Need HELP! Glued Lego displays?

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
Gomur
Apprentice

Need HELP! Glued Lego displays?

Post by Gomur »

I just got a call from a seller who has King's Castle Siege, Dwarves Mine, and the Troll Warship all together and playable for $25. The problem is, they're GLUED TOGETHER apparently. Has anyone ever bought one of these or do you know what this is like, and is it worth it to buy them? IE: Is there a way to remove the glue?
BushiFox
Villein

Re: Need HELP! Glued Lego displays?

Post by BushiFox »

Gomur wrote:I just got a call from a seller who has King's Castle Siege, Dwarves Mine, and the Troll Warship all together and playable for $25. The problem is, they're GLUED TOGETHER apparently. Has anyone ever bought one of these or do you know what this is like, and is it worth it to buy them? IE: Is there a way to remove the glue?
You can't remove the glue, but they are cool pieces, you just can't take them apart.

Hey, if you don't want them I'm sure there are plenty of us here who do.
[url=http://www.fusioncash.net/?ref=BushiFox]Click here for 5 Free Dollars![/url]
Gomur
Apprentice

Post by Gomur »

Eh, nevermind. I found a thread in some other forum suggesting you're not supposed to buy or sell them, so I passed. Probably no big deal, but why tempt fate? I'm still sort of curious why Lego bothers glueing them together. Anyone ever worked for a TRU or Target or whatever?
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

If you think about it, a glued display will hold up to wear and tear better. Makes sense from that standpoint.

And yes, for the most part, these are destroyed after they're retired. Buying and selling is HIGHLY discouraged.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
Mudpuppy
Apprentice

Post by Mudpuppy »

For $25 for all three? That's hard to beat. Even for display. And frankly... that's the kind of stuff you could give your kid (if you have one) so he leaves your stuff alone.

Talk about a score!

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=jnicely1
Gomur
Apprentice

Post by Gomur »

Eh, it's all good. I already have loads of stuff for him. I bought a huge bucket of loose pieces and probably 35 minifigs for $30 at a garage sale this weekend. Lots of Harry Potter, but also lots of stuff I didn't have like hairpieces, minifig utensils, brown, tan, and several baseplates.
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Darkie wrote:If you think about it, a glued display will hold up to wear and tear better. Makes sense from that standpoint.

And yes, for the most part, these are destroyed after they're retired. Buying and selling is HIGHLY discouraged.
Why so? If they are only destroyed afterwards. Is it TLC or the individual retailers that decided that?

God bless.

Tom
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
KDog
Villein

Post by KDog »

I'd like to buy these from that guy if you don't want them!
Lego: Space - The Comic
http://www.drunkduck.com/Lego_Space
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

Voran_the_Scholar wrote:
Why so? If they are only destroyed afterwards. Is it TLC or the individual retailers that decided that?

God bless.

Tom
I approached a store some years back about purchasing some of their displays and they told me part of their contract with LEGO required them to destroy the displays.

When the store went out of business a year later I picked up three of the large Mini-Figs they had on display. :lol:
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

I accidentally bought a glued together 7894 airport. First, minifigs, accessories and some small parts were not glued. Second, I successfully pulled much of it apart - of course, the bricks had glue on them/were semi-melted, but some major parts were pretty much perfect (large glass pieces).

For $25, I would buy the sets mentioned as models - esp. if they have loose minifigs/accessories.

I don't anticipate ever buying a glued together model again though. I shall be more diligent about reading and translating any German ebay descriptions before madly buying seeming bargains!
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

The glue can be of two types: super-glue like and tacky model glue that could be loosened with heat from a hairdryer. I have a friend that takes them apart somewhat for her son's use. Me? I keep mine as intended from LEGO. I have the Batman display, the Castle 2007 display, the large Viking display (3x3 feet), the Creator shelf-talker (2004-What Will You Make), a large plastic LEGO City construction worker (one of the 18 inchers)... I think that's it. My son has the 2007 Bionicle display. Those are some perks for being in good graces with local Toys R Us staff and doing a good deed/service for them Once Upon A Time. I place the display elements on top shelves above my sorting containers. Cant reach up there for sorted elements, and I tend to mix my sets & MOC work up there too.

-Aaron-
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-