More Historical sets!

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I am sooooo way ahead of Lego in the Ancients Theme department! :lol:

1- Hsia (China)
2- Yayoi (Japan)
3- Koguryo (Korea)
4- Mongolia
5- Kazakhstan
6- Scythia
7- Sibirsky (Siberia)
8- Medes (Persia)
9- Chaldea (Babylon)
10- Ashur (Assyria)
11- Tyre (Phoenicians)
12- Judea (ancient Israel)
13- Egypt
14- Libya
15- Rome
16- Eturia (Etruscans)
17- Hellas (Greece)
18- Phrygia (Troy)
19- Hattusas (Hittites)
20- Iberia (ancient Spain & Portugal)
21- Celts
22- Norse (Vikings which will be played by actual vikings)
23- India
24- Siam (Thailand)
25- Maori
26- Inca
27- Maya
28- Souix
29- Bantu (African tribe)
30- Saba (Arabia)

and two mythical civilizations...
31- Atlantis
32- Kahilawayan
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

The problem with historical sets is that TLC, with good reason, doesn't want to offend anyone. Most of the ancient civilizations we would love to build a LEGO army out of were brutal, violent, and depraved, even the advanced ones like Greece and Rome. The vast majority of the population would accept Mongol LEGO sets, but there would always be dissenters. LEGO is a huge company, so it's best to avoid conflict with any part of the public, no matter how strange their argument may seem. Keep in mind that many of the parents who buy LEGO sets for their children do so because they consider more mainstream toys to be too violent. How would we make Mongol LEGO sets without pyramids of heads, or villagers to slaughter? It wouldn't work.
Farithdir
Villein

Post by Farithdir »

What if the sets were to be used as a tool for historical education?

"Now Children, observe as I brutally tear the limbs off of these peasants...."

Seriously, the idea must have some merit.
The Brick Lord
Villein

JPinoy

Post by The Brick Lord »

:shock: Very impressive! Do you have all of those civilizations made at once, or do you take one civ apart to build another? Or something else?
The Brick Lord
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

They actually evovled from my Castle theme. I just went and thought that Castles and medieval armies weren't big enough. So what time period had bigger armies and bigger fortified stuctures? The ancient era with fortified city-states, big armies with well uniformed troops.

So I just converted Castle to Ancient.

Actually my whole theme revolves around the Kahilawayans, who are refered to by the other younger civilizations as the "Ancients". Only the Atlanteans calls them by their real name as those two are the oldest civilizations with the Kahilawayans pre-dating Atlantis.

I formed each one of them whenever new LEGO-made themes would come out and if I found a use for a particular torso piece as a soldier.

--------
The problem with historical sets is that TLC, with good reason, doesn't want to offend anyone. Most of the ancient civilizations we would love to build a LEGO army out of were brutal, violent, and depraved, even the advanced ones like Greece and Rome. The vast majority of the population would accept Mongol LEGO sets, but there would always be dissenters. LEGO is a huge company, so it's best to avoid conflict with any part of the public, no matter how strange their argument may seem. Keep in mind that many of the parents who buy LEGO sets for their children do so because they consider more mainstream toys to be too violent. How would we make Mongol LEGO sets without pyramids of heads, or villagers to slaughter? It wouldn't work.
I think someone here did not notice the VIKINGS theme that Lego is coming out with. Last I heard the Vikings weren't gentle.... :P But Lego avoided that with using mythic Norse beasts.

I think Lego could also avoid Mongols having to have mountains of skulls. As they avoided the Crusaders having to fight Arabs/Muslims.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

JPinoy wrote:I think someone here did not notice the VIKINGS theme that Lego is coming out with. Last I heard the Vikings weren't gentle.... :P But Lego avoided that with using mythic Norse beasts.

I think Lego could also avoid Mongols having to have mountains of skulls. As they avoided the Crusaders having to fight Arabs/Muslims.
That's a really good point, especially with the Crusaders. I guess TLC has handled this sort of thing before. The real problem now is that the Greeks and Persians didn't have neon spinning saw catapults and other things that LEGO thinks interests kids.
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

"Now Children, observe as I brutally tear the limbs off of these peasants...."
Man I would of enjoyed school more if they taught lessons using this type of teaching technique!
I think someone here did not notice the VIKINGS theme that Lego is coming out with. Last I heard the Vikings weren't gentle.... But Lego avoided that with using mythic Norse beasts.
I know when I get my Vikings latter this year, they won't be fighting it out with mythic beasts, they'll be pillaging the lego town I plan to construct & making off with the loot & kidnapping the towns folk!!!

Some of the lego civilization ideas sound pretty cool!
It would be neat to see some lego Romans & in that case lego could create a Roman Colisseum set with chariot racers, gladiators etc.[/quote]
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Farithdir
Villein

Post by Farithdir »

The sad thing is that they actually COULD teach like that and interest kids enough for them to actually LEARN something, but our education system is so messed up.....oh never mind, thats not what this topic is about.

Y'know what I want? I want a Lego Vatican! Not just historical, but modern. Think of the potential! Take the pope on a ride in the new Popemobile set! Experience the beauty of Saint Peters Basilica!

But there is a darker side as well....

What happens when some kid tears of John Pauls head and sticks it on Darth Vadar? I just don't see most Orthodox Catholics appreciating that :wink:

Some Gothic Cathedrals would be nice too(a TON of potential for useful MOC peices there also). They're nearly impossible to build with the current selection of peices. And I'd love having a lego notre dame.