Weekly Set Review: Sea Serpent

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Silent Arrow
Villein

Post by Silent Arrow »

An awesome set indeed.... Beautiful design and good selection of colors....
But I disagree that the figures are excellent. I never liked the gray leggings, and three of the figures have them... Especially the black falcons with gray leggings and gray helmets (the archer) are ugly....But this is a minor weakness in an impressive set.....
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

I always liked this set, though as a child I could never figure out how the black knights related to the falcons; some sort of anti-crusader joint venture perhaps?

God Bless,

Nathan
howie
Serf

Post by howie »

I think this is a pretty cool set. I love the way the ship is built. And it comes with Black Knight's AND Black Falcons, that's always a plus. Althought i was quite small when most of these sets came out and never had a chance to get one, i'll always keep my eyes open for one of these.

howie-
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Finally a set I onced owned! As said, A very awesome set! Love all the figs., sail, and I still have the hull and fortiacation pieces, from the original.

Dave
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

Man, I remember drooling over this set while looking at the LEGO books and magazines. I must have asked my mom a 100 times if I could buy this set.

I finally got the parts for it in a box of LEGO I bought from Ebay.

Great set, 5/10

LR
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I have two at least partial copies of this set that came in two separate lots I obtained in the past couple years. I should build one of them sometime.

This looks like a nice set. Once again showing the glory of the old days when the $20 sets included much more than two minifigs.

Sadly, this was the last Black Falcon set, and I never picked it up because my dark age was beginning.

I saw an MISB copy of this set go on eBay for almost $50 on Friday, so this set certainly has it's share of fans.

TLC once again demonstrated their inability to remain consistent within their own product lines, especially where Black Falcons are concerned. Ah well.

This is the fourth and last boat TLC ever produced if my memory is correct. I guess medieval boats as a sub-theme isn't very popular. (Just like the boats in WarCraft II did not return in WarCraft III.)

Despite it's flaws, this was still a great set due to the number of figs and the uniqueness of it.

9/10
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Croaker
Serf

Post by Croaker »

This is the first set I purchased in bulk. I remember getting some as cheap as $9 at the time. I still have at least 3 of these ships left unopened. It is a great source of knights and a good model on its own.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Thank you for the scans Cm2. I appreciate it very much. This means I will have to update a few archive pages ;) If anyone else has older shop at home catalogs and would like to scan them for archive purposes, please shoot me a pm or email ( ellermann@gmail.com ) Thanks!

Ben E
CC Sets Admin
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Chris, thanks alot for the scanning, great to see them

:D
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Post by jwcbigdog »

Finally, a set that I actually own!!!

I have always really liked this one, great playability, especially with some of the other possibilities. You can take those blue turret pieces and make a nice little tower for the crew of your ship to assault if you want, or just build according to the directions and still have a great model. Great figs, great weapons, great design, and very unique. I have to give it a 10/10.

Looking at that catalog scan is a little sad, you have some great sets in the first link, then the downfall begins with the next. Thanks for the memories Cm2.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

WOW...

Look at those prices!!

>sigh<

Anyway... cool scans ~ brings back memories! Really cool to see that again.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

It's one of the best. I meen looka at the design, the accesories and let's not forget the fig count.

It's great!

Still looking for that Black Knight harbour though;)

joel.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
LusiferSam
Peasant

Post by LusiferSam »

Over all I think this is a good set. The figure count is good and I like the mini figures that come with it. The design of the ship leaves something to be desired. As a kid I have Black Falcon and the Black Knights fighting together against the forestmen or lion knights. And this set only reinforced that idea.
Teherean
Steward

Re: Weekly Set Review: Sea Serpent

Post by Teherean »

Wonderful set It once formed the beginning of my Black Falcon collection. Great boat design as well. Much better than with the prefab boat pieces of current sets.
10/10. great price, pieces and figs.
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]