Disturbing news about the future of castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Disturbing news about the future of castle

Post by DaleDVM »

I know we have all been waiting a long time for a proper castle theme at this point. I haven't been on this forum in a looong time because of the lack of new sets.

Sadly, this interview hints that castle may not be coming back as a full theme at all.

[url]https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-designer- ... ro-themes/[/url]

If all we get in the future are ideas sets and creator sets it means few new molds, few new prints, few new minifigs, few new castle accessories, few new factions.

Considering this came out on the Ides of March. I feel like someone stabbed me in the back.
jtooker
Admin
Admin

Re: Disturbing news about the future of castle

Post by jtooker »

Thank you for posting that interview - it is very informative. Here's hoping there will be some quality castle sets in the form of creator and ideas. I'd take quality over quantity (except quantity has been zero for a while).
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

The problem with hoping for quality sets in ideas and creator is this. Both ideas and creator work with currently produced parts. Therefore we will not be getting new factions, accessories, animals, civilians, weapons, etc.

In other words, the parts that make Castle what it is are going to be rare to non-existent. We have been waiting for 8 years now for new castle factions. And now it looks like it will not be happening any time soon. I believe that as castle fans age without any new releases the castle AFOL community will slowly move on or enter dark ages.

It is already happening. This website used to be hopping. Without castle sets there is less enthusiasm to be seen in the online community.

Finally, let me say that I have a ton of LEGO castle sets, figs, accessories, etc. I am lucky. Anyone who was hoping to be a castle builder in the future, will be hard pressed to be able to acquire the knights, civilians, and parts needed to build elaborate MOCs with. They are going to do nothing but increase in cost on bricklink and elsewhere.
jtooker
Admin
Admin

Post by jtooker »

DaleDVM wrote:Finally, let me say that I have a ton of LEGO castle sets, figs, accessories, etc. I am lucky. Anyone who was hoping to be a castle builder in the future, will be hard pressed to be able to acquire the knights, civilians, and parts needed to build elaborate MOCs with. They are going to do nothing but increase in cost on bricklink and elsewhere.
This is very true. There are some newer members of my LUG who have had issues getting castle figures.
JBM
Peasant

Post by JBM »

I use brick link to find parts, the prices are very good when you do big orders
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

JBM, I am not talking about parts for MOCing. Grey and tan brick is prevalent. I already have well over a million of those parts.

It is the parts that come exclusively with castle sets that I am talking about. Medieval minifigs (soldiers, royalty, and civilians), shields, weapons, armor, flags, etc. Those are not cheap on Bricklink, and are going to get nothing but more expensive.

It also might get hard to find period appropriate windows and doors. Although you can brick build many windows and doors anyway.
Bishons
Apprentice
Location: The land where the sun beats hot and the kangaroos bounce 'round

Post by Bishons »

Yeah, I was just about to say that. This is really disturbing, so I'm getting some knight torsos, helmets, weapons, pheasants on bricklink before they go expensive.
Bishons,

The key to good MOC building is a large brain and a kinda big wallet

My website: https://sites.google.com/view/bishons-lego-creations/home
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

"...but now LEGO Ideas Design Manager Sam Johnson has confirmed that Creator 3-in-1 is indeed where the company will revisit its retro themes in future."

Does anyone else, sort of reading between the lines, see "retro" as meaning not a 3rd party licensed theme? I.e. not Harry Potter or Star Wars or whatever.
INTENSS
Freeman

Post by INTENSS »

Frank_Lloyd_Knight wrote:"...but now LEGO Ideas Design Manager Sam Johnson has confirmed that Creator 3-in-1 is indeed where the company will revisit its retro themes in future."

Does anyone else, sort of reading between the lines, see "retro" as meaning not a 3rd party licensed theme? I.e. not Harry Potter or Star Wars or whatever.
You don’t need to read between the lines, he’s explicitly saying that. It’s better than not having anything I guess but I’d prefer a full castle line for the reasons DaleDVM mentioned. However, I will say that the collectible mini figure line has given us some really good mini figs, heraldry, weapons and what not. They’re hard to bulk up on though and do get expensive trying to build an army of $5 plus CMF’s - usually closer to $10 each after a while. You need to jump on them as soon as they come out.

Hopefully, we’ll get at least a Creator set a year but I have my doubts. Pirates got squat this year after their Ideas/Creator pair last year and I’m sure both of our Ideas sets are one and done - I doubt they’ll have another Pirates or Castle set anytime soon. Our only hope may be a good medieval/fantasy license at some point.
JBM
Peasant

Post by JBM »

INTENSS wrote:
Frank_Lloyd_Knight wrote:"...but now LEGO Ideas Design Manager Sam Johnson has confirmed that Creator 3-in-1 is indeed where the company will revisit its retro themes in future."

You don’t need to read between the lines, he’s explicitly saying that. It’s better than not having anything I guess but I’d prefer a full castle line for the reasons DaleDVM mentioned. However, I will say that the collectible mini figure line has given us some really good mini figs, heraldry, weapons and what not. They’re hard to bulk up on though and do get expensive trying to build an army of $5 plus CMF’s - usually closer to $10 each after a while. You need to jump on them as soon as they come out.

Hopefully, we’ll get at least a Creator set a year but I have my doubts. Pirates got squat this year after their Ideas/Creator pair last year and I’m sure both of our Ideas sets are one and done - I doubt they’ll have another Pirates or Castle set anytime soon. Our only hope may be a good medieval/fantasy license at some point.
Yeah, but I don't know what license thy could get.
INTENSS
Freeman

Post by INTENSS »

JBM wrote:
Yeah, but I don't know what license thy could get.
Not much out there right now but maybe when LoTR returns via the new streaming series?
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

I look forward to the new LOTR series. A bit less to a theme based on it.

The problem I have with licensed themes, is the fleshies. Many of the torsos become unusable among my numerous yellow castle figures. The sets are also more expensive and it is much harder to army build. However, I am certain I will partake if it is the only medieval"ish" theme we get in a decade.
JBM
Peasant

Post by JBM »

DaleDVM wrote:I look forward to the new LOTR series. A bit less to a theme based on it.

The problem I have with licensed themes, is the fleshies. Many of the torsos become unusable among my numerous yellow castle figures. The sets are also more expensive and it is much harder to army build. However, I am certain I will partake if it is the only medieval"ish" theme we get in a decade.
There is a new LOTR theme coming out???
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

JBM wrote:
DaleDVM wrote:I look forward to the new LOTR series. A bit less to a theme based on it.
I believe by "new LOTR series" DaleDVM is referring to the upcoming Amazon Prime Middle-Earth show, which is not actually a LotR remake but is alleged to take place in the Second Age. There has been no announcement, as far as I know, about a tie-in LEGO theme, and while such a thing is not completely impossible I wouldn't waste much time thinking about it.
JBM
Peasant

Post by JBM »

Azaghal wrote:
JBM wrote:
I believe by "new LOTR series" DaleDVM is referring to the upcoming Amazon Prime Middle-Earth show, which is not actually a LotR remake but is alleged to take place in the Second Age. There has been no announcement, as far as I know, about a tie-in LEGO theme, and while such a thing is not completely impossible I wouldn't waste much time thinking about it.
Ok, thanks!