the pics of my Cathedral!

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
ratmfan
Serf

the pics of my Cathedral!

Post by ratmfan »

okay, i have alluded to a cathedral i have been working on here a couple of times recently, and here are the first pics of it:
first, a deep link:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ratmf ... pic21b.jpg

Image changed to link by admin. Please read and follow the image size limitations: http://classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499

sorry it is so big, the details just dont come out right with a smaller picture. here is ther link to the folder:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=72727

also posted this to lugnet, should you guys recognize this post :-) .

there are only 3 pics, just 2 of the whole model so far, and one of the stained glass window. however, check back occasionally, as i will be updating the folder as i build more. the facade is inspired by Reims Cathedral in France. it is composed of 5982 pieces! i hope to reach about 30,000 with the completed model. the rest of the cathedral will be based around the National Cathedral in Washington DC. it really inspired me when i was there, and i wanted to build somthing like it. well, this is my first virtual model, but i think it is coming along nicely! please let me know what you think!

thanks!
steve[/img]
Stephen Rowe
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: the pics of my Cathedral!

Post by footsteps »

Absitively, posolutely fantastic. Now, will it be possible to create this with real bricks, without flirting with bankruptcy?

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Awesome: Inspiring of awe or dread, to the point of speechlessness....

Dude.. that is AWESOME

I would love to see that really built, or even in the stages of construction with minifigs toting and hualing. The minifig you have there right now really gives it a sense of scale. I am amazed at the sheer SIZE of it, but the DETAIL makes it rock!

LF
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Amazing!!! That is an... an.... "awsome" cathedral. That is the only word that discribes it. Any interior pics?

Mr. D
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Dude, that is the stuff dreams are made of. Its so huge, fantasticly beautiful!

Alas, I would love to see it in brick. I bet Jojo has enough to build it!

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

That is a phenominal cathedral, I can barely imagine how big a castle would have to be to be in scale with this monster. The detail work is excellent, the window really stands out. I may have to "borrow" a few ideas from this for a much smaller cathedral I was planning. Do you have a piece count and is the just the front half of the catherdral with a back half still in the works?

There are some pricey items in the MOC aside from the bricks, but I think the quadruple convex 2 x light gray slope may not have been made yet. Judging by the size of this, I can guess it would break the bank of almost everyone here.

Anyway thanks for sharing, virtual MOCs are always nice to see even if they fall into the "if only I could win the lottery" category.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Wow, this is great! And big.
The cathedral of Reims was indeed my first thought when I saw your picture/building.
And I too would like to see it built with real bricks though I know it's almost impossible.

Dragon Master, no, I wouldn't be able to build that :-) I did not get further than Image.

Bye
Jojo

ratmfan
Serf

Post by ratmfan »

wow you guys respond quickly! thank you all for your very kind words! a couple of comments to address:

footsteps: there is no way i could do it without incurring MASSIVE debts, but hey, gotta keep in mind what is important in life, mmmmm.....legos, or college.... ;-) .

LegoFreak: it was partially inspired by Jojo's cathedral section, which has a pic of the minifigs building it on the outside:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=27731
thanks a pretty cool pic

MrD: there are no pics of the interior of this section, but when i construct the nave, i plan to fully furnish the inside, and provide lots of pics! :-)

wlister: i planned to build it bigger than anything i had seen in castle so far, just because the real ones are *enormous*. the National Cathedral in Washington DC is just awe inspiring. the piece count so far is 5982. please borrow as much as you need for yours! just post pics afterwards so we can see! this is all i have built so far, and i wouldn't call it the front "half", more like the front "sixth" or "seventh". i plan for this to be enormous! i am very ambitious! there are a few parts that are very expensive, but mostly, it's just regular bricks, some arches, and tall slopes.

