hammer
No votes
other
5%

Total votes: 57

lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Five words: light chailmail and a helmet.

Try to shoot though that! :twisted:
Let me see here, isn't there a nice convenient unprotected spot near the neck? Hmmm? :twisted:
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

i gotta agree with lf and the sword guys. The light grey axe is nice (though).

i do wish we had a proper warhammer or mace (though), and the orient pikes are nice. i want those in castle!

best blasterman weapon is the AXE i LOVE that thing. just wish ie fit better in my crusader's hands.
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Try switching the hands for a newer set. My old Crusader
figs have the same problem, with most any weapon.

Oh - "light chainmail and a helmet" :roll: does very little in the
way of protecting you from a thrusting object. That's one
reason for plate armour. The other being better distribution
of the armour's weight.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Blasterman wrote:Oh - "light chainmail and a helmet" :roll: does very little in the
way of protecting you from a thrusting object. That's one
reason for plate armour. The other being better distribution
of the armour's weight.

Yeah, but I would like to be able to move when I fight! :lol: :lol:

When you dart about lightly armored, your're less likely to be shot or thrust at!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

I take it you've never actually worn real armour on, right?

With full plate, I don't worry about arrows or blades.
The chance of an arrow or blade point penetrating my
plate is insignificant next to the power of ...wait...is far
less than your mail.

Plus the weight for plate and mail(full coverage) is roughly
the same anyway.

So there. :P
adm_matthew
Journeyman

Post by adm_matthew »

I'll tell ya what my favorite weapon is when my package from B-Man comes in...
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Blasterman wrote:I take it you've never actually worn real armour on, right?

With full plate, I don't worry about arrows or blades.
The chance of an arrow or blade point penetrating my
plate is insignificant next to the power of ...wait...is far
less than your mail.

Plus the weight for plate and mail(full coverage) is roughly
the same anyway.

So there. :P
Yah...yah...you got me there... :)

*throws up a white flag of truce* :wink:
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

My favorite is the sword, I think I like the golden sword from Orient Expedition set Temple of Mount Everest the best; such a long sword has disadvantages, however, I still like the swords the best, chrome. gray, or black.

Mr. D

P.S. I'm looking forward to the new KK line for new colors of swords; I'm hoping there'll be a small-size chrome sword.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

"Best" in what sense? As an actual weapon or as a Lego depiction? As a Lego depiction the Katana wins hands down - none of the other weapons looks as close to the real thing as the Katana does (Jeff doesn't really need to make a Little Armory version). After that, I'd go with the Pirate line cutlass.

As to the weapon I'd actually carry, I suppose a lot depends on other factors. If I want a useful tool that doubles as a weapon, I'd want the axe, though the Lego fireaxe does not look particularly medieval. You can trim it to look better, or just buy Jeff's Little Armory version. If I wanted a pure adventuring weapon, the sword. If I indulged any caution and wanted to hunt, the bow (preferably a longbow). If I was standing in formation with a bunch of determined footmen, forget the sword and give me the halbard (I'd prefer a pike, but Lego doesn't make one, despite often refering to the halbard as a pike). If I was out boar hunting in a manly fashion (no cowardly bows), I'd want a spear.

If you want to pin me down, I'd go with the bow and back it up with a falchion (Lego cutlass), traditional English longbowman.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:
Five words: light chailmail and a helmet.

Try to shoot though that! :twisted:

The longbow wouldn't have a hard time with that. At Crecy, arrows could go through chain, through a leg, out the other side of the armor, and into the horse - one poor french knight was pinned to his horse on both sides in such a fashion. As Jeff notes, to give a longbow or crossbow a tougher time, you need to go to plate.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I like cutting the blade and spike off the Dragon Master Halberds, its good in a pinch for a decent pike and one of the cheaper weapons to buy on Bricklink. Cutting the blade off a lego "pike" and gluing it on another pike and shortening the shaft makes for a great double bladed battle axe. I would love to see Jeff do one of these Hint HintIt is not likely to ever be made by Lego and as far as history goes, they were not an uncommon weapon. For now I will make do with my customs...

Yes,

I am working on the custom weapons article, but my time is limited and I talk to much here and I have a bad case of procrastination, but perhaps by Tuesday next week. You have to remember that I am on Canadian time so that works out to about 77 cents US. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

TwoTonic Knight wrote: The longbow wouldn't have a hard time with that. At Crecy, arrows could go through chain, through a leg, out the other side of the armor, and into the horse - one poor french knight was pinned to his horse on both sides in such a fashion. As Jeff notes, to give a longbow or crossbow a tougher time, you need to go to plate.
Okay, okay...I give in...plate armor it is...

:roll:
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

I see I'm not the only one to have voted for "katana". You're probably asking yourself why on earth did I do that:

The sword is a good weapon, has been used all throughout history...but I find it a little bland.

The broad sword is nice for royalty, but doesn't foot the bill for an army.

The Halberd is unique I agree, but its long, and long, and just too long.

The hatchet is merely a tool, so I won't bother going into that. If you're talking about the axe, well yeah its good, but it appeals in a more barbaric fashion than much else.

Spears are good for throwing-but what do you do when you have no more spears? Whip the guy with your belt, or bash him with your helmet? I don't think so.

Arrow weapons are great in the castle...and when you have a confrontation with a knight, or run out of arrows-well then you just go around banging the bow/crossbow.

Hammer.......yeah well, just go build your house, and when you have enouph crowns, buy something more useful....unless you're an indian.

Other........right......

Katana: Well first off this weapon is unique. It was not used by the French, English, or any European and American people. It has a nice design-not too blunt, carved handle, and the hand protector isn't round-like you would expect it to be. The color is good (where did they come up with a black crossbow anyway?), and even though it is thin and slick, it can be easily fit in any clip being held at the blade.

Whats more, this weapon came out with the introduction of the clip on the back of the ninja wrap-which has also proved to be a very cool aspect of lego.

-my 2 cents

Dan
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

Ahhh, but you forget, while both of you are hacking each other to pieces, I will take my bow any shoot both of you

And while your aiming ur bow, I'll chop you with my Halebard from behind! :twisted:

Massive amount of emoticons removed by admins - to paraphrase Indiana Jones - "he chose poorly" :wink:
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

Why isn't anyone voting Halberd?