Black Knights Castle 6086 vs. Royal Knights Castle 6090

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

I have them both, but admittedly haven`t built them up for ages. My vote would be for the 6090....the whole thing is far more interesting to look at and it`s just...well....bigger. More imposing, more fun. The big base plate is better too if you`re into building freestyle.

But I love the little half-timbered house in 6086...one of my all-time favourite pieces is that framework wall. I want more....
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

And the big dragon-banner on the roof...the kninghts, and the ghost, and all the other stuff, it's like the 6090 is a evolution of the 6086, basically the same thing, but...well..much more of it, Still love the 6086 though :)
I'm back, and so is Castle!
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

The Black Knights Castle 6086.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

6086, more realistic and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better figs!
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

I'm twleve, so it is a bit of a coincidence that I have these two sets, as I was too young to get them when they were released. 6086 is definately better in all ways.
DawnCrusader
Serf

Post by DawnCrusader »

Although I don't own any of these sets, I must say they're my favorite too.
Between the two, I would take 6090 first... It's simply more... Royal, majestic... and yeah, I like the Fantasy style implicit in the castle and minifigs...
The only thing that bothers me in 6090 is the lack of a good number of Armored Knights.
What more can I say? It's the ultimate LEGO Castle in my opinion, and I'm sure that it was LEGO's intention to make it so at the time it was released :)
"Strength and Honor"
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

6086 is the best of these pit and ramp castles. Its only real downfall was the raised baseplate. Aside from that it had 12 minifigs, 2 of them armored, 4 horses, yellow tudor wall panels, large dragon flag, decent portculis, fairly defensible design. 6090 was nice, but it lacked armor and it wasn't all that defensible. Like 6086 a major drawback was the raised baseplate, but I always liked this baseplate a little better. I am also a fan of the Royal Knight theme, so 6090 is a close second, mainly it loses due to fig, horse and armor count.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
hbl951
Serf

Post by hbl951 »

Royal knights without a dout, it has minifigs weapons, horses and size compared to the black falcons
\
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

6086 is not a Black Falcon castle, it is a Black Knight castle. The Royal Knight castle - 6090 has less horses, knights and armor than the 6086. Just thought you might like to know. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Horak the Great
Peasant

Post by Horak the Great »

The way I see it is this; if minfigs are important to you then I would say 6086, without a doubt. If the castle itself is your priority, I would lean towards 6090.
Luke Everson

Post by Luke Everson »

My favorite of the Two is the Black Knights castle. But that's probably just because I route for the Black and Dragon Knights. also my brother just got the Royal Knights castle, and i have been attacking it! :lol:
Ristridin
Bailiff

Post by Ristridin »

6068 is definetly the best of the two....
I am happy to see most people agree with me.
6090 is also very cool, but less, it was for me the last castle before the DARK AGES began.
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Horak the Great wrote:The way I see it is this; if minfigs are important to you then I would say 6086, without a doubt. If the castle itself is your priority, I would lean towards 6090.
Unless of course, you prefer the look of 6086 :wink: .

Personally, I find 6090 to be disappointing. To me, 6090 doesn't really look like a castle. Its far too open to be considered anything other than a playset.

Still, we all collect LEGO for different reasons. I'm sure many of the younger fans place a greater emphasis on the action elements of a set than I would.

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
tanzirian
Villein

Post by tanzirian »

I think that 6086 is the best looking of all the castles - it takes all the strands of castle design of the previous 8 years and weaves them into an elegant whole. While it is neither as stable nor as flexible as 6080 or 6085, which decreases its play value, I cannot fault its appearance.

Although there are aspects of 6090 that I admire, overall its design lacks the finesse of its predecessors and some parts (like the smaller of the two rear towers) are left blatantly incomplete. However it could easily have been honed into something more elegant, like this adaptation by James:

http://www.minifig.co.uk/default.asp?id=3&mID=10
Suvied
Laborer

Post by Suvied »

Gray octangonal bricks is the deciding factor for me.

Besides I like the fantasy castle style more than the realism (if you can even call it that) style.
There is someone who is always worse off than you . . . consider my peasants for example.