Weekly Set Review: Black Knight's Boat

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Black Knight's Boat

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 1547 Black Knight’s Boat.

Black Knights Boat, part of the 1597 Castle Value Pack, was released in 1993. This small dragon boat includes a knight, a soldier, rear rudder oars, and a treasure barrel.

Last edited by architect on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Like most of the castle sets of this time I picked it up because it was castle. I loved the barrel, and the knights.

I sure miss sets like these.

LF
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I miss sets like these as well. I can remember a time when I could drop by the local drug store and pick up any number of useful castle sets. As a set this one is not all that interesting, but it had potential. 6.5/10

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
LEGO_KNIGHT
Artisan

Post by LEGO_KNIGHT »

Hi

I dont own this set but the design of the boat is nice. I like the knights too. I give a rating of 7/10.

Erwin

SICK DAYS:
We will no longer accept a doctor's statement as proof of sickness. If you are able to go to the doctor, you are able to come to work.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Cool little boat.

Cons:
The Black Knight is not as good as the one you get in 6009.
No one is exactly rowing the boat.
You can only get it in a value pack.

Pros:
Cool Dragon Sculpture.
Two Knights.
Barrel.
Blue Dragon Sheild.

Not the best set at the time, but far better than the smaller models we see nowadays.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Nice.

Post by Sir Terrance »

This set sure is nice, good for building up a fleet of boats, and a great army builder with a large ovoid shield! I wish I had 4...
I give it 9/10! :D
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Just a quick question, what was the origional price of this value pack.

I see it going for around $80 USD on Bricklink, then again I see 6086 going for around $490 USD on Bricklink today.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
ThomasBrickheim
Serf

Post by ThomasBrickheim »

This is a funny set. I don't think it was ever released in the Netherlands.
Though, when you compare this design with the sets of the same year you must admit it's not one of the best. I find the dragonhead a little weird as well as the oars. Still it is a very nice and usefull set. and the two knights and the armor are a big plus. I would have bought it for sure if it was available today.
"And He said:"Let there be bricks!" And there were bricks."
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

Good for the knights you get in it, but the boat itself isn't very well thought out. Nu-uh. 4 out of 10 for model, 8 out of 10 for pieces. So over all 6/10

There are Fright Knight sets designed better than this. But this has good minifigs, and has value.
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Just a quick question, what was the origional price of this value pack.

I see it going for around $80 USD on Bricklink, then again I see 6086 going for around $490 USD on Bricklink today.
The original pack price was $8. This set was only in North America I believe. Sets on bricklink are too expensive in my opinion. I got the pack misb recently for under $20 (but I got really lucky).

I do like this set alot. The dragon is not perfectly proportioned, but the boat has good figures and accessories while fitting in with similar castle boats of the same scale.

Ben
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Other threads kept me busy but now for the review.

The Black Knight's Boat is not a bad set but not a great set, either.
It's somewhat unbalanced with its massive structure at the prow and the tiny structure at the stern. And I too wonder how this ship is powered? The oars at the stern seem to be the steering.

The over-all design suits the style of the Dragon Knights well, so this is a pro.

DM's con that is only available in a value pack is indeed a con. Mainly because value packs like this have never been available in Gerrmany. However, that challenges the collector's stimulus and could almost be considered a pro :-)

Bye
Jojo

PS.
As for the prices at BrickLink: There's a huge difference between prices for used models and prices for MISB sets, in particular if those sets are discontinued for a couple of years. You must not expect to get a MISB 6086 at the same price now as it has been in 1992, unless YOU are the one who picks it up in a dusty old toy store :-)
Though $450 is way too expensive. In principle prices for sets on BrickLink are too high.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

OK, well I don't like this set

The design is all wrong. The ship is not balanced. The Dragon on the bow is ugly, comparing it to ships like 6018 - Battle Dragon for example, the dragon on the bow there is much much better (and I believe it was a cheaper set). The colors combination not goes great (it was better as black and blue or black and red but not all three of them at once). No one rows the boat which is weird.
The 2 knight's there are good though looks a bit weird for black knight's. It's the only time TLC used the black knight torso with a dark gray helmet and I don't think it's really fit.

As others mantioned, this set was never available in Israel as well, and I discovered it only in 2000. In compare to other castle ships LEGO made I think this one is the worst. It does not include any hard to get bricks and therefore in my opinion is a waste of money to buy it from BL. You want a great fleet, I think a combination of 6049 as a big one and several 6018 are much much better then that set. The only reason I can think of some1 buying it is because he is a collector (like me). Otherwise waste of money.

Don't bite my head for this but overall I'm being large for giving it 4/10 (no one have to agree though).
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

Hello all. I have been lurking here for quite some time now and have finally decided to come aboard.

I think this set has some good things going for it. Two minifigs mainly. However as noted above it has a very strange design. If this thing isn't moving downstream, where is it going to go? I can't understand why they would include 2 oars, and not use them to power the boat.

That said, I have seen better from Lego, but I have also definately seen a lot worse. Compared to some stuff in recent years, I do think this set could be considered "great". However, compared to other past Lego sets, I can only call this set passible.

6/10
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Todd
Freeman

Post by Todd »

I like this set! The parts alone are worth it!
Don't make me angry... I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Welcome ezehogan,

Always nice to have someone transfer from lurker to poster. I agree with you, compared to the stuff we have available now, it is a good set. At the time it was produced it wasn't all that exciting.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.