LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING!

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING!

Post by footsteps »

Okay, I know the subject line is the equivalent of yelling. But I'm rather pleased and I want to get everyone's attention, so I hope I can be forgiven for excessive exuberance.

Today, 15 February 2004, is my birthday!!! woohoo!!!! :D

As for my age, I can now say without equivocation that I am the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (hence the subject title). If you need help figuring that out, consult Douglas Adams. :)

No Lego for gifts, but I did get a Tupperware-like six drawer storage tower with which to help organize my collection. My NLSO has 'issues' with Lego-creep. :)

Now, to get this message "on topic" - there is a reason why I chose Administration for this post.

This post also qualifies as my 100th on C-C, thereby making me Villein!! It's been a tough week of not posting, especially as there has been a veritable cornucopia of interesting and fascinating threads to which I've wanted to contribute. Well, now I'm unleashed.

So, my question to the Admins is: now that I'm Villein, what's my motivation for continued posting? What comes next? :wink: :wink:

Already there are (I think) two threads tackling this issue, so I'll just add what I hope are some helpful ideas to what has already been contributed.

There are many submissions for ideas (my own flawed list included) of how the 'ranks' should proceed. I'd recommend to the Admins that a compiled list of ranks be vetted by a third party (ie medieval history teacher for example) who would put them in appropriate order. Then the Admins can choose which ones they want to use, and the posting limits to attain them. I like the idea of progressively longer limits for each rank, though I hope that my newly acquired Villein-hood won't be wiped out in any reorganization.

The Admins should retain the special Noble ranks that they have.

I like the idea of attaching special honours on certain people (C-C contest winners for example). But I think that should be separate from posting rank. For example, I believe that in the British system there are honours such as "Order of the Garter" or "Keeper of the Black Mace" (or such other sounding titles). Over time I imagine that some enterprising and gifted individuals could acquire a number of honours. So, the Admins could create and bestow such honours as are appropriate (and you don't even need to create them all now, only as the need arises).

As far as "churning posters", who post only to increase their rank, I don't think there's all that much that can or should be done. If someone gets joy from boosting their rank, let it be so. There's no other benefit that accrues to rank (ie "Hey, you're just a Gong Farmer, I'm Villein, so I'm more important." just won't cut it around here).

So that's my input. Hopefully it's helpful. Ignore anything that isn't.

Oh, and one more very important thing...

According to The Concise Oxford Dictionary, the definition of Villein is:

n. (hist.) Feudal serf, tenant entirely subject to lord or attached to manor.

So, now that I'm Villein, to which lord (Admin????) am I subject? Do I get to choose? Does anyone want my villeinage?? Enquiring minds want to know!

your servant,
Alan

PS In case it was missed in my musings on the rank system, I'm cool with whatever is developed. Just wanted to add my own random thoughts to the process. My participation on C-C is not dependant upon the outcome, so if I've offended I offer my apologies.
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Hey, Happy birthday! I wonder who I'm subject to. If I could pick one, it'd be Ben E.

Mr. D
Troy
King Mnementh the Bronze
King Mnementh the Bronze

Re: LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING!

Post by Troy »

footsteps wrote:So, my question to the Admins is: now that I'm Villein, what's my motivation for continued posting? What comes next? :wink: :wink:
Your motivation to continue posting is the wonderful interaction with the Classic Castle community. Why would you need anything else?

Troy
Visit Troy's Surplus LEGO
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=mnementh
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Right, Troy, this forum is great even without the ranks and I would continue posting even if you took the ranks away.

Mr. D