My new WIP castle

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

My new WIP castle

Post by DNL »

This is my new Work-In-Progress castle, I made it to show at Legoworld in Oslo this spring.
I will replace the old-gray parts with bluish-gray parts and make the towers more detailed when my Bricklink order arrives.

FLICKR
Brickshelf when public
Last edited by DNL on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Very cool, DNL.

I like the spread and variety of the plants, and the apple tree in the corner is great. The low pool of water is also a plus. I can't wait to see what this looks like when it's done!
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

DNL,

Very cool. I actually really like the color it is now. One comment. The buttresses. Have you ever seen any like those flying butresses you have on it before? It would seem a huge weakness if you can knock those down and weaken the wall.

Nice though. I really like the look and feel of it.

R
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

Have you ever seen any like those flying butresses you have on it before?
Yes i have. I'ts not exactly the same, but it is flying :P
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

DNL,

No buttresses that are solid are fine in castle walls. They increase the strength and thickness of the wall very much. That is a very common occurance in medieval fortifications. All I see in the picture is a buttress and a few arches that support towers but on solid buttressing. My question was about the ones you have in the MOC that are vaulted, flying buttresses, which is used on non-military buildings usually. Does that make sense? My comment was not about buttresses in general but the vaulted/flying buttresses. They look cool don't get me wrong but I was wondering if you had seen it somewhere before that you based it on.

Nice castle by the way, is that local to you?

R
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Heir of Black Falcon, that castle is called Gravesteen (I'm sure you can find more pictures on google) and it's more local to me than it is to DNL now that he moved to Norway ;) you can actually walk under those arches under those towers, so they are indeed open like in DNL's MOC.

DNL, nice work man as usual, especially on the landscaping. Can't wait to see it finished.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

Really awesome man. When and where in oslo is tihis stuff, so I could pop by some day?

Erik
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

DNL, I never really comment on your castles because I would just be echoing what everyone else says: that it is awesome. Your creations, including this beauty :wink: , have inspired me. Seriously, no joke. When I reveal my newest castle, Castle Leon, you'll be able to see how your style influenced it, I hope. :?

But this one really is nice! That SNOT water technique is really starting to catch on with me, I might have to employ it in a future MOC.
Keep buildin'!
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

DNL and Aliencat,

That is interesting. Thanks for the info. Very interesting indeed. Are they garderobes? Murder holes?

R

edited for poor spelling
Last edited by Heir of Black Falcon on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

They look cool don't get me wrong but I was wondering if you had seen it somewhere before that you based it on.
Noddy's great Tower of Brothers has some 'flying' buttresses, and i think they look very nice.
Or do you mean something else?
EDIT: do you mean the murder holes: ?
Nice castle by the way, is that local to you?
Like Aliencat said, It was. I have unfortunately not visited it yet, but I really like it.
Really awesome man. When and where in oslo is tihis stuff, so I could pop by some day?

Erik
I will display this castle at legoworld in oslo this spring :)
Do you know brikkelauget?

Very cool, DNL.

I like the spread and variety of the plants, and the apple tree in the corner is great. The low pool of water is also a plus. I can't wait to see what this looks like when it's done
Thanks!
DNL, I never really comment on your castles because I would just be echoing what everyone else says: that it is awesome. Your creations, including this beauty , have inspired me. Seriously, no joke. When I reveal my newest castle, Castle Leon, you'll be able to see how your style influenced it, I hope.

But this one really is nice! That SNOT water technique is really starting to catch on with me, I might have to employ it in a future MOC.
Keep buildin'!
Thanks, I look forward to seeing your castle :)
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

Woah, DNL. You suddenly opened a new world to me.

Erik
The Phantom
Freeman

Post by The Phantom »

Great work DNL! the only thing I don't like is your knight statue, he needs a plain grey sheild. :P
><>Ben<><
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Aliencat wrote:Heir of Black Falcon, that castle is called Gravesteen (I'm sure you can find more pictures on google) and it's more local to me than it is to DNL now that he moved to Norway ;) you can actually walk under those arches under those towers, so they are indeed open like in DNL's MOC.
Oh to be in Europe...to see the castles of old, the strongholds of our heritage...that would be truly great.
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

That castle might actually motivate me to come to Oslo you know :P

Great work!
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
raginalbino
Villein

Post by raginalbino »

The foliage and plant life is definitely nice. The water is also pleasing to look at. Not a big fan of the outer buttresses though as some others have add. Imo they just look out of place.
Never enough brick

old stuff
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ragin