Weekly Set Review: Royal Knight's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
mysticallyenchanting
Villein

Post by mysticallyenchanting »

The last castle set I bothered to get!
I love the attention to detail - the gargoyles etc and the great playablity. I thought it was so cool how you could fit a soldier inbetween the closed door and portcullis (this was exploited a lot when I played with it - ambushes, assasinations etc).
I don't think that a skelton AND a ghost is entirely necessary. I'd have ditched the ghost for another knight.
Can't help but feel cheated though. The official photos always show it from the front with high, imposing walls. But go round the sides and back and the walls are just a few bricks tall (I suppose this is so that you can get your mits inside. The problem with a base plate is that you can't open it out like th other castles so at least one wall is needed to be low for access).
Overall a good set and I'd be happy for it to be the next legend.
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

what a set! one of the sets i really should have gotten, but i liked pirates more at that age.
If you are reading this it means I have posted! - congratulate your find and remember this day
fuzzy
Laborer

Post by fuzzy »

I think it is a good set. 9/10 :)
Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
little darling, it seems like years since its been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and i say its all right
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

This was one of the best Castle sets I've ever owned. I think I managed to keep the original design intact for several months. That is until the urge came for me to cannibalize it for its parts. :twisted:

Currently I have the Castle's very unique baseplate and I have no clue what to build on it. Perhaps a small Greek outpost?
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

mysticallyenchanting wrote: I thought it was so cool how you could fit a soldier inbetween the closed door and portcullis (this was exploited a lot when I played with it - ambushes, assasinations etc).
I forgot to mention this, glad you did! It is one of my faviourite features of this set.

Thanks and God Bless,

Nathan
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

I never found this one in our local stores, even looked for it as far as Austria but it was sold out already. I still regret that I didn't have it and am willing to do it if it comes out on a reasonable price.
It's great in my opinion adds a little bit of spleandour to the Castle Theme. Excellent selection of parts and minifigs as well as various possibilities for combining it with other set.

P.S. Sadly marks the begining of my Dark Ages too.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Sorry I'm a bit late on this.

Ah memories. Painful memories. I never got this set, but my dear big brother did (and he already had one to my none) and due to his lack of kindness, our castle games were somewhat stressed. Never in my life was I so jealous. Ah well, at least I have grown enough to only be moderately envious.

The piece selection is quite nice. 11 dudes, plus a huge amount of bricks. The design is a tad ridiculous, but there are some neat stuff, like the secret door and the gate. The dungeon and the low walls were rather odd, but hey, the low walls were the only spot Mike ever let me play.

Not a bad little set.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Romas
Freeman

Post by Romas »

People complain this and other castles built on raised baseplates have too low walls in some places. The thing is, the fortress is built on a cliff, which acts as an extension of the defensive wall iteself. It's not like the soldiers just climb that steep clif and then simply walk over the tiny wall. It is the same thing with 6081. I for one don't think this castle is that badly fortified.
"Truth suffers from too much analysis"
TrishoHara
Villein

Post by TrishoHara »

I got this castle very recently from ebay for a very cheap price.
I love it!
It's wonderful and it looks fantastic.
And the 3D-plate is great.
I re-build it now and make a few modifications at the side and in the inside.
Jameson
Gong Farmer

I love this set!!!

Post by Jameson »

This is my favorite set ever :P I know that this isn't the best set,but to me this set has a moderately good design,a ton of great figs,loads of traps and working parts,and a good selection of parts it fits all of my lego castle needs :wink:
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

Hey...this was my favourite castle back then('cause I didn't know for any others)...It was called Saxondale castle in serbian catalogues(probably in all Eastern European).I really liked that name...I do not own this because then I was focused on Pirates...I really like those Royal Knights(they're the first who got a king)...I'm sorry because I didn't get this...

Who knows,maybe Legend on day :D
Greetings from Serbia
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

I thought I already wrote a review for this. :?

This is by far my favorite castle and it's my first as well, so maybe it's just nostalgia. The design bridges the gap between the 80's and the 2000's and I'd say it got the better deal with the later half. There's a good mix between the premolded and raw parts.The Royal Knights themselves are awsome. They're the perfect good guys.

Minifigs:8/10
Design:7/10
Parts:8/10
Accessories:8/10
Playbuility:9/10
Nostalgia:10/10

Overall:8.5/10
Shi-Joh
Gong Farmer

Post by Shi-Joh »

Hi there I am a new fella was mainly based over at Fbtb but when I saw this place I just couldn't not register.

I have this set 6090, got it for my x-mas 1996 I think and like others have said it was really something!

All those figures, great playability and of course had a king to rule over it :)

10/10

It still has a warm place in my heart and sits along side the viking longship on top of my wardrobe(Highest possible viewing spot :P).

Thanks and look forward to talking to you all more

S-J

Ps Sorry for revamping and old topic just wanted to make a hello and coment on me favourite set :)
zac_schmitt
Freeman

Post by zac_schmitt »

as with several others, this was my first real castle. i absolutely loved it, and am kinda heartbroken now that it's lost.

the nostalgia level is so high maybe i can't review it fairly, but i can say that lego mustsa done their jobs, since the little kid that i was (and the adult i am) fell in love with lego because of this castle. i can't come up with any faults in the face of that.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I'm not sure I can review this set...

I loved this set so much back in 1995, but sadly I never got one. I'm still sad about that, and now that there aren't any on eBay/BrickLink I've given up hope of getting one. But I still have a Royal Knights poster with this set in the background, so all is not lost...one day, I hope, I will get one.

10/10, just by its looks alone
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Thu May 25, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.