Jojo: i would really like to build it, someday i will, i promise myself, and your cathedral section was part of my influence. could you tell me how many bricks high yours was/is? i want to get a comparative number for mine, to get an idea of how high to build the rest. thanks!

thanks again to everyone for the very nice comments! i will keep you updated with more pics as it comes along!

thanks
steve
Stephen Rowe
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
ratmfan wrote:there is no way i could do it without incurring MASSIVE debts, but hey, gotta keep in mind what is important in life, mmmmm.....legos, or college.... ;-)
Considering my current life.... It's LEGO.
could you tell me how many bricks high yours was/is? i want to get a comparative number for mine, to get an idea of how high to build the rest. thanks!
Up to the upper edge of the window it's 30 bricks, the lower edge of the verdigris/copper roof is 35 bricks from the ground, the clerestorey starts about 46 bricks from the ground and ends at 65 bricks. The oriels are 70 bricks(without the cross on top) resp. 73 bricks with cross. That's also the over-all height. The buttresses are from ground to top 67 bricks tall.

The height, however, strictly depended on the amount of bricks I had available when I built it. You, building in CAD, are free and uncommited :-)

Bye
Jojo

moom
Freeman

Post by moom »

Jojo wrote:And I too would like to see it built with real bricks though I know it's almost impossible.
ratmfan wrote:there is no way i could do it without incurring MASSIVE debts, but hey, gotta keep in mind what is important in life, mmmmm.....legos, or college....
What do you all think of this idea: to make a community build project of this? I mean, choose a realy good module design for the main hall, say in length from a buttres up to (but not including) the adjacent buttres. In other words, it would be about half the size of what's on Jojo's picture (just one buttres and adjacent wall section):
The portal, tower and choir could be separate modules build by the more "part-wealthy" participants.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.
caesar2164
Villein

Wow

Post by caesar2164 »

Wow!!!! :shock:

Acckk! :shock:

Ive never seen something THAT big.

Anyway of getting the LDraw file ratmfan?

Thanks,
Now where did I put that Brick separator?

Caesar2164

My Homepage:
www.geocities.com/caesar2164/index.html
ratmfan
Serf

Post by ratmfan »

hey caeser, it is pretty big, but unfortunately, not big enough :shock: ! i started on the nave, and for as large as i wanted the nave to be, the towers were not big enough, so i started a new front facade, both MUCH larger, and MUCH more detailed. hopefully it will be done in a week or so. i will be truly enormous.

oh, you asked about the LDRAW file. as it is my first time using LDRAW, and i am a complete noob, i dont know how to do exactly you are asking. however, tell me how to do it, and i will do it i fi can!

thanks!
steve
Stephen Rowe
caesar2164
Villein

LDraw

Post by caesar2164 »

Alright ratmfan,

All you have to do is find where you saved the LDraw file for the Cathedral and upload it to Brickshelf and then anyone who wants to download it can! :D

Oh, and keep on making BIGGER buildings You can never see too many of those... :wink:
Now where did I put that Brick separator?

Caesar2164

My Homepage:
www.geocities.com/caesar2164/index.html
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

Ratmfan first, that is inpressive! I love the detail of the window in paticular. 2nd, the easyest way to upload the .dat file I have found is to email it to the requesters. Just write an email and attach it. I have seen .dat files on bricklink, but not having a bricklink folder I couldn't explain how to upload onto that website. btw, one question for you. Are you using the "step" ability in MLCAD? The program has the ability to design the steps so you can go back and build it (in theroy).

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
ratmfan
Serf

ldraw file

Post by ratmfan »

hey guys, sorry it took so long to get back to ya, i work a lot. anyway, when i say i am a complete noob, i mean completely. however, i *think* i know what you guys are talking about, and i will try to get it posted after work tonight. i have no problem releasing the file. i love contributing to the community! i will try and put it on brickshelf, and if it doesnt work, i will email it to whoever is interested. now, as it is my first LDRAW model, it is imperfect. it has a large opening in the back so a nave can be built, and you can see inside. as the building is merely a shell, there is nothing to look at. also, you may find free floating black pieces, those are to provide contract for the windows, so you can see the definition better. finally, i am sure some of the bricks overlap at some spots, i tried to avoid it, but i am sure there are still some in there. anyway oh, i am not using the step ability. sorry, it's just a model purely for enjoyment, didnt think about being able to recreate it via instructions :-(. so sorry i cant help ya there. finally, thanks again for the positive comments, i promise caesar, this one is only the beginning. my next facade is MASSIVE, and when the cathedral is finally finished (long time from now), it will be MASSIVELY MASSIVE! ;-)see you all tonight!

thanks
steve
Stephen Rowe