Viking Wishlist

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

LEGOFREAK wrote:
doctorsparkles wrote: Score! I would much prefer mythology to history in this instance. Just think, you can't have Norse mythology without Thor, and you can't have Thor without his hammer, Mjollnir (anyone know how to pronounce that?). .
muh yoll nir (I think :D)

anyways, me too! I totally want to see giants and gods and big freakin hammers and flying horses and a rainbow bridge - I have a big wolf to tie up under it. :D
I have heard pronouced ma-jol-nir.

I would like to see a knorr(4 man long ship)
A set with a viking hoard(alot of gold)
A set with a sea serpent and a viking guy to slay it.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

LEGOFREAK wrote:
doctorsparkles wrote: Score! I would much prefer mythology to history in this instance. Just think, you can't have Norse mythology without Thor, and you can't have Thor without his hammer, Mjollnir (anyone know how to pronounce that?). .
I think that is correct. I had found a pronunciation similar, but I wanted a second opinion.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

LEGOFREAK wrote:A motte and bailey castle. :D
While not traditionally associated with Vikings per se, it would be a pretty cool way to make a wooden fort for them to attack.

I agree totally!!!!!! I can see it now...... Round motte..... a bridge to the bailey..... some nice peaceful houses....... and a hourd of Vikings attacking!!!!! :twisted:

Dave
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

When they weren't busy raiding, they were mainly agrarian (remember the cows, pigs and chickens thread? :D ) and fishermen/hunters, so a set or two to reflect that. Female figs. Cool figs with nice armour...like the old "scale mail" torsoes, as an example, in copious quantities, the fig packs are an EXCELLENT idea.

Even though I am pretty sure this line is already designed, it still would be nice as it is developed.

Thank you, LEGO, BTW. With this (Vikings) I no longer care about the colour change....
Troy T. Moore
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

TheOrk wrote:
LEGOFREAK wrote:

anyways, me too! I totally want to see giants and gods and big freakin hammers and flying horses and a rainbow bridge - I have a big wolf to tie up under it. :D

I would like to see a knorr(4 man long ship)
A set with a viking hoard(alot of gold)
A set with a sea serpent and a viking guy to slay it.
Well in the Norse mythologi (i should know) there is a giant sea serpent in a lake and thor hits it in the head whit his hammer

i gtg now ut i migth find out more possibilities for sets afterwards or tomorrow

Erik
Umgarla
Laborer

Post by Umgarla »

erikut wrote:
TheOrk wrote:
LEGOFREAK wrote: muh yoll nir (I think :D)

Perhaps I should help a bit here...

The hammer of Thor is called Mjølner... Ø is pronounced like the french "eau" I think... :D
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=115690]"Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?"[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

The wish list seems a bit futile at this point since it seems there are five definite sets based on mythology. Which means you are going to get cliches and not historical accuracy. Horned helmets (I could swear there is a winged helmet, too, in the blurry photo, but that's risking blindness to look at any longer). I would suspect the standard Castle sword - it wouldn't be that far off by LEGO standards. It should trigger a run on Red Bean's Viking spectacle helmet and Blasterman's Viking sword. :D

Anyway, I'll still be happy to see Vikings ragardless, since I'm not a huge fan of the Jellybean Knights. I hope there are some nice torso prints. I figure the helemts will have have detachable horns/wings, so I that I can have a choice on their appearance. Some ravens would be cool. It would be nice if the (alleged) fortress is wooden and not stone.

Mjolnir: myôl'nir. (the ô is pronounced like the "a" in fall or small, so I suppose it might be visually easier to list it as myall'nir). These are english renditions, so ethnic Vikings feel free to laugh. :D
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well said Two-Tonic. I personally think that these Vikings and all the monsters that come with it are ok. The design may be unhistoric and crappy, but hey they are a Viking of some kind. And there are some usefull pieces here.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

Sir Vincent wrote:A Nidhogg...or however you spell it...
LEGOwned...they are going to make one... :twisted:
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

In swedish its "Mjölner". If any one knows fonetic noting it is something like [mjø:lnεr]

