Weekly Set Review: Night Lord's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

As others have said.....it has many useful parts.
It may be ugly but it's still better than the castle of Morcia.
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I missed out on the fright knight theme. They are weird to me. I guess the set seems good for pieces, but that is probably about it. Overall, its a HORRIBLY ugly design. I feel sorry for it.

It is worse than the Dragon Masters Castle. :shock:
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

whats' wrong with willa the witch?
its' funny if you can bind them to your wall with some chains for cover...
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Not a bad set as far as castle goes. As far as Fright Knights go it is down right beautiful. The design, while not the greatest ever, is ok. It sure beats the other Fright Knight place. The set comes with quite a good piece selection and a very good fig selection. A very good set.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

Not an awesome set, has great pieces and it's an awesome design for Fright Knights. The figs are really nice too.
I think I'd give this a 7/10
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I'm probably in a significant minority here, but I always kind of liked the fright knight guys. I like the witch figure too. She is quite a useful figure (minus the head) especially if you are willing to do a little arm dislocation. See the result here: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Athos ... lantha.jpg

As to the set, it isn't the best set out there, but I like it. It looks very much like an evil wizard/witch tower. And the red windows are nice.

I used to hate the larger plates, but now like having extras of them to do landscaping.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Well, in terms of the fright knights, I've always thought it was a good idea (evil, gothic lego) that somehow didn't make the grade in sets. This castle is the best set of them all, and is kind of neat in someways, but I wonder... if the wind blows reeeaaaallllyyy hard... will the tower fall over? ;-)

I do like fright knights, they were my favorite villans until the scorpians came out, and now I'm still trying to decide.

Jojo put it all best...
In some way it perfectly fits the Dracula-ish feeling about the Batlord theme.
Agreed - this is the cool part about fright knights....
On the other hand it shows the first sign of juniorisation,
Also agreed... which is why we all love Fright Knights best as MOC fodder.

Still, as was said in an earlier post... compared to Morcia, this is better - 6/10 8)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
thebusnamedgak
Serf

Post by thebusnamedgak »

Decent set, but the design sucked. Its got a decent amount of minifigs and some good pieces. Even though I didn't like the design it is one of the better Fright Night sets.

7/10
GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

This castle has to be my favourite. The theme it's in hasn't got many large sets, and has not been expanded by Lego.
Therefore, this castle remains the largest one, and the best set. It has a lot: a huge throne hall with plenty of space for MOCists to have fun, a wonderfully efficient lifting gate, secret entrances and arches, a very tall tower with a closed prison cell, several unoccupied rooms, a crystal ball with a magically appearing skull, and the witch's platform at the top with a telescope.
There is also space for archers on the walls, a catapult, rare minfigs and a dragon, of course.
The whole castle is constructed out of a multitude of custom pieces and accessories.
Pumpkinetics
Villein

Post by Pumpkinetics »

I find the castle to be a useful inner keep that can be put inside 6085, 8877 or even 6059. On its own... well, the holes in the sides sorta detract. But put it up next to the front gate of the above castles, and it can look pretty darn fearsome.
[url=http://da-norvegicus.livejournal.com/tag/ty ... owledgment]This has nothing to do with lego or castle[/url]

Tales of Aramia may update one day.
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Yes, I agree. This castle would serve very well as an inner keep. The throne hall, the side doors... All that does support its suitability for being an inner keep.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Pumpkinetics wrote:I find the castle to be a useful inner keep that can be put inside 6085, 8877 or even 6059. On its own... well, the holes in the sides sorta detract. But put it up next to the front gate of the above castles, and it can look pretty darn fearsome.
Hmm... that idea's not too shabby - funny, although I always viewed this as a keep and not a castle, I never even imagined it as an inner keep (ah well, this is a first sign that I'm getting old :? ). I still think that any keep should at least have door for all it's doorways, but your suggestion is a really good one.

How well does it fit inside of the castles terms of space?
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

I liked this set. More of a tower than a 'castle' - but hey. Sadly, I never got to purchase it. I simply didn't have the money to throw around, at the time, due to other interests (note, I never actually had a Dark Age, though, so there was never a time when LEGO didn't interest me).

I remember really wanting this set to go with all of the other castles I had. Before my unfortunate LEGO Incident that some of you may know about -- I had every Castle TLC ever released except for this one. Quite upsetting.

And it wasn't until about a year ago that I even knew there were places like MCN, Class-Castle, and Bricklink.

So this is a special set to me -- it represents the one 'castle' I never got. I want it just for that reason.

It helps that it's an awesome, if forboding, set.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

True, it's much more of a tower than a castle for defensive purposes. I think of it as the bat lord's residence, with his personal guards. You should really get this set, Damien. It's very much worthy of purchase. It is quite hard to got now, i hardly ever see it for sale on ebay. I don't know about bricklink, I hardly ever have time to browse through all the sites listed there.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

One thing I forgot to mention earlier: I loved the contrast between this set (6097) and 6090, Saxondale Castle.

6090 was a proud, warm castle that was the centre of the Royal King's power, a bastion of hope in the land. With the lion flags, the Royal Knight figs, and the King himself, the set was full of power.

6097, in stark contrast, was a forlorn, cold citadel that was a place of fear and darkness for the Royal Knights. With the bat flags, all the reds and blacks, and the desolate, rocky backgrounds, the set really looked imposing.
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.