Weekly Set Review: Royal Drawbridge

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Royal Drawbridge

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6078 Royal Drawbridge.

Royal Drawbridge, released in 1995, is a tower and bridge for the Royal Knights. The set has a collapsing bridge, jail with a skeleton, camouflaged raft with a hidden archer, two guarding soldiers, a Dragon Master’s knight, and accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

A nice set. Some neat playability.

Hmmm.... drawbridge... ;)
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

A great set that compliments the 6090 castle well.

When I first came out of my dark age, I remember those were the 2 sets I frantically tried to bid on on ebay, literally staying up all night to try to do so. Luckily, I've managed to secure one of each for myself for an affordable price, and I later built the bridge with my girlfriend and got her into Lego as well! A great set indeed.

R. B.

visit my website: http://www.redbeanstudio.net
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

I have great memories of that set.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Sir Terrance
Councilor

A fairly good set.

Post by Sir Terrance »

I had always wanted this set, however never got it. I thought it was a cool set then and think the same now. I has good playability with the small jail and working drawbridge. Also came with quite a few figs (5 I think) a horse and including a skeleton, which I can't get enough of!
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

One of the best from that series. I rember having this set. I loved how you had the little jail for the skeleton (must be serving 2 life sentences :wink: ). I liked the little raft on this set also. What would have made this a masterpiece would be if it could connect to Royal Knight's castle.

8/10

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

[Edit] My english got better.
That one is a wonderful set! I always wanted it, but I never found any.
Like others said, it haves great playbility and magnific figures.
Sorry if my english isn't very good. I'm Portuguse :D .
Last edited by Luís on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I do not have this set but I have played with one at a relatives house. The Drawbridge has great playability, a nice amount of figures, and a cool design. Plus it has a raft, and I like lego rafts. :wink:

As someone else mentioned, this set doesnt connect well to the Royal Knight's Castle. This lack of modularity is annoying.

Ben E.
Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

My first Castle set! This was really, really fantastic! A great fig booster!
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This set is nice but not great. The building is looking good but the functions are weird. Well, the function, namely the tilting bridge. The whole bridge is resting just on one single foliage part...
Also I wonder what's the sense in having prisons in simply _every_ building. And why in a drawbridge? That's not exactly a secure place I think.

Why does the Dragon Master carry a Black Monarch's shield?

This set contains this poster:

Bye
Jojo

ANGELWATER
Gong Farmer

Post by ANGELWATER »

wow, what a long time I saw that...(pinks a tear away from my eye)...where is the time?...I remember this was (one of the?)the first sets I really still can remember having..I know I builded it with my brother when my parents were still togehther...I have always liked those bridge-sets...We also had that Wolf-bridge-set..

back to the main set...love it! really great to play with..that little jail..the brige(that you can toss over)...
8/10... :)
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Hm.... This looks like a nice little set. A great collection builder! I would like to get this set, mainly for the figs and the arches.

D-man
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

This was my first Royal Knights set. Had to get the skeleton. Not a bad set, though not one of the greatest. The tipping bridge never really worked right on mine. Always seemed to get stuck.

Steve
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

A "fun" mid sized set, though not acurrate it is realistic in the sense that it would be feasable to have a gaurded river crossing. I have it and I like it. The only limiting factors are the premolded turrets (BTW notice KK2 is chock full of these?) and the little blue cones on the spires/towers (or whatever they are supposed to be).
Troy T. Moore
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Hi all

Jojo wrote:
This set contains this poster:
as always I bought the set and no poster....

anyway

10/10 and I won't add another word.

p.s. OK I'll add one more word.
It's must have if you have the 6090 set, otherwise it's only under nice to have. The minifigs distribute is more or less equal to those in the 6067 and so are the number of pieces more or less.
And here is an alternative model (not a great one though)
http://library.brickshelf.com/gallery/s ... 7-1-31.jpg