Restoring white Lego parts.

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Restoring white Lego parts.

Post by Elephant Knight »

This summer I have been restoring a lot of bricks to their proper white state.

I've been using the Hydrogen Peroxide method. Dunk your parts in a clear container with some hydrogen peroxide (I've been using a 3% solution I can easily acquire at the store) leave it outside in the sun for about 7-8 hours a day in the sunlight. And presto! I've gotten results like the one pictured above in just a single day. But I've also had some parts that have been out in several days, and are still noticeably somewhat yellowed, but still improved. Some parts are a lot cause, but overall, I'm having a great success rate.

For those wondering, prints are completely unaffected. Stickers, now that's a bit different. The one pictured above is the clear type of sticker, and seems to have faired quite well. When stickers are not clear, but the white kind, they mostly survive, but looks a little bit wrinkled, or cracked. Though honestly, they are still pretty serviceable.

I highly recommend doing this if you are interesting in restoring your white parts.

Eknight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Kurojaki
Freeman

Re: Restoring white Lego parts.

Post by Kurojaki »

I had searched for a way to restore white bricks last year, when I bought a lot of used 90's lego. I think it was this very same method, but I never ended up using it.

I will do that when I have more to restore. Proven by this thread the results look really good. Good to know about prints too.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

I recommend doing it in smaller batches at a time. I have gotten better results when there are fewer pieces in the mix. I would say about 50 pieces per litre. Gives each piece more chance in the sun.

EKnight

Kurojaki
Freeman

Post by Kurojaki »

Elephant Knight wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:14 pm I recommend doing it in smaller batches at a time. I have gotten better results when there are fewer pieces in the mix. I would say about 50 pieces per litre. Gives each piece more chance in the sun.
Makes sense, thanks for the tip!
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

It also helps to stir the mix a time or two throughout the day, to expose different surfaces to the sunlight. And I've heard to put a sheet of foil underneath the dish (assuming you're using glass) to help reflect the light onto parts that otherwise wouldn't get hit with sunlight directly.

More discussion can be found all over the internet, but here's a relatively fresh thread from BrickLink: https://www.bricklink.com/messageThread.asp?ID=292326
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

AK_Brickster wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:33 pm It also helps to stir the mix a time or two throughout the day, to expose different surfaces to the sunlight. And I've heard to put a sheet of foil underneath the dish (assuming you're using glass) to help reflect the light onto parts that otherwise wouldn't get hit with sunlight directly.

More discussion can be found all over the internet, but here's a relatively fresh thread from BrickLink: https://www.bricklink.com/messageThread.asp?ID=292326
Yes, stirring is very important. I do it every 45 minutes or so.

I hadn't heard of putting the foil underneath to reflect light, But it makes sense. I need to remember that next time I do it. Might be next summer, days are starting to be shorted and colder up here.

EKnight