new sets

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
TheDuke
Serf

Post by TheDuke »

Of course. I'm just sayign have a bit more imagination. Thats the whole point of LEGO after all isn't it?
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

I actually like what seems to be three new helm designs. The flared black one is very, very cool, and fits in well with the "classic" helms, the one which appear to be an "armet" style is very cool and I can't wait for a gray version. Too bad it doesn't open. The new opening-visor dark gray helm is weird appears to be a wolf head, or it may just be me, as i don't know how that works with a scorpion theme. I hate those new angular swords.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

TheDuke wrote:Bro, have you ever played any sort of fantasy games? Thnk of the armor as enchanted or special cultural armor or something. Come on be creative these are LEGO pieces we are tlaking about here.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Many role playing computer/video games will use colored weapons to represent magical enchantments. red=fire enchanted, blue=sword of frost, yellow=lightning, etc.

However, as neat as it may be to have a few colored weapons and armors, if you buy multiples of most of these sets, you'll end up with tons of funny colored swords and armors. When they make up the bulk of the parts it loses it's "cool factor" and just gets annoying. Kinda like having 8 Harry Potter figures or 8 King Leos.

I think the sets need more regular soldiers and equipment to make the unique characters and items seem more unique. Right now, the regular soldiers are harder to get than the unique guys. How can you build an army with that?

I could picture the guy with red armor commanding a couple dozen regular soldiers, but I could not picture a couple dozen red knights marching together.

I guess Star Wars fans complained about the same things - they would often get dozens of Luke Skywalker figures, but it was very difficult to build up a large army of stormtroopers. The same thing is happening here. We need the generic swordsmen, halberdiers, and archers. Fortunately, there is a castle equipment pack available so we can re-equip our figures however we want.

We have 4 good guy knights, a king, a wizard, and a bad guy knight for unique characters. In all of the sets there are also 3 generic bad guy soldiers. That will make it very difficult to actually build an army. There are no generic good guy soldiers at all. Also, there are no females, no peasants, no shopkeepers, and no shops. Of course, those things probably don't appeal to kids these days. Hopefully the Knight's Kingdom sets will be complemented by a couple S@H exclusives that include some good "medieval life" type things for creating a more realistic medieval setting.

This new Knight's Kingdom series seems to be taking a lot of set design ideas from Orient Expedition. These would be the same Orient Expedition sets that are on clearance everywhere and are just a year old. Maybe LEGO needs to rethink something here?
TheDuke
Serf

Post by TheDuke »

However, as neat as it may be to have a few colored weapons and armors, if you buy multiples of most of these sets, you'll end up with tons of funny colored swords and armors. When they make up the bulk of the parts it loses it's "cool factor" and just gets annoying.

You have a point there but I'm sayin just for buying one set.
I think the sets need more regular soldiers and equipment to make the unique characters and items seem more unique. Right now, the regular soldiers are harder to get than the unique guys. How can you build an army with that?
I agree with this also. They should have some more "generic" soldiers but I guess we get what they make for us... Anyways I haven't made a complete decision although I will get the smaller sets. I'm trying not to buy too many more LEGO sets. Trying to get rid of some of which I have.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Yes I know fantasy, and I play RPG games, but rainbow armor is a bit ridiculous. Fantasy is not the strenght of Lego. They tried with Fright Knights too. I just want to point that Lego did better things than this in the past.

So if you like it, buy it. I can't say anything more.
Last edited by David Girard on Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

TheDuke wrote: Trying to get rid of some of which I have.
what are you getting rid of? :D

LF
TheDuke
Serf

Post by TheDuke »

Yeah but we all have to face that LEGO is going downhill and goign to the kids rather then the olders builders. I don't think all these emails and stuff do a darn thing unless soemone donated a million dollars. Maybe that would change their minds....
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I hope too, one day they'll change their minds Duke.
Maybe.

But what I don't understand, is when they create sets when we were young , did Lego consider us more mature than today kids ? They made relatively serious sets, if we compare with todays sets. But we loved them, even if it was so serious.

