Weekly Set Review: Witch's Windship

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Witch's Windship

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6037 Witch’s Windship.

Witch’s Windship, released in 1997, is a dragon powered flying ship for Willa the Witch. It has a crystal ball, movable halberd pinchers, accessories, and tail lights.

Last edited by architect on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Dragon Master

Post by The Dragon Master »

Crap...like most of the Fright Knights line. The witch has the ugliest face of all time and the set itself is stupid. The wings aren't even attached to the dragon! This set is awful. I used to have this set, but I took it apart shortly after I got it. If they rereleased this set I would pay no more than $5, and thats only becuase of the dragon. To put it simpl, this set stinks.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

It's the worst (Castle) set they ever did. If it didn't come with four light grey 1x2 bricks it would be even worse :-)
And did you ever try to dedust this ugly black molded piece?

Bye
Jojo

David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I'm agree too. This is the ugliest Lego Castle Set. This is the one of the useless too. I buyed it just for the Dragon, but was very deceived. As architect said, the wing are not attached to Dragon !!! Stupid.

Can you build an alterbative set with this ? And what can you do with the black molded piece ? Nothing. And I tried.

This set was vote 39/100 on lugnet. This is the worst vote of the Castle Sets.

Please Lego don't put us sets like this again. :cry:
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

a weird set at best...

I think this is where we begin to see the missuse of the halberd that is such a hallmark of latter Castle sets.

I mean, if one were to make a witch's airship that was powered by a flying dragon.. would halberd pinchers be a feature you'd just have to include? I mean, what would you use them for? Between a witch and dragon, there should be nothing this airship couldn't handle.. certainly nothing that halberd pinchers would be useful in dealing with...

-lenstu
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
The Dragon Master

Post by The Dragon Master »

What exactly are halberd pinchers. Are they those little clips used to hold things in place?
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

no, Halberd are those really big battle axes. Pinchers refers to how they;re set up on the windship - they pinch (like scissors).
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Removing dust from those pieces was a pain in the (expletive deleted). Aside from that it took 6 months for me to get rid of them on bricklink. Finally an Alpha Team fan picked them up from me. The set had two uses, a few parts as well as a dragon and as a shining example of how a bad idea can become reality.
Let's pray we never see a re-release.
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

:x Junk!!!! I did not waste one red cent on that useless set. If there was an emoticon for vomiting I would place several here!! :wink:
Troy T. Moore
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I do not own this set. I guess this is a classic example of a set using too many large pieces. I do think that this set is creative and some children may like it. However, Witch's Windship crosses a line of being more fantasy than castle, and that is bad.

Ben
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Worst castle set ever.

Bruce
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

No surprise that this thread hasn't been dug up yet... I imagine that any more additions to this thread will be rather negative with regards to the set design.

Therefore, in light of the extreme problems associated with the set, I will focus only on the good parts. Namely, these are the dragon (the only green dragon in a $10.00 or less set, that I am aware of), and a couple of halberds (although useless in the context of their use in the set). Other than that, there is really nothing to recommend the set.

Parts: 2/10
Playability: 7/10
Figs/Accessories: 1.5/10
Design (then): 1/10
Design (now): 1/10
Nostalgia: 3/10

Overall Score: 2.58/10
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

I remember seeing this set in the store, stopping, and then turning around to stare at it for a long while. This is when I realized that TLC had really gone over the deep end. There's no coming back from Witch's Windship. There's a line to be crossed, and that line involves halberd pincers and dragons carrying large premolded buckets. Giving this set a score is really against my principles, but in the interest of staying on topic, 0/10.
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

When I was little, I defended the Fright Knight sets, and invented reasons for them to be bought(hey, it could work!) but this set was never defended.

+
+Dragon
+Ship-things

-
-Willa
-Useless piece- what can you use it for if your a castle fanatic?
-Not even realistic for fantasy world
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

I loved the Fright Knights sets when I was six.... Of course, that was before I realized anything existed other than them, the Royal Knights, and the Dragon Masters. As a result, I ended up getting this set. It's *cough* interesting enough.... I like the rope pieces, considering they come in handy for ships. I can live with the big bucket piece, too. I've actually found a good castle use for it, and will begin work on it during the summer. As for Willa: She can melt in her ABS misery, for all I care.

1/5
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]