea what to do with it :cry:
thanks Teup - thats what I am talking about! now I know NOT to buy that piece. because I thought about using them for roofs too. but like you said... what else is there?

:D
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Teup wrote:However, I did make the same kind of mistake.. with this part.
Actually, with that part, I think it could serve as the floor in a multi-level house (for example). There, you could move the furniture and minifigs around. Sure, the minifig won't have its feet anchored on a stud, but it would be much more poseable...

-Bryan

P.S. I have 6 sopwith camels myself :)