Weekly Set Review: Majisto's Magical Workshop

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Majisto's Magical Workshop

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6048 Majisto's Magical Workshop.

Majisto's Magical Workshop was released in 1993 for the Dragon Masters. This rock and tree house opens up to show the wizard's work area and fireplace. Majisto, a knight, and various accessories are included.

Last edited by architect on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

This looks like a great set. When it came out the price was reasonable. It comes with some great figs and accesories.
I give it a
8/10
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Where's the beef? I mean door?

6/10

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Hmm... I imagine this set will get trashed by quite a few reviewers because, like most Dragon Master sets, it's really not that realistic and I THINK I remember it having quite a few big pieces... but it is one of the first sets I got after my long, long dark age, so it has a special little place in my collection.

Besides - it has some decent figs and some cool/somewhat unique pieces, so I think it's worth having.

7/10 8)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

I never got it, but it was a good price. It has some good figs.
7/10
Fry_slayer
Steward

Post by Fry_slayer »

You know all these play sets looked a lot bigger when i was a kid :) good set yes but not enough details actually, no doors also which is kinda weird, i have one
6.5/10
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Fryslayer]Brickshelf[/url] | [url=http://brickgamers.blogspot.com/]BrickGamers[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, this was my brother's second-tied-for-third Castle set, so consequently I am familiar with it, although I never owned it. A few things about the set bugged me, such as the overuse of the tower piece for its walls, the lack of a dragon plume on the soldier (he only has the side-plumes), the lack of a door, but in general I've always thought that this was a pretty good-looking set, certainly the best of the Dragon Masters. It had enough of a real cottage feel to it, mixed with its "wizardy" feel, that works perfectly for it. It's not really a set to get multiples of, but it IS possibly the only Dragon Master set I would buy and even consider leaving in its original form.

Parts: 6.5/10
Playability: 7/10
Figs/Accessories: 7.5/10
Design (then): 7.5/10
Design (now): 8.5/10
Nostalgia: 8/10

Overall Score: 7.5/10
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I never owned this set but I always did like it. There are things about it that bother me, such as the lack of a door, but I think it would be a nice rural cottage. Not a bad little set at all.

7 of 10
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
xxbattosaixx
Foot Soldier

Post by xxbattosaixx »

Formendacil wrote:Well, this was my brother's second-tied-for-third Castle set, so consequently I am familiar with it, although I never owned it. A few things about the set bugged me, such as the overuse of the tower piece for its walls, the lack of a dragon plume on the soldier (he only has the side-plumes), the lack of a door, but in general I've always thought that this was a pretty good-looking set, certainly the best of the Dragon Masters. It had enough of a real cottage feel to it, mixed with its "wizardy" feel, that works perfectly for it. It's not really a set to get multiples of, but it IS possibly the only Dragon Master set I would buy and even consider leaving in its original form.

Parts: 6.5/10
Playability: 7/10
Figs/Accessories: 7.5/10
Design (then): 7.5/10
Design (now): 8.5/10
Nostalgia: 8/10

Overall Score: 7.5/10
Lack of Dragon Plume?Doesn't it come on a wheel? :?
- Tom
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Not exactly what I would call perfect - but hey, it's a SHOP! Open air and breezy, but when you consider the general low level of design from the Dragon Masters line (not to mention the hideous Dragon Master figs) this was a bit of a relief. 7/10
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

The design itself is pretty decent and at first glance the set looks kind of cool. I can easily find a place in my kingdom for such a mystery wizaqrd living in a tree cabin. The big downside of this set in my opinion that it doesn't look great from all sides. It looks great on when it closed but when it opens the 2 roofs that are not connected together looks ridicoules. 2 minifigs is ok for this size of set I guess. You get LEGO tridition acc. of goblet/chest/berrel (grow out of it already - every single set??? can't you invent new stuff by now?).
I think overall its a cool set. I bought it only a year ago from BL.

8.5/10
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

This was my third castle set, and for awhile my biggest and only real building. I loved it. While the design is a bit weird, I think there are some explenations. The fact of no door might be there because only magical people can enter and leave. Hence, the no-door. As for the slightly crazy idea of it opening, well, a kid has to be able to get at the stuff inside.

I really liked the inside of it. There is alot of stuff there for just a tiny place. A great amount of detail. Then, you get a fair bit of stuff for such a little place, and two blue dragon sets. A great set.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

It's a nice set. It was the only 1993 castle set I wanted, but I didn't get this set until 2004. If you shop around and have a bit of patience, you can get MISB copies of this shipped to you for about $32.

This is a great parts pack. It comes with a lot of tough to find parts, like 1x3 double inverted slopes, slopes with studs, and inverted 1x2x3 slopes. It looks nice at first glance, until you realize that it has no door.

It is built with a lot of big pieces. Namely, 2 BURPs, and 4 turrets. Despite the presence of these oversized and juniorized parts, they are used very well in this set and aren't too blatantly obvious or distracting at first glance.

Two figures is a bit low for a set in this price range, but the wizard was new and exciting at the time and the dragon soldier is generic and useful. The interior has some nice detail and the construction is solid. This set is worthy of any castle collection.

Design: 6
Parts: 9
Playability: 7

Overall: 7
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

xxbattosaixx wrote:
Formendacil wrote: the lack of a dragon plume on the soldier (he only has the side-plumes),
Lack of Dragon Plume?Doesn't it come on a wheel? :?
There are two wheels of the blue dragon plume set with this set, but the two dragon-plumes are part of the building's decoration.

The soldier just gets a couple of the side-plumes (there's also the extra side plumes from the other set) than a full set of his own.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I like this set. I like those slope pieces used in the roof. Also one of the last chances to get those shutters I like so much. As to the lack of a door, I remember thinking, as a kid, that Majisto must have a teleportation power to be able to get inside. I think the lack of the dragon plume mentioned is the result of using the dragon part on the structure and not the helmet.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]