Weekly Set Review: Sea Serpent

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Sea Serpent

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6057 Sea Serpent.

Sea Serpent, released in 1992, is the largest LEGO Castle ship. The set comes with 3 Black Knight's men: a rower, a crossbowman, and a soldier. Two Black Falcon's, an archer and a soldier, are also included along with various accessories.

forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

This set is perfect! Great army bulder for sure. It has FIVE soldiers with plenty of shields, weapons, and helemts!

It looksl ike it has some great playability too! I reallyl ike this set even though it wasn't the best Black KNight one it's still looks great!

I will have to give it a 9.9 out of 10

I kinda have my eye on this for the CCC2

Edited by Forester.
Last edited by forester3291 on Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Space rocks.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

A very kool little set. Definately one of my favourite classic castle sets, though unfortunately I don't own a copy. It includes 5 shields, 5 men, and and some good weapons. What more can you ask of an under-$20 set? I love that it includes men from both the Black Knights and the Falcons. And with the little set that came freewith it for awhile, which added another 2 men in a boat, this set was a whopper deal for $16.50. I'd give this set a 9/10, then, and a 10/10 now.

Cm2
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

So this was finally a ship of reasonable size with some space within and a real sail. The manner how the prow and the stern are built (not the premolded crenelation parts but the surrounding structure) gives a somewhat maritime feeling.

Remarkable is the last appearance of the Black Falcons, with "wrong" legs though.

I only got this set about three years ago and I never actually played with it so I can't judge its playability.

Of course in Germany set 6057 never came with any free extra set.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

When I first saw that set I liked it but I guess not enough to buy it. It got 3 unique bricks, the 2 Blue Turrents and the unique dragon sail which is great. 5 minifigs but none of them is unique. Oars, Yellow Goblet, shields etc. all those things that by now everybody owns a stock. Most of the bricks when it comes to it can only make another ship in the buttom line. Well it's biggest ship TLC ever made for Castle, yet it got nothing special otherwise. Give me 6049 anyday, it's much better. The color scheme is ok. The 2 armys of the Black Knights and the Black Falcons seems to be in a peace/war state. No one can seem to figure out if the 2 Falcon figures are prisoners or really part of the expedition. I guess it's down to the kid who plays with it.
I wish LEGO will start making some more bigger fleets for castles, like big ships (like they made for pirates), maybe vikings or eastern "Marco Polo" expedition style.

Final Score: 8.5/10
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

This is one of my favorite sets ever produced by the Lego group. It came out at the beginning of my dark ages, so I only purchased one while it was available in the stores. Big mistake! :oops:

The boat itself looks like it could really sail the seas; it could at least make the trip from Scandanavia to the British Isles or to mainland. (If the falcons are German as I've always suspected, then they made it to northern Germany). Too bad the set didn't come with some French soldiers for the vikings to beat up on! :wink:

Great figures, great boat, great set.

On a side note, if you're looking to obtain one of these, I've found the most cost effective way is to purchase the pieces separate. The boat hull pieces are cheap, and everything else is widely available. The two blue tower fortification pieces are the only somewhat rare piece besides the sail. You can find them for about $.50. The figs you can get for about $2-3 each. The sail is the only downside to this method. I haven't found just a sail for sale yet, so a bunch of my boats are at the harbor permanantly. :lol:
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Defintly one of my favorite sets. It is a solid boat. It has a good selection of minfigs. 10/10
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Hmmm I could have sworn that we did this set before. Oh well. :?

This cerntainally is an awesome set. All those shields and weapons. The sail, and the figs. Definatly a good set. Also it is just about the only real castle ship, which increases its positivity. 10/10!

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Umgarla
Laborer

Sea Serpent

Post by Umgarla »

Well I never bought this set myself, but a friend of mine had it once. It has as already mentioned great playability although it would have been nicer if the falcons were in a ship as well. I mean... you have the black falcons situated on land, a shore perhaps and then you have the black knights in a ship. Unless the black knights dock somewhere there's no way you're can play with them together. That's why I think an additional ship should have been added.
Something that have been bothering me a lot, was the two turret pieces on the ship. I know it's a CC ship but how many in here have seen battlements on a medieval ship? :shock:
But for the good part of it: It is a great set like almost all sets from that time and before. It has a good variety of minifigs and nice equipment for them too. The ship has those two blue(!!) turret pieces which is somewhat rare IMO and you get a real sail for the ship. It's a good set, not one of the best, but a good one.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=115690]"Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?"[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Robin Hood wrote:Hmmm I could have sworn that we did this set before. Oh well. :?

This cerntainally is an awesome set. All those shields and weapons. The sail, and the figs. Definatly a good set. Also it is just about the only real castle ship, which increases its positivity. 10/10!

Dan :wink:
And I could have sworn the same...so I did a search:

viewtopic.php?t=1456&highlight=sea+serpent

Saves me the time of writing again, so I'll just cut and paste what I said previously. Do we get a new weekly review? 8)

The Sea Serpent is the largest ship in the Castle line. It makes a great port raider or coastal craft, and comes packed to the gunnels with minifigs. It has a distinctly medieval look with its crennelated fore and aft castles, single sail, and steering oars. Alas that there is no true cog, but this was a pleasant and unique set for the Castle line that works very well for its size. It is a set that I would love to see reproduced as a Legend.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

At the time this set was release, I was only 4 so I couldn't get the set :)
I don't have too many Black Knights nor Falcons so I would love to have this set :) But I hope I win this from the CCC2
I really love the look of it :)
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

This is certainly one of the better sets lego produced before the castle line began to nosedive. Unfortunately, it was also when I experienced my first dark ages, so I never actually took the opportunity to purchase a copy of it. Still, I must say, I really like the design of 6057. Its refreshing when one sees a caslte set that isn't predominantly gray. In today's market, this would make a great legend as it has a noticable absence of gray (now blay) pieces which means I would still consider purchasing it. 8/10.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Hmm... yep, I remember first getting this set - actually, it was only 2 years ago. ;-)

I love it, and I love the idea of castle going maritime... I suppose it's no big deal that there aren't many ships for castle becuase you can just get Pirate and customize, but I would love to see tlc do some cool stuff like this on the high seas...

Anyway, I like the ship, I like the number of figs you get, and I like the little ship that came with it as well (kinda cool). I wish I had bought some of these when they first came out ~
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Yes, we did this set before.
Bring on the repetitions of winter.
Great set.10/10.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I thought that we had reviewed this set before but I forgot. Oh well, it is our first repeated review and some newer members got to comment on it ;) Plus, I had forgotten about the Shop at Home deal from 1993 (I think) with the bonus 1547 set. Could we get a scan of the entire page?

This is a good set in my opinion because it is not a typical castle set. Any sets which add to the overall medieval world of LEGO Castle are beneficial. Plus this one has a cool sail and excellent figures. I would disaggree that it is the best army builder because you cant do much with all the boat hulls if you buy multiple copies. Minifigure packs work better or smaller sets like 6009.

Ben E.