What does the term 'Castle' really mean?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I would have to agree with Nathan above others on this one... although every post makes a valid point, and others are certainly correct, I like his description because it is broad and flexible, but gives you a good idea of what is being described.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

I dont mean to spam, but I was jsut joking about the gun thing. I pretty much agree with almost everyone here.
-Alan-
good times
VikingLord
Villein

Post by VikingLord »

TwoTonic Knight wrote: The Viking line has no actual castle.
The first "Castles" were made of wood, and as is the Viking "Castle".
Proud fan of Lego Castle 1978-1999 and Vikings
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

"Classic Age
Golden Age
Viking punk
Jelly junk,
still castle Lego to me..."

OK do your best Billy Joel "Still Rock and Roll to Me" imitation to get that.

Some of us still feel the falcons and lions are "new" lines (pops Centrum Silver tablets). For me "castle" is all such related themes regardless of issue date. For the Knights Procession which was my first "system" set up through today, it's all castle. Don't we all have Star Wars torsos on our peasants? Town and space torsos under armor? Many train builders are incorporating castles into their layouts now. Castle is what you want it to be, that's the beauty of our hobby. It really only separates AFOLs into rooms at cons, and keeps out wicked .spacers!
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Jojo
Master

Re: What does the term 'Castle' really mean?

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Sir Kohran wrote:but what sets and themes does Castle actually cover/include?
This question can almost only be answered subjectively.
For example my own Castle-love didn't start before 1984, because before that I wasn't old enough to get the previous Castle sets. Only the grey walls and elaborated accessories of the Black Falcon era appealed to me to suck me in into the world of Castle. Naturally this personal experience doesn't have any impact on what is Castle and what is not Castle. Of course now I consider 375, 383 and 677 "Castle".
Is it just sets with 6 at the beginning of their number code?
This would exclude all those small Valuepacks and US-only sets, as well as the yellow Castle and the Knights' Tournament.
Does it include Ninja? Vikings? KK1 and KK2?
For me it includes Ninja, Vikings, KK1 and - sadly - KK2. Though KK2 is a different case than everything that has been released in the Castle range before.

From 1978 to 1992 the LEGO Castle line was (loosely) based upon the spirit of real castles. Since 1993, when the Dragon Masters appeared, also the magical spirit of real mediaeval legends was taken into account, leading to Dragons, sorcerers, witches, Dracula-esque Batlords. But for al that the LEGO castles still were based upon something that had to do with the real Middle Ages.

All that could also apply to KK2 as well. A king, rightous knights, evil usurpers... That's the classic matter of any chivalric legend. Yet, this motley crew of colourful knights without horses (at least they didn't have many in the first release) and the clumsy war machines don't have the special mediaeval feel to them.
However, there are knights and there are castles, so KK2 is "Castle".

Ninja has Castles and knights, too, only they are called samurai there. Furthermore the main releases of Ninja are in the 60xx number range, the classic Castle number range. So clearly Ninja was LEGO's Castle release for that year, even more so since no other main Castle sets were released. (Any sets that might have been released localised and not announced in the catalogues I don't count here.)

Vikings are based upon both reality and myth. The real vikings appeared during the early Middle Ages on the shores of Europe. And America. Those peculiar mythological creatures they are fighting in the sets are from the Germanic religion and mythology. They have - of course - nothing to do with real men, but it was the gods that had to fight them during the Twilight of the Gods... So are the vikings from the LEGO sets godheads?
However, LEGO Vikings is Castle.
Even though set 1592 clearly has a castle wall, or better: a town wall, I wouldn't count it in as a castle set. The scenery is located in a modern town, in that there are signs of modern life like a car, a hotdog stand, asphalt roads with road signs, and the minifigs are wearing clothes from the 1900s to 1930s. So I'd say 1592 is at the most Castle-related. As Castle-related as any Belville Fairy Tale Castle, by the way.
Sets up until 1990?
I for myself count "Legoland Castle" up until 1992. The style of 1992's Castle relases still is in the spirit of Legoland Castle.

Bye
Jojo
tanzirian
Villein

Post by tanzirian »

Agree 100% with the above.
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

Wonderful discussion.
I believe that anything that appeals to you and can be used to represent your vision of Castle is castle. I would not bring guns and cars and hi tech into it but many good fantasy stories add these elements with a coherent story line that could be appropriate. When I am playing with Lego - anything goes as long as I am having fun.

If we are debating Lego's definition of Castle, then I leave that to those with the knowledge and experience - as well as more of the actual sets ...

Cheers
Bert.
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

Definately Ninja, they are just Knights called samurai and carry curved long swords instead of short broad swords, they had castles, and had a code of honour like chivalry.
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash