Weekly Set Review: Armor Shop

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

I too like the longhaired salesman.

The set overall is nice, but aside from the plethora of accessories, it doesn't stand out much, and certainly not as a building. The goblets as helmet-holders are nice, and make me think I own this, as I have them...
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

In modern context - this set is fabulous. I mean, everything that has been said already is still true - it's a classic of the good ol' days of Castle.

However, to play a sort of pseudo-Devil's Advocate here. . . I want to give my impression of this set when I was a kid:

I was about 8, I think, when I first saw this set. It was actually an older set by that time (I was born a couple years after this set came out), but I saw it and had the chance to buy it. I didn't.

Why didn't I? Because if we look at this set in context of its era, it wasn't really fantastic, by my standards at least. I had a lot of extra castle pieces all over the place, so the set itself wasn't really special - I'd built better myself for my 'shops.'

As a kid I didn't really like the square flags, so that didn't do anything for me. And I didn't like black weapons either.

Two figs, in a style that was pretty common at the time. Well, I already had quite a few of those. Some extra headgear and shields - of which I already had more than I could use. The only part of this set that would have proved useful to me as a kid was the horse, of which I always liked having more.

So, while the set was nice, it just wasn't nice -enough- for me to bother with as a kid, considering the vast amount of Castle stuff I already had (and I had -a lot-).
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

I have to say that this is one of my favorite LEGO sets ever!

It has so many good things about it, I will not even mention them all! The two things I like most are the Crusader flag (don't have yet...) and the balck sword (which I have 2 of :D ) .
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

I would love to have one of these. I think I almost bought it (details are fuzzy) but got something else (non-LEGO) instead. Naturally, I'm kicking myself now. :(
leshrac
Villein

Post by leshrac »

This was my favorite set when i started this obsession. Obviously the black sword but it also had 2 minifigs and the Red Lion flag( which imediately went on to the top of my King's Castle). 20 years later and my Black Falcon king still holds his black sword proudly. the set is attached to the Fortress.
My dark age lasted 3 weeks back in 1996!
El Mariachi
Laborer

Post by El Mariachi »

I love this set. Its one of my favorites right next to 6067. Its trivial, non-violent, though it has a great amount of weapons, and recreates a very common moment fo the medieval life: Weapon acquisition. The unique items are very nice (all of them) and the minifigs are also pretty ok. Its a very simple set but its simply beautiful. The red roof fits very well the grey brick walls giving the set a very urban appearance. I also love the minifig with the brown hair; dunno why, but he really looks like a salesman to me.

The set could however include another cavalry lance and a breastplate. A piece of parchment would also be nice.

So in an overall way I'll rate it an 8/10
"God is dead; but considering the state the species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche
leshrac
Villein

Post by leshrac »

The set could however include another cavalry lance and a breastplate. A piece of parchment would also be nice.
The set was made before breastplates were introduced. Ithink the breastplates arrived in the early 90's.
My dark age lasted 3 weeks back in 1996!
g2
Sir Postsalot

Re: Weekly Set Review: Armor Shop

Post by g2 »

JoshWedin wrote: But then I have a thing for the unmentionable famous piece in this set. :D

Josh
Why is the "thing" unmentionable?
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Great set :D But I lost the black sword as a kid. All the crusaders line is just so far ahead of anything that came after ...

As a kid (though) I could never work out why the Black Falcon knight was holding a crusader shield on the box :s I always equiped mine with the falcon shield.

The flag always bothered me too, if the image were rotated 90 degrees it would be alot more usueful. I think this was one of the first sets to feature the square flag & I remember not being fussed over it as it didnt have the "flow" that the banners had. But I got over that ;)

I liked this set especially because as a kid my lego factions didnt go to war with each other - I considered each faction as a seperate noble family with their own crest - all of whom served under the crusader king. A theory supported by the fact that the store sells shields for both factions. An exceptional piece of historical insight for a child ;)
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

I have seen this set before, even though I turned thirteen about a few months ago, I know what the box looks like, my cousin owns it and he is 27, and he won't sell to me a cheaper price 150 dollars, should I buy it? Note it mint condition can't touch in glass case with lock
gormadoc1
Artisan

Re: Weekly Set Review: Armor Shop

Post by gormadoc1 »

I like this set for the accesories, design and customization possipilities. :)
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.