2 questions regarding 6073 - Knight's Castle and the BF

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Webrain
Journeyman

2 questions regarding 6073 - Knight's Castle and the BF

Post by Webrain »

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6073

1. Can anyone give me a reason (TLC or historic) why TLC made the gate there red?

2. How come the flags there that were Green/White converted in the 6074 - Black Falcon's Fortress became Blue/White.

Back on those days (1986), when me and a friend of mine, lack of better names for them we use to refer to them as the Green Castle and the Blue Castle. :lol:
Jojo
Master

Re: 2 questions regarding 6073 - Knight's Castle and the BF

Post by Jojo »

Hi Yaron!

Webrain wrote:1. Can anyone give me a reason (TLC or historic) why TLC made the gate there red?
I guess they simply wanted to let it look more interesting than just plain grey. Since it is a small castle there is not much room around the gate for decorations like 6080 King's Castle has it.
But hm... The black knight is wearing a red coat.
2. How come the flags there that were Green/White converted in the 6074 - Black Falcon's Fortress became Blue/White.
I don't know why they decided on green flags for the 6073-knights in the first place. However, the change of the colours in 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress is a good thing. So we have one family (the Falcons) that is divided in two lines that each have their own colours and castles while carrying the same coat of arms. You can also notice a change from red-yellow to red-blue between 6080 and 6081.

As for the Lions it's pretty clear that the colour besides the red flag indicates the colour of the shield. In 6080 the mounted knight with the yellow shield is the Lord of the castle (red-yellow flags), in 6081 (red-blue) the knight with the blue shield is the lord.

As for the Falcons it's not that obvious, though...
However, a yellow-white flag might have looked quite mean, so maybe this is the reason why they decided on green flags instead. And I admit that my theory about the shield-flag-colour-coincidence doesn't work with the Falcons, looking at the respective Falcon lords.

Bye
Jojo

architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Yaron,

I always thought that 6073 was once broken and it was quickly repaired with cheaper red bricks :wink:

I like the original flags used by the "Eagle" knights. Maybe the theme was redeveloped for the newer sets like 6074.

Ben E.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Hi Jojo
As for the Falcons it's not that obvious, though...
However, a yellow-white flag might have looked quite mean, so maybe this is the reason why they decided on green flags instead.
Well come to think of it... don't look bad at all

I have the real instructions of 6062 - Battering Ram.
On the front page there, you can see mistakenly that BF shield with Green background rather then Blue.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/irod/ ... 62_ins.jpg

If only TLC also made a mistake on the real plastic shield in the set :lol: :lol: :lol: