Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's Hideout

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's Hideout

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week's set is 6054 Forestmen's Hideout.

Forestmen’s Hideout, the second Forestmen sub-theme set, was released in 1988. It is an opening tree that includes a tree house area, two forestmen, an archery target, smaller trees, and accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

This set was one of the few Forestmen sets I picked up. Even though it arrived on shelves in my first dark age. The barrel, shields, archery target, plethora of weapons and the green vine all made it hard to resist. Not quite as laden with figs as the Camoflaged Outpost, that may have been one of its few drawbacks. That and the blue hinged roof that would make it far too easily seen by the Sheriff and his men. :wink:
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Neverroads
Serf

Post by Neverroads »

My most favourite set LEGO has ever made... it's in 3d (you can view it all around),it looks realistic, it has cool minifigs, great parts and lot's of playabilty... in short, one of the best sets ever released.

Casper
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

6054 Forestmen's Hideout is one of the best looking sets Lego produced. The shield they introduced with this set are very cool too. But, my only complaint about this set, is the lack of minifigs. They should had put 2 more minifigs. They put 6 minifigs in 6066 :) , but they put 2 for 6054 :(.

However, it doen't affect much the great quality of this nice set. It's a Lego Classic, definitely. :wink:
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

This is a great Lego set. Conceptually, it's a large dark tree that has a secret entrance to a small hideout, and there are places to fire arrows from. The tree, when closed, looks good from all sides. It comes with a nice assortment of accessories such as vines, weapons, barrel, target, etc. However, I think Camouflaged Outpost (6066) is much better than this.
The Wolfpack
Gong Farmer

Post by The Wolfpack »

If lego had a list of the 7 Lego Wonders of the Castle theme, this item, in my book, this piece would be in it. What it lacked in minifigs it made up in design. This and the Camouflaged Outpost (6066) inspired Lego fans to create their own MOCs even far better than Lego's Knight's Kingdom ever could be. This set and/or Camouflaged Outpost should be made into a legend. Simple as that :P
"I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country" -- Nathan Hale

Long live the Wolfpack
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I just have to say one thing. I think the name was poorly chosen. I mean, it's not much of a hideout. Like the King's men weren't going to investigate a large stone structure with a blue roof built into the top of a tree, with two foresment shields sticking out of it. :roll: :D

It's more of an outpost or sentry tower.

Aside from that I think it's one of the greatest LEGO sets ever.

--Anthony
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Forestmen's Hideout was one of my very favorite childhood sets. I enjoyed the fact that the set was a tree with interiors. The minifigures and accessories such as vines, the barrel, and the target were very cool. This is a definite must have set for a castle fan!

Ben
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

For me 6054 ("Baumhöhle" mit Robin Hood und Wachtposten) was the very first Forestmen I got. In Germany the complete Robin Hood line started in 1988 (6066 hadn't been available already in 1987 here), so when i took a look at that year's catalogue I was like "must have!" And I got 6054 for my birthday (and with that I was the first of my friends who had a Robin Hood, because their birthdays are later in the year. :-) )

So, in any case, my judgement of this set cannot be objective. It just was too great back then. First green minifigs, first foliage, first barrel! Fine tree-look but still beautiful and colourful with this blue roof. Those Forestmen shields have been very precious during my childhood.
I still wondered why for heaven's sake all of those secret hideouts have been "camouflaged" with bright red flags?

Today 6054 is still a beautiful set for me. Though I think there should be even more foliage parts attached (some branches are empty). I do not complain about the set having just to minifigs. It's a hideout, and both men can hide in this tree. More men wouldn't fit.

Bye
Jojo

Last edited by Jojo on Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wolfpack Boss
Freeman

10/10

Post by The Wolfpack Boss »

Not only is it a perfectly good fort for the Forestmen, it's yet another tree for anyone's Forestmen forest display. Couple that with Camoflaged Outpost and River Fortress, and build a few dozen 'leaf trees' and you've got a pretty sweet layout. The hideout also provides quite a few castle building parts, weapons, and while it only has two figs, who wants an over-abundance of forestmen bandits anyway? It's not like they're an army of knights.
Harbourmaster's Office
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/4033675 ... 8cb1_t.jpg[/img]
(More at Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/8273684@N02/4033675910/[/url])
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

I have been trying to get this set, but to no avail. :(
I give it a 10/10
ALan
good times
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Wow, talk about dredging up old threads. Anyway I'd have to give it a 9.5/10. Only thing that would make it better would have been to make it bigger. Very cool set. Would make a great legend, even in the new grey.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
ed_dotcom
Laborer

Post by ed_dotcom »

I didn't use to post on here, so I missed this one the first go-around. So here goes...

This set is the first LEGO set I ever got. It will always hold a special place in my heart because of that fact. I believe it to be a wonderful set, an regardless of the lack of figures, I would give it a 10/10. I personally own six of these sets, and I would love more. Coupled with the River Fortress (which was the second LEGO set I ever got) and the Forestmens Hideout, it does make a nice little set up.

So there it is, 10/10.

Life is Good.
i am ed & i'm a LEGOholic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=edeevo]Bricklink Store.[/url]
[url=http://shop.ebay.com/edeevo/m.html?_nkw=&_a ... ksid=p3686]eBay.[/url]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I asked Ben to review this set and it seems he already did that
so for my review (better late then never):

Very nice set, on of my top10 ones. Of course more then 2 minifigs would have been nice and it was the only reason I bought first 6066 and bought 6054 only a year later. It got some unique and nice hideout, some parts are unique for 1988 when this set was released like the shileds, the green whip, the target, the berrel etc.

I very much like this set and it fits perfect with 6066. Because it's a set that really not heavy in gray, I think it can be easily be the next LEGEND set and it really deserve it.

Final grade: at least 12/10 if not even more... :lol:
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

SavaTheAggie wrote:I just have to say one thing. I think the name was poorly chosen. I mean, it's not much of a hideout. Like the King's men weren't going to investigate a large stone structure with a blue roof built into the top of a tree, with two foresment shields sticking out of it. :roll: :D

It's more of an outpost or sentry tower.

Aside from that I think it's one of the greatest LEGO sets ever.

--Anthony
I must agree with Sava and many others on this one. I don't have the set. But Sava is right. The blue roof,Shields sticking out are definintily not in place for a hideout. I will give it a 10/10 though. How many kids are gonna care that the roof's blue? I also wonder why legos has black trees. Just a wonder :wink:
Space rocks.