10305 Lion Knight's castle.

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
jtooker
Admin
Admin

Re: 10305 Lion Knight's castle.

Post by jtooker »

mrcp6d wrote: "Majisto" is just..... sad. Especially given the current BAM wizard.
This is my biggest let-down as well. I'm glad they included him, but cannot figure out why they made every other fig fancier (especially the soldiers) but went with a plain torso/robe with him.
DaleDVM wrote: My first question would be, when exactly did we start judging official sets vs AFOL MOCs?
It think it is a natural comparison as sets have gotten more complicated. But I agree that no one should put too much stock into it, as well as that it would be bad if all sets were in the fashion of high quality MOCs (but [url=https://lego.jtooker.com/blacksmithReview/]I'm very glad[/url] the Ideas Blacksmith was!)
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

My goodness it's been a long time since I posted anything. Honestly, Lego got my attention and eventually my money with this set. The price tag is... high... but I think this is an amazing set and I'd be beside myself if I had owned something like this as a kid. In fact, this set has me so excited that I'm going to purchase a copy of the 3 in 1 Creator Castle as well. This really is the return to classic Castle theme sets that I was hoping for, even if this is just a one-off. It would be nice if it sells well and it inspires TLG to put Castle sets back on the market, without the gimmicks that a lot of the interim series had, but I'll take this at face value, for what it is, and be content even if it doesn't lead to more sets in the future.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

jtooker wrote:
mrcp6d wrote: "Majisto" is just..... sad. Especially given the current BAM wizard.
This is my biggest let-down as well. I'm glad they included him, but cannot figure out why they made every other fig fancier (especially the soldiers) but went with a plain torso/robe with him.
A budget has to end somewhere, right?

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
jtooker
Admin
Admin

Post by jtooker »

The embargo has been lifted and the reviews are out.

[url=https://www.brothers-brick.com/2022/07/13/le ... le-review/]Brother's Brick Review[/url]

Edit: New Elementary has a great [url=https://www.newelementary.com/2022/07/lego-i ... -lion.html]review of the new and rare parts[/url].
Last edited by jtooker on Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

jtooker wrote:The embargo has been lifted and the reviews are out.

[url=https://www.brothers-brick.com/2022/07/13/le ... le-review/]Brother's Brick Review[/url]
Honestly, having read through this review, I'm more impressed with this set. What was floating around before the embargo lifted didn't make it clear to me how all of the areas of the castle interacted, now it makes more sense and looks more cohesive. It's a neat set... it would be nice if there was something of similar play quality in the price range of a gift for a child though.
Kurojaki
Freeman

Post by Kurojaki »

jtooker wrote:The embargo has been lifted and the reviews are out.

Everything is connected in such clever ways

Minifig part is up as well:
https://www.brothers-brick.com/2022/07/14/le ... es-review/
Bishons
Apprentice
Location: The land where the sun beats hot and the kangaroos bounce 'round

Post by Bishons »

Wow! Man this is great! Although the price is a big upfront cost - but still 13c a part is great for all the minifigs and special parts. I have to say I'm really impressed at all the functions scattered around - first the interior of which is pretty neat. Then the other functions like the portcullis and drawbridge, trapdoors, waterwheel, the bending wall... there is so much detail!
And it also turns into a complete fortress which is pretty awesome - and the separate parts can be displayed alone. The minifigures are very nice - and I hope the price is cheaper than the price of the original minifigures on bricklink.
So even though I won't be buying this from TLG, I will look out for second hand deals around the place, as this definitely has some useful parts.
Bishons,

The key to good MOC building is a large brain and a kinda big wallet

My website: https://sites.google.com/view/bishons-lego-creations/home
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Friendly reminder that the new castle is available to Lego VIPs on August 3rd, and available to everyone August 8th.

Set your calendar reminders! :D
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
INTENSS
Freeman

Post by INTENSS »

AK_Brickster wrote:Friendly reminder that the new castle is available to Lego VIPs on August 3rd, and available to everyone August 8th.

Set your calendar reminders! :D

I swung by my local Legoland Discovery Center yesterday and was lucky to see one on the shelf. I scooped it up and ran out of there with 5% off and the Forest Hideout. Great early score!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgufh9qpgKC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=[/url]
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

I went and placed my order! There was not any GWP that I saw on the order. Can hardly wait! It should arrive right before my birthday, too.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

I am hoping I can pick one up with the GWP at the LEGO store today. I can't get enough of those forestmen sets. It is so unfortunate that they re-released the GWP on the 1st and held back the castle until the 3rd.

Kind of a Megablocks move by TLG. Tons of those GWP sets will end up in the hands of fans that could care less about castle sets.
jtooker
Admin
Admin

Post by jtooker »

Elephant Knight wrote:I went and placed my order! There was not any GWP that I saw on the order. Can hardly wait! It should arrive right before my birthday, too.
Same
Kurojaki
Freeman

Post by Kurojaki »

Big shame for castle fans with the Forestman hideout gone within hours on first day. A lot of stuff was released along with some super hero building that day so... Word on the street is there could be still luck in actual Lego stores around the USA. Consider checking!

Meanwhile in Europe right now you could get some Pirates accessories AND the hideout as a bonus, when getting the castle. Who knows how long those last here though
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I've held off on ordering for now, since there are no available GWPs. I feel like if I'm going to drop $400 on a set, I want to get some freebies (anything, really) to go with it.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
TeufelHund
Villein

Post by TeufelHund »

I started building on the weekend, doing 5 bags on each day and I still have another 4 left to complete the first part of the castle. The design work is truly beautiful - the way certain sections pop together is almost magical and the interiors have been pretty good too so far.

I'm a little bit underwhelmed by the minifigs, with only a few new designs, no print on the wizard despite them just releasing a great new blue wizard print in the build a minifig section of Lego stores and I have to admit holding my nose a bit at the decision to give some of the knights heads with lipstick on them (although the later is easily remedied). I don't really care that they didn't give us a king as I have a few of those I could add, but again I can see this rubbing some up the wrong way.

Seems kind of daft for Lego to not hold back the Forestmen GWP to give away with the castle but luckily I managed to get one earlier in the year but feel for others having to pay aftermarket prices to acquire one.

Looking forward to finishing the job...but not *too* quickly.