Weekly Set Review: Royal King

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

for those who sees this set as useless...

keep in mind
LEGO create sets for kids not for people who collect sets for 20 years...

just think of a 10 year old who don't have a lot of money and just wanted a king to his kingdom and can't afford to buy the castle...

in 1995 3 new sets were created 6090, 6044 and 6008 that had the king. 6008 is the cheapest of course, which included the crown and the chrome sword - both new parts that never existed in the past. It was the first set I bought (that I could easily afford to buy) exactly when I returned from my dark age period. I had already a kingdom and I really wanted a king. It just as good as sets 6009, 6007 or 6021. It fits the actuall kingdom and it's cheap to afford if you want to refresh your kingdom without speanding alot of money.

And in this note I'd like to add that the RK kingdom (which I know no one likes but me) celebrating 10 years :) I don't want to start an argue about it but in my personal opinion it was the best kingdom of the 90's.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Webrain wrote: And in this note I'd like to add that the RK kingdom (which I know no one likes but me) celebrating 10 years :) I don't want to start an argue about it but in my personal opinion it was the best kingdom of the 90's.
Me and Robin Hood and acouple others like them too :P
Sir Drake
Archer

Post by Sir Drake »

How many kings do you need?
If you have the entire Rk-line, than you have like 2kings, right? Well, the ancient Spartans had 2 kings two, the one needed to check on the other and if one of them did something wrong, than the other needed to say that to the Ephores(hope it's spelled right).

Back to the point, this king is the lesser one of the two, I mean c'mon TLC, no barding? no plume? no cape? This is a great starter set, buy a whole bunch of 'em and you can create a Rk-cavalry. But the crown is kinda stupid, it's more like a warrior-crown than a king-crown. But hey, it is designed for kids, so I'll give a:

6.5/10
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

I also intend to defend this set...

I am probably one of the only people who don't own at least one of these kings, and I'd love to. The head would be great to add some variety to my regular smilies; and I love his torso. You could probably get these pretty cheap, so this would be a great army builder if you have enough helmets and weapons to give them some variety.

7/10
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

I'm also in favour of this set. Those crowns may not be so usefull if you get too many, but the rest of the pieces can be put to good use no matter the circumstances.

By the way "Royal King" what kind of stupid name for a set is that?

Joel.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Well, he's a king, and he's therefore royal. I see no problem with that. :lol:

Anyway, it's a great little set. And, all those crowns look really spectacular all piled up in a hoard. :shock:
st1920
Peasant

Post by st1920 »

My grandmother gave me this set a few years ago. I liked the set much back then, but now I see nothing special in this set. I give it a 6/10
Nicholas
Gong Farmer

Post by Nicholas »

apart from the crown and the the crome sword, I kind of like this set. he makes a great cavalryman if you replace the crown with something else, or a herold.

as to the quetion of how many kings you need, there is many possebillities, how about this- King Canute is a Danish king but he also rules Danelaw (Danish holdings in England) and Norway, so he sits in Danelaw, his son Magnus rules Denmark in his stead and Norway is also ruled by proxy by a guy called Harold, all are referred to as King
or take Narnia, a High King ruling with his brother and sisters.
Regeonal king that payed alliegance to a high king or emperor was not exactly rare

Anyway there is little or no playabillity in this set, however as mentioned before this set is most likely ment a sorce for children to get there hands on a king (sword and crown) without having to pay a fortune.
Kings come and kings go, but one thing remains the same, and that is Me.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I can understand having a standalone king as a set if the only other way to get a king would have been in the large and expensive 6090 set. However, a king was also available in the much smaller King's Carriage set along with several soldiers. That makes this set pointless, as the Carriage was not very expensive.

I wouldn't have liked this in a minifig pack either, as it would make 1 fig in every pack useless. Think of the Pirate line with the Captain Redbeard fig. They seemed to have included him in almost every set. Instead of having a lot of extra pirates, we had far too many captains! The inclusion of Red Beard in the minifig packs was lunacy.

That said, you didn't HAVE to buy this set, as it was made for the child who wanted to buy a king himself. That is the only saving grace, and not much of one.

3 of 10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Nicholas wrote:as to the quetion of how many kings you need, there is many possebillities, how about this- King Canute is a Danish king but he also rules Danelaw (Danish holdings in England) and Norway, so he sits in Danelaw, his son Magnus rules Denmark in his stead and Norway is also ruled by proxy by a guy called Harold, all are referred to as King
or take Narnia, a High King ruling with his brother and sisters.
Regeonal king that payed alliegance to a high king or emperor was not exactly rare
Hooooboy, it seems that everyone had to answer my question pro or con in this thread. :D

The British Isles was littered with kings at one time, with kings in Kent, Wessex, Essex, Sussex, Northumberland, East Anglia, Mercia, Gwynedd, Powys, and Gwent. This is not an exhaustive list - I'm not even going to attempt the Irish, Scots, various Vikings, Picts, odd islands, etc.

My point was not how many different kings existed in any given location but how many YOU (the LEGO Castle fan) need? Yeah, okay, I can use a few - but not that many of us have (much less need) a 1000 minifigs or more, and even then I rearmed something like 20 King Leos. Many of us beg for minifig packs unburdened by Yet Another Catapult, the purpose being to build up a force (large or small) cheaply. Placing a very specific personality rather than a generic fig limits repeat purchasing. I can toss in all my spare crowns into my gold coin pile to give it some bulk, and I can rearm the kings, but it still would have been better to the average buyer to offer something with a broader appeal. This is not to say that the set doesn't have value, or might appeal to people regardless, just:

How many kings do you need?
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Nicholas
Gong Farmer

Post by Nicholas »

you are right of course, I meant no offence.
my point bieng only that more kings do not have to be a bad thing.
As for me,I only have one king and he does wear a crown, I loathe the bloody thing and the silly oversized crome sword :)
Kings come and kings go, but one thing remains the same, and that is Me.
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

Well, a good king is everywhere at once...

No harm in using a minifig too much if it's a good one.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Nicholas wrote:you are right of course, I meant no offence.
my point bieng only that more kings do not have to be a bad thing.
As for me,I only have one king and he does wear a crown, I loathe the bloody thing and the silly oversized crome sword :)
Utterly no offense taken. I rated the set more on what I think something like that should be, more than what it actually was, but I perfectly understand those that accept it for what it is.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

I am not extemely jazzed about this set for lots of reasons stated in previous messages, but I would still give it a passing grade - 5/10.
Cheers,
SirBert.
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This was the last set from the 60xx number range that found its way into my collection. When I got it there were two dark grey lances in the box.

It's a poor set. It would have been better if the king had a cape and the horse had a barding.
I'm not too fond of chrome swords but they were new then, so I understand why the king carries one. The crown is a bad design. It's not exactly a crown for it has a nose and neck protector, but it's not a good helmet, either, because who would ride into battle with a golden crown on his head? I'm almost sure medieval kings (might they have been royal or not...) didn't wear their crowns 24 hours a day.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill