AFOL Idea Book

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!

Should there be a AFOL Idea Book?

Yes, I love Idea Books
91%
No, I'm happy with current online content
9%

Total votes: 33

Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

AFOL Idea Book

Post by Blueandwhite »

Isn't it time that LEGO produced another Idea Book?

I mean a real idea book, filled with MOCs created by some of the most tallented AFOLs in the community. In fact, I wouldn't mind a book that celebrated and documented the various MOCs we see displayed by various LUGs. There are so many talented builders, yet there has never been any real documentation of their work. Often, great MOCs are hampered by amatuer photography. I would really love to see these MOCs properly photographed, and reproduced in print.

What do you think?

Later.
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

yea that would be pretty cool. though online is fine, it would be a really cool idea.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I'd like to see an AFOL Idea Book. I don't always have access to my comp to look for ideas.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

is there any reason why we couldnt come up with it on our own? like for instance, we all come up with ideas in ldraw or whatever, or get pics or something and then put them onto a CD? If I had a CD burner I'd be willing to do it, and let people pay for the CD and shipping costs (which I can't imagine would be much)...

:)
Umgarla
Laborer

Post by Umgarla »

If they are going to make a new idea book, then they'd probably do like the other idea books: Make MOCs using only bricks from the official sets...
But if you could get tlc to make a book with AFOL MOCs then it should be named something else than "idea books" to avoid confusion... :)
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=115690]"Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?"[/url]
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Umgarla wrote:But if you could get tlc to make a book with AFOL MOCs then it should be named something else than "idea books" to avoid confusion... :)
I love to play on words, so I would get a kick out of calling it:
"What an AFOL Idea!"

I'm serious! In a fun kinda way.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I think they should call it...

"Masterful Creations"
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
adm_matthew
Journeyman

Post by adm_matthew »

I think if LEGO company produced a guidebook they should be given this and next years stuff in like a big box, and can only use those parts from those sets/themes...

I always hated how I couldn't build any of the stuff out of my idea books...

*fond memories of staring at the '89 idea book for days and days*
~ Matthew Taylor
[url=http://galacticbrick.com/arda][img]http://galacticbrick.com/lotr/new-site/banner-main.png[/img][/url]

The Adm is for Admiral not ADAM! :-p
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

LEGOFREAK wrote:is there any reason why we couldnt come up with it on our own? like for instance, we all come up with ideas in ldraw or whatever, or get pics or something and then put them onto a CD? If I had a CD burner I'd be willing to do it, and let people pay for the CD and shipping costs (which I can't imagine would be much)...
Or for an extra cost, the pages could be printed out and sent in a book form. The reason I say this is because if I have access to a computer, I have access to the internet, so having it on a disk is kind of pointless.
footsteps wrote:I love to play on words, so I would get a kick out of calling it:
"What an AFOL Idea!"
I'm thinking that now any title besides yours would be a great disappointment.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

adm_matthew wrote:I think if LEGO company produced a guidebook they should be given this and next years stuff in like a big box, and can only use those parts from those sets/themes...

I always hated how I couldn't build any of the stuff out of my idea books...

*fond memories of staring at the '89 idea book for days and days*
That's funny; the fact that I never had the pieces for most of the models in the idea books never bothered me. I found inspiration from looking at models that were (at the time) far beyond my paltry means. This encouraged me to continue building! I would love a book that could bring back that feeling now that I'm an adult.

I think that its unfortunate that many AFOLs who are not part of the online community miss out on some of the amazing MOCs that are currently being produced. A book would be a great way to reach out to these otherwise unnoticed fans. It would also eliminate the difficulty of searching through the countless average creations on brickshelf for the few true jems.

Still, I can still dream...

Later.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

doctorsparkles wrote:
footsteps wrote:I love to play on words, so I would get a kick out of calling it:
"What an AFOL Idea!"
I'm thinking that now any title besides yours would be a great disappointment.
Thanks for the compliment. On further reflection I think a better rendition would be:
"That's an AFOL Idea!"

or

"Here's an AFOL Idea!"

Anyway, you get the idea (pun unintended :D ). Words are fun.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

What I liked about the idea books is that they have a selection of models and INSTRUCTIONS on building them. Now, I guess BIP tries but falls short because it does not combine the models into scenes that include other non-instructioned (is that a word) models in PHOTOGRAPHS.

Now, if we could collect a bunch of instructions AND decent photos of the built models grouped together we could create a .pdf "book" which could be sold on www.cafepress.com as a fundraiser to support Classic-Castle .Com (bandwidth, contest prizes) and/or downloadable for people to print themselves or look at online.

The hard part would be bringing different models together for the photo shoots. That could probably be overcome by coordinating photo shoots at brick conventions but would sure be a headache if too many people wanted to contribute.
Farithdir
Villein

Post by Farithdir »

Personally I think the best title would be....

"Gone AFOL"

and then about here put a subtitle

Get it? AFOL=AWOL? Like in the army? Is that not hilarious?

Althogh I like your's too.

The hard part would be bringing different models together for the photo shoots.
Actually, you could just have all the photos sent to one person here with a good photo editing program to work on layout, and then CC could collect donations to publish through somethign like Trafford (If anyone wants to look into this check out www.trafford.com)