40601 Majisto’s Magical Workshop GWP

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
jtooker
Admin
Admin

40601 Majisto’s Magical Workshop GWP

Post by jtooker »

LEGO has announced 40601 Majisto’s Magical Workshop as an upcoming gift-with-purchase (GWP). Edit: it will be available for Insiders Weekend with a purchase of $250 or more from 11/18 - 11/19

The model stays pretty true to the original set. There is an updated Dragon Master's torso piece, but no printed shields. Majisto is the same version as in the Lion Knight's Castle (none-printed torso).

Kurojaki
Freeman

Re: 40601 Majisto’s Magical Workshop GWP

Post by Kurojaki »

I would say it's quite good remake true to the original, although without nothing new besides the Dragon master torso. I guess that no old, long lost things returned either, except for the magic scroll maybe? It seems a sticker remake - but glad to see it though. Shame about no shield and also minifigs being seemingly weaker than the original, but to be honest shouldn't ask too much from something you get as a bonus gift. I'm guessing and hoping that the updated torso will be available from Pick a Brick at some point later.

I believe I'm getting this set. I'll do my next major Lego order when it's available. Anyway this kind of GWPs are always very welcome. It's good that castle isn't entirely forgotten theme.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

A nice little tribute, and quite faithful. Dragon masters were never one of my favorite themes, I would even say least favorite. I definitely won't be going out of my way to get this. It's faithful, recognizable, but still kinda boring.

A bit of an odd choice for a GWP. Were Dragon Masters that popular? And missing the iconic dragon plumes, it really doesn't feel like a real dragon master set.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
jtooker
Admin
Admin

Post by jtooker »

My 2¢ on the set itself. Some background: Dragon Masters is my favorite castle line.

The set appears to be a faithful reproduction of the original set. Having a new print of the Dragon Master's torso is nice and hopefully it'll appear again, especially on PAB. This was one of my favorite sets as a child, and it looks like this set functions in the same way. There are a nice amount of weapons.

But it is missing two key components: 1) Dragon Masters Shield and 2) Dragon plumes. I was really hoping they'd include these (especially the shield). I understand them not bringing back the helmet and even using the same Majisto as Lion Knight's Castle (though I would have preferred a reprint of the classic torso). Without two two pieces, I find it boggling why they picked this set to recreate.

As far as the $250 requirement, I think this is balanced out with the x2 VIP points (but I would have rather had a $150 requirement and regular VIP points). It is interesting this set sold originally for $26, which is worth about $55 today, but the GWP 'price' is $30. Originally 185 pieces, now 365 pieces (though I'm sure using smaller pieces).
Kurojaki
Freeman

Post by Kurojaki »

jtooker wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:58 pm As far as the $250 requirement, I think this is balanced out with the x2 VIP points (but I would have rather had a $150 requirement and regular VIP points). It is interesting this set sold originally for $26, which is worth about $55 today, but the GWP 'price' is $30. Originally 185 pieces, now 365 pieces (though I'm sure using smaller pieces).
Now it's been very generous weekend with bonuses at the store, and I guess if this was to be released any other time of the year, the requirement would have been way lower. I gladly bought soon-to-be-retired IDEAS Blacksmith shop with 35 bucks off. Just ~100 to Pick a Brick, which I had to do anyway, and there comes doubled VIP points and two GWPs. Nice bonus rather than a must have set, but it motivated me to expand and rebuild my brick collection.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I've got to be the as target a demographic as possible for this: I was 6 in 1993, my oldest LEGO catalogue that I clearly remember staring at was that year, and my younger brother had this set our entire childhood. It's close to the top of my "I really should pick that up..." from childhood list.

And since I already have a couple original Majisto figs AND the Dragon Master who comes with the original set, the hut itself is what I need, right?

So, I ought to really like this. And I do, but...

- but not enough to buy $230 dollars of other LEGO in one go.

- but not enough to be HAPPY with what we got.

- but I want MORE.

I agree that the lack of a new shield is disappointing (even a stickered one), and that any sort of new Dragon plume would have turned this into an instant buy. I also agree that the best thing this has going is that it likely portends the wider availability of that new torso, at least through Bricks N Pieces.

My biggest conflict is that I like Dragon Masters sufficiently to REALLY want them to succeed: I want MORE of this like a Classic-Space fan wants ever more Galaxy Explorers, but I don't think they're really done enough to launch that. Almost every set with Majisto had some element of "this is Majisto's house" to it--something completely original that wasn't simply the look of the old set mimicked in modern parts would have been more exciting.

So, I like it, but I'm disappointed that I'm not MORE excited.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I really was looking forward to this GWP, but it let me down in far more ways than it met expectations.

In no particular order of disappointment magnitude:
1 - no dragon plumes
2 - no dragon shield
3 - unprinted Majisto (why not use the BAM version that is WAAAY cooler and already exists, especially after so many people made this same point regarding the Majisto included in the 90th anniversary castle??)
4 - no halberds
5 - no falcon
6 - no dragon helmet
7 - not even BLACK armor, which ALREADY EXISTS AND IS IN PRODUCTION!
8 - weak torso remake
9 - no printed legs
10 - no GITD wand
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

Totally agree with the above points. Seems like a step in the wrong direction compared to the Forest Hideout 40567, which I found very motivating to acquire. I mean, I just don't understand why Majisto isn't printed, makes the set seem cheap. Part of the draw of Dragon Masters is the unique minifig accessories.
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
Kurojaki
Freeman

Post by Kurojaki »

AK_Brickster wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:58 pm 5 - no falcon
It flew away, as seen on the box art...

On more serious note I do agree with all the points listed. The black armor thing is really good point, I forgot that such exist these days. Oh and didn't build mine, it's all still in the box
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

This GWP was fine as a concept. I just bought one from eBay for like $40 and skipped the GWP process entirely. My main issues are the minigures, I have no problems with the structure, as a set. I can't say anything that likely hasn't been said already, but I can cope with Majisto, the DM knight is a huge disappointment.

The shoulder armor looks terrible and it's an accessory I just don't understand and really don't have an appreciation for. The helmet should have been black and preferably one of OG nose guard helmets with the neck guard. That helmet was originally used for some DM soldiers and is just a good generic medieval helmet.

On a side note, I really wish Lego would make minifigure heads with a female face on one side and a male face on the other. I'm not above female representation in Lego sets, even Castle sets, but at this point they're 50% of the soldiers and knights and that just makes me swap out heads. I'd rather they focus on including female "hero" characters in bigger sets like the castle, town square, and CMFs. That's opinion though.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

DerBum wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:57 am On a side note, I really wish Lego would make minifigure heads with a female face on one side and a male face on the other. I'm not above female representation in Lego sets, even Castle sets, but at this point they're 50% of the soldiers and knights and that just makes me swap out heads. I'd rather they focus on including female "hero" characters in bigger sets like the castle, town square, and CMFs. That's opinion though.
This idea is honestly brilliant. I've seen it floated about a couple other places, but it would really solve a lot of people complaints with sets like this, the Lions castle, and Eldorado fortress. Obviously not all minifigs would this work, some headgears don't cover the back, or the torso is gender specific, but for soldiers especially, it would be great. Historical army builders get what they want, and gender equality people get what they want. Everyone's happy!

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

It would be cool if we got an RPG-themed line of CMFs centered around medieval fantasy with lots of non-human heads, and they took this approach. That way, if you got duplicates, you could have a male and female version of each fig.... :eyebrows:
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

AK_Brickster wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:07 am It would be cool if we got an RPG-themed line of CMFs centered around medieval fantasy with lots of non-human heads, and they took this approach. That way, if you got duplicates, you could have a male and female version of each fig.... :eyebrows:
What an odd thing to say. :halo:

Anyway, I finally got around to building my copy of this one - I never had the original, so I have no complaints on that score. I was a little annoyed that the designers skimped out on having working doors, but I've just checked the original and it has no doors at all, so I suppose it's an improvement (I was sure I remembered the original was fronted with a couple of these).