For 80's kids it was OK, but now it's not ? :?
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I have found a use for all the knights except that light blue one. I could give those to my sister/lego fan and army collector apprentice. :D

Purple armor will go to my purple Indian cavalry. I've seen pics of their history reinactments and their soldiers had heavy armor.

Green armor will go to my Norse faction. They use green as one of their colors. That other blue knight's armor will go on the Samnites.

Red armor will go to the Etruscan cavalry.

The black armor.... well will be the most cavalry army of a new faction. Atlantis!

The new lion head stuff will go to the Shinar/Chaldea, which is represented by the first Knights Kingdom figs.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
TheDuke
Serf

Post by TheDuke »

I have asome stuff. A bunch of SW imperial stuff. Email me at dukester500@earthlink.net if you are interested in anyhting or Email me with what ya might need. I am also soon to get rid of a lot of bricks like 1x4's etc. in blue and stuff. Again let me know.

Derek
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Uh... Wrong forum! :lol:

Anyway, I think that it is a mixed lot. While I don't have much use for Violet knights, I've got to have some of those "baddies". The Red doesn't seem to bad, nor the Green.

Is it just me, or does 8778 have a Wolfpack-type figure? I swear that looks like a modified Wolfpack head on the guy's torso...

We should get at least one Wolfpack new-style shield. After all, that is the signature species of one of the Crapstraction Bioni-Gali-Knights.

Although probably the worst Castle theme yet, it still is good for someone like me who has a real castle minifigure count of <30.

I hope I'm right about the WP...

~Devari, an Avid Wolfpack fan
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Devari wrote:Anyway, I think that it is a mixed lot. While I don't have much use for Violet knights, I've got to have some of those "baddies". The Red doesn't seem too bad, nor the Green.
If you don't mind candy-colored knights. Green has the old armet. Purple has what looks to be a new one-piece armet. Black has a funky three pointed thing more readily identifiable in the larger galidor/bionicle figure. Barbie Blue has Ferrari Testarossa side strakes, but trying to judge from the other angle on the joust set, it might be the same as the black helmet. Red I just can't make out from the blurry pictures - it might be the same as the purple helmet. I think with the two-piece helmets, I'll probably mix them with black/gray to tone them down a bit. I do have black and gray visors on white, blue, and red helmets as it stands, so having a green visor on a black helmet and green armor on a black figure will probably work. The all green look is a bit too much, though (same for others).
Is it just me, or does 8778 have a Wolfpack-type figure? I swear that looks like a modified Wolfpack head on the guy's torso...

We should get at least one Wolfpack new-style shield. After all, that is the signature species of one of the Crapstraction Bioni-Gali-Knights.
Eagle, monkey, bear, wolf, scorpion, plus leo and a few flunkeys. Let me see if I remember - eagle/blue, green/monkey, red/bear, black/scorpion, so I presume purple is the wolf?

Personally, I want the guy with the barbutte helmet from the bridge of death set. Nice and generic.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

see my comments on the original article on Lugnet:

http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=18876

I can agree with the most of the people on here, when
I saw that these sets still fall short of most people's
expectations.

But.... I want to clarify that LEGO's position has (at least
lately) been if you don't like the sets we've put out, then
create and design your own stuff (and then show Us, as
in LEGO).

The colors are too wierd for my liking, but they make
a good "Knights of the Roundtable" or something
like that!

Also comments describing that there isn't a lot of other
realistic stuff in the sets like peasants, and other
usefull castle items..... (maybe the executioner killed them
all) :D

I'll probably buy everything except the "Leo's Castle".
Unless those new "arrow slits" are special peices.
I thought those were a nice touch.

Ben M.
INTENSS
Freeman

Post by INTENSS »

Did anyone else notice the Drag Masters shield the minifig is holding on top of set 8781? That's pretty interesting...

Overall....they COULD be worse. Not exactly the kind of stuff I dream of for new sets but they'll suffice. I'll buy them all only because I get everything. After getting 1 of each, I'll then determine which sets to get multiple copies of.

-Rich
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Take a closer look. Its NOT the Dragon Master shield. It has the same colors of red, green and yellow but its of a different design, plus its an octagonal shield.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]