Any way, I do'nt think they could use the norse gods as minifigs, at least not the names, would'nt they have to be copyrighted? I do'nt know if I want LEGO to have the rights to my countrys' cultural heritage':wink:'

As a nice detail, I would like to see stickers with runes on them, to make rune stones, or maybe some of you sticker buffs could take care of that soon as the sets are out?':D:'

JOEL.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

kajo163 wrote:Any way, I do'nt think they could use the norse gods as minifigs, at least not the names, would'nt they have to be copyrighted? I do'nt know if I want LEGO to have the rights to my countrys' cultural heritage.
Well, if there are rights to be obtained, they're already owned by Marvel comics (Thor and Loki, among others, are major players in the Marvel Universe). I doubt that the Norse pantheon is copywritten in any way though. At most, individual likenesses can be copywritten, in which case LEGO wouldn't be able to take Marvel's Thor character and make him into a minifig. They would be able to create their own Thor likeness, however.
Similarly, Hercules (a figure in Greek mythology, obviously) is used by DC Comics, Marvel Comics and Disney, and has been featured in countless live-action t.v. shows and films. This shows that no one can own the rights to a mythological figure.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

kajo163 wrote:In swedish its "Mjölner". If any one knows fonetic noting it is something like [mjø:lnεr]

Any way, I do'nt think they could use the norse gods as minifigs, at least not the names, would'nt they have to be copyrighted? I do'nt know if I want LEGO to have the rights to my countrys' cultural heritage':wink:'

JOEL.
I don't think that this is a problem. Under current copyright laws, a copyright is not indefinite. As far as I understand, a copyright only lasts for the span of the creator's life, and then for an additional 50 years (I believe that US legislation has extended this protection to 75 years though). After that, the copyright expires, and the work falls into the public domain. All ancient mythology would fall into this category. This means that names like Thor, or Loki could probably be used by Lego.

Marvel comics and others may create characters based on a certain mythology, but the copyright only covers aspects which are unique to the Marvel creation. As long as Lego doesn't interfere with an existing (and thus contemporary) copyright, they are free to use any of the characters or gods featured in Norse mythology.

Later.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

kajo163 wrote:Any way, I do'nt think they could use the norse gods as minifigs, at least not the names, would'nt they have to be copyrighted? I do'nt know if I want LEGO to have the rights to my countrys' cultural heritage':wink:'
Quite apart from the totally valid and legal arguement put forth by Ben, it should also be noted that the Norse mythology is common to all the Scandinavian countries, Denmark included.

So they really have as much claim to it as the Swedes, Norweigans, and Icelanders. And LEGO is a Danish company....
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Formendacil wrote:
kajo163 wrote:Any way, I do'nt think they could use the norse gods as minifigs, at least not the names, would'nt they have to be copyrighted? I do'nt know if I want LEGO to have the rights to my countrys' cultural heritage':wink:'
Quite apart from the totally valid and legal arguement put forth by Ben, it should also be noted that the Norse mythology is common to all the Scandinavian countries, Denmark included.

So they really have as much claim to it as the Swedes, Norweigans, and Icelanders. And LEGO is a Danish company....
I think the heritage argument is a bit silly, actually. It doesn't really matter where Lego was incorporated. If Lego was incorporated in Germany, France or the United States, they would be just as entitled to use Norse legend as any Scandinavian Company.

The simple fact is that ancient mythology has fallen into public domain. There is no ownership in these stories. Geography doesn't give you any particular advantage or dissadvantage when it comes to incorporating certain myths into your product line.

This is all getting a bit off topic really, so I'm going to finish by asking lego to continue this line in the future. I'm pleased with what we have so far, and look forward to even more Viking lego in the future!

Later.
Darth Duck
Villein

Post by Darth Duck »

Some English-style buildings for vikings to attack would greatly enhance playability, especially a fortified church. Perhaps they could bring back one of the classic factions to serve as guards / defenders.
This idea I like. Maybe next year (There had better be a next year) they could have a few sets move away from the "Mythology" side and give some LEGO people for them to fight, like maybe the Crusaders? (Not a truely historical fraction for them to fight, but it would still be cool)
A man walks into a bar....

OUCH!