Bothellshire Bothy (shown at BrickCon 2011)

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Bothellshire Bothy (shown at BrickCon 2011)

Post by AK_Brickster »

I finally got around to taking proper pictures of the castle I took to BrickCon. It's my largest MOC to date. It features, among other things, stained glass windows (castle and church), a tavern, a secret passage, a prison built into the rock, a round tower w/ spiral staircase, a stable inside the castle, and much more!
I hope you enjoy it! C&C welcome and appreciated!

Picture is a Link
Last edited by AK_Brickster on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
theboywarrior
Steward

Re: Bothellshire Bothy (shown at BrickCon 2011)

Post by theboywarrior »

Is that a little church in the foreground? It's a bit small...probably should have made it larger. Otherwise, great job. By the way, how does one attach a round tower to a plate/baseplate and vice versa? For the life of me I can't figure out how that works.

The little hidden trapdoor is a nice touch, by the way. :)
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

theboywarrior wrote:Is that a little church in the foreground? It's a bit small...probably should have made it larger.
I actually built that quite a bit earlier to experiment with the stained glass technique. I decided to drop it in to add a little more to the scene, but I agree that it's quite small. I also have a pretty limited supply of white bricks. Thanks for the feedback! :)
theboywarrior wrote:By the way, how does one attach a round tower to a plate/baseplate and vice versa? For the life of me I can't figure out how that works.
Basically, you just have to find a few studs that line up, either directly or by using a jumper plate. It gets connected at those couple points and tiles go under it at the other spots where the studs don't line up correctly, if you can envision that lengthy explanation...

I'm glad you liked the hidden entrance! The ladder leads up to a trap door in the floor of the bottom level. :)
eilonwy77
Archer

Post by eilonwy77 »

Oooh, thanks for mentioning the stained glass in the little church. I went to look at the pictures, and it looks really nice. I suppose the point about the church being small is true, but I still think it is a great little building. I really like how its clean white appearance and red highlights contrast with the rest of the scene.
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

I must admit- I did a double take over the name (something to do with a nonexistant "R" if you catch my drift...) but once I got past that I thought it was great. The church is well built, if not overlarge. The castle it's self has interesting walls which I like. also thanks for the answer to the round tower question.(it's been bugging me for ages)
-T.R.
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...
peggyjdb
Royal Chronicler

Post by peggyjdb »

Nice build, you've got a lot going on there.
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

AK_Brickster wrote:
theboywarrior wrote:By the way, how does one attach a round tower to a plate/baseplate and vice versa? For the life of me I can't figure out how that works.
Basically, you just have to find a few studs that line up, either directly or by using a jumper plate. It gets connected at those couple points and tiles go under it at the other spots where the studs don't line up correctly, if you can envision that lengthy explanation...
Thanks, I needed that!

Again, great job, and keep on building!
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
Fraslund
Robin Goodfellow

Post by Fraslund »

I was impressed with what I saw at Brickcon, but this just takes it up a notch and looks more fleshed out. I hope to someday be able to do as complete a moc as this. So far its been restricted to buildings with minimal landscaping.

Great work sir!
Sir_Darc
Freeman

Post by Sir_Darc »

Very nice! It's great seeing it together on it's own, even looks like you've got a bridge over the river as well. I see your Brickcon badge in the back too. :wink:

On round towers, my only experience was with a tower on a MOC I brought to last year's Brickcon, and I found a similar solution as AK_Brickster. It's one of those things where you learn not every stud has to engage in order to have a somewhat stable attachment, and so long as you're okay with a little gap here and there, a lot of possibilities open up.
- Jubal
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

eilonwy77 wrote:Oooh, thanks for mentioning the stained glass in the little church. I went to look at the pictures, and it looks really nice.
Highly appreciated praise coming from the queen of cheese wedges! Thanks :D
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

I quite like the setup, especially the castle. I think you did a great job on all the greenery and landscaping, as well as the fig positioning. As mentioned before, the church is a bit small for being a church, though I like it as an ornate tomb or something of that nature. I would also say that the other buildings are a bit undersized too, but not as much or as noticably as the church. Overall a great and fun build, especially as one of your first. Keep em' comin sir :D .
Back to